[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] *** The New Amiga 3500 !!! ***

a665@mindlink.UUCP (Anthon Pang) (11/15/90)

maniac@cleanhead.cs.unlv.edu writes:
> [...] At the Amiga Booth at
> COMDEX yesterday, I overheard one of the CBM Reps discussing
> the A3500.  I didn't hear any details, but he seemed pretty
> open about it at the time.

Heard it mentioned here too.  A CBM (Canada) rep was here on campus giving a
demo of the 3000 and their new 286 Laptop...and mentioned the 2000, the 2500
with 030, the 3000 with 030, and then...the 3500 with an 040! (that was more
than I expected to hear at the demo :)  Of course, he also said, Commodore had
AmigaDOS running concurrently with Unix back east :P...nonetheless, an
informative session.

maniac@cleanhead.cs.unlv.edu (Eric J. Schwertfeger) (11/15/90)

In article <7986@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:
) In article <6026@munnari.oz.au> jimt@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Jim Trivellas) writes:
) >
) >	I just obtained a copy of the November issue of the British Magazine
) >"AMIGA USER INTERNATIONAL", which has some information on the Amiga 3500
) >Workstation !!!
) >
)
) Actually, I doubt that CBM commented on anything here.  I wonder if
) that picture is really of a 3500.  It takes little effort to stick a
) "3500" on an MS-DOS machine.  The early reviews of the CDTV had "faked"
) pictures of the machine.....
)
) >Has anyone seen the 3500 or heard anything about it?
)

	Funny you should mention that.  At the Amiga Booth at
COMDEX yesterday, I overheard one of the CBM Reps discussing
the A3500.  I didn't hear any details, but he seemed pretty
open about it at the time.

	In case anyone is curious, the Amiga booth wasn't too
bad this year.  I dropped by to see the A3000UX, and wasn't
disapointed, as they had about 4 UX's, a bunch of A3000s,
and two A2500s.  And some of the A3000s were doing video work.
Including one that was GenLocking live video in a WINDOW!  I
thought that one was pretty neat :-).  Easy to see how they
did it, with the enhanced genlocking abilities of the ECS,
though.

	Though if you want impressive video, you should have
seen the NewTek demo of the Video Toaster!  They were doing
all sorts of live video alterations, and once focused the
camera on the audience and removed a person from the picture.
They did it with some kind of movement detection algorithm,
as near as I can tell, because the area behind him stopped
moving, but the rest of the picture didn't.  They took a picture
of the audience without him, then put him in, then removed him
from the picture.  NEAT!  And before anyone thinks they were
just replaying the previous frames, even when the guy was cut
out, if I turned my head, the monitor representation of me would
too.

--
Eric J. Schwertfeger, maniac@jimi.cs.unlv.edu

ccc@anomaly.sbs.com (Cole Calistra) (11/17/90)

You mentioned the vidiot chip as being in the 3500.  It was in the 2000.
I remember seeing it in the schematics to the 2000.  It's nothing new.
Of course I have absolutely no idea what it does 8-) (Dave??? or someone
have an answer for this one??)...
                        Just pointin' that out...

a665@mindlink.UUCP (Anthon Pang) (11/18/90)

jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) writes:
> a665@mindlink.UUCP (Anthon Pang) writes:
> >with 030, the 3000 with 030, and then...the 3500 with an 040! (that was more
> >than I expected to hear at the demo :)  Of course, he also said, Commodore
> had
> >AmigaDOS running concurrently with Unix back east :P...nonetheless, an
> >informative session.
>
> Interesting...  Did you happen to hear whether the '040 was in the CPU slot
> or on the motherboard ?  MHZ ?

He stated it would be an '040 in the CPU slot...similar to the 2500...hence,
the numbering scheme.

A 4000 would then obviously be reserved for the '040 on the motherboard....but
he didn't mention the existence of this machine :)

jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) (11/18/90)

a665@mindlink.UUCP (Anthon Pang) writes:

>with 030, the 3000 with 030, and then...the 3500 with an 040! (that was more
>than I expected to hear at the demo :)  Of course, he also said, Commodore had
>AmigaDOS running concurrently with Unix back east :P...nonetheless, an
>informative session.

Interesting...  Did you happen to hear whether the '040 was in the CPU slot
or on the motherboard ?  MHZ ?

--
UUCP:  ...!rutgers!faatcrl!jimb              Internet:  jimb@faatcrl.UUCP
		Under brooding skys and watchful eyes