[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Help:diskdrive wants to be TWO drives!!

welter@swi.psy.uva.nl (Welter Richard) (11/20/90)

My new golem 3.5" drive mounts itself as df1: AND df3: on my A500
then when I insert a disk it says error validating etc, use diskdoctor etc.
then when I do info df1: is validating, df3: is ok, and when the disk is removed the machine crashes, so what's wrong ??!?!?

Thanx in advance.

faheyr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Bob Fahey <NECR0SIS>) (11/20/90)

welter@swi.psy.uva.nl (Welter Richard) writes:

>My new golem 3.5" drive mounts itself as df1: AND df3: on my A500
>then when I insert a disk it says error validating etc, use diskdoctor etc.
>then when I do info df1: is validating, df3: is ok, and when the disk is
>removed the machine crashes, so what's wrong ??!?!?

Hmmm... I would check the mountlist first. On your boot disk, check unit number
under df3:. It should be 3, not 1. I had a similar problem a while back, and
that's all it turned out to be.
As for a hardware problem, I really have no clue what would cause that... :(

Hope you can get it working soon.

Bob

|      ///| a.k.a. NECR0SIS     faheyr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu  -or-          |
|  \\\///_|                     faheyr@rose.ucs.indiana.edu                  |
|   \XX/  |  M  I  G  A      "'Ere long done do does did..."  - The Smiths   |
|             "...life is seen through the eyes of a dog..."  - Skinny Puppy |

In article <faheyr.659037961@silver> faheyr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Bob Fahey <NECR0SIS>) writes:
>welter@swi.psy.uva.nl (Welter Richard) writes:
>
>>My new golem 3.5" drive mounts itself as df1: AND df3: on my A500
>>then when I insert a disk it says error validating etc, use diskdoctor etc.
>>then when I do info df1: is validating, df3: is ok, and when the disk is
>>removed the machine crashes, so what's wrong ??!?!?

	I don't know anything about "golem" drives, but as far as floppy
hardware goes, it sounds like the drive is confused about what select lines
it should be looking at.  I advise calling the company that made it or the
dealer that sold it to you.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "If your application does not run correctly,
do not blame the operating system."  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)