[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Default Partition Names on 3000

mrush@csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) (10/11/90)

In article <15017@cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:

>	No, not unless you named it WB_2.x: or WB_1.3:.

	This issue came up recently using somebody elses 3000 (Me?  A 3000??
Maybe when I win the lottery...) can the NAMES of these partitions be CHANGED?
And if so, how?  As near as I can tell, they are coded directly into the
Kickstart file.
	If we change the partition name, and then, using a sector editor, like
NewZap, change the same references in the KickStart file, will the system be
able to boot correctly?
	The actual owner of the 3000 really hates that darn Underscore character
in those names....

	-- Matt

    *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
    %    "I programmed three days        %      Beam me up, Scotty.      %
    %     And heard no human voices.     %     There's no Artificial     %
    %     But the hard disk sang."       %    Intelligence down here.    %
    %          -- Yoshiko                                                %
    %                            E-mail:  mrush@cscihp.ecst.csuchico.edu %
    *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
     This is a SCHOOL!  Do you think they even CARE about MY opinions?!

In article <1990Oct10.225406.8679@ecst.csuchico.edu> mrush@cscihp.UUCP writes:
>In article <15017@cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
>>
>>	No, not unless you named it WB_2.x: or WB_1.3:.
>
>	This issue came up recently using somebody elses 3000 (Me?  A 3000??
>Maybe when I win the lottery...) can the NAMES of these partitions be CHANGED?
>And if so, how?  As near as I can tell, they are coded directly into the
>Kickstart file.

	You can relabel them, of course.  It's just the partition names that
can't be changed.

>	If we change the partition name, and then, using a sector editor, like
>NewZap, change the same references in the KickStart file, will the system be
>able to boot correctly?

	No comment.  However, remember Kickstart has a checksum.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"

In <1990Oct15.044259.10564@ecst.csuchico.edu>, mrush@csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) writes:

>	WHY can't the partition names be changed?  The default ones are the
>pits if you're used to the traditional DHx: names (or if you HATE underscores)!

So name the partition 'DH0'.

>	Well, we NewZapped KickStart and it didn't help.  The CheckSum didn't
>seem (that we could tell) enter into it.  We finally used HDToolBox to rename
>the partitions.  Which worked, until we Cold Booted.

Right. Consider... the kisckstart located in wb_x.x:devs needs to be loaded. Up
until it is loaded, you cannot execute any of its code.  How does the machine
know to boot the right file?

>	When we Cold Booted the monster, the StartUp Shell (it was nice to find
>that it IS a SHELL) barfed with an "Unknow command 'run'" message.  And sure
>enough, the 2.0 system disks DON'T have a 'run' command in the C directory.  But
>the partition names did stay changed, and the boot 2.0 partition did seem to
>mount.
>
>QUESTIONS:
>	Where is the 'run' command for 2.0?  Is it built into the Shell?
>	Why did changing the PARTITION names cause AmigaDOS not to find 'run'?

The RUN command is built in to at least one of the shells. Since the partition
was renamed, it is fairly obvious that kickstart was not yet loaded and run,
since changing the partition name in the file you want to load will not help it
load in the first place.  Hmmm...  now how can this be?  We have a shell
showing, and yet there is no way the kickstart could be loaded.  Must be
another kickstart in there somewhere, as well as another shell.

Think about it.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

mrush@csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) (10/15/90)

josef@augs.ccs.imp.com (Josef Egloff) (10/23/90)

>In article <2134@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <1990Oct15.044259.10564@ecst.csuchico.edu>, mrush@csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) writes:
[...]
>>QUESTIONS:
>>      Where is the 'run' command for 2.0?  Is it built into the Shell?
>>      Why did changing the PARTITION names cause AmigaDOS not to find 'run'?
>
>The RUN command is built in to at least one of the shells. Since the partition
>was renamed, it is fairly obvious that kickstart was not yet loaded and run,
>since changing the partition name in the file you want to load will not help it
>load in the first place.  Hmmm...  now how can this be?  We have a shell
>showing, and yet there is no way the kickstart could be loaded.  Must be
>another kickstart in there somewhere, as well as another shell.
>
>Think about it.

this is not a strange thing, it's only the internal rom (36.16). this is
loaded, when loading the kickstart from wb2.x: is failed. it seems to me
that this was a prerelease of the kickstart. anyway there a too many problems
you can ran in, with changeing the partitionnames. do it like me and set
an assign to wb2.x: to dh0: all works fine, until...

>-larry

josef
--
              - Josef Egloff  --  Amiga Usergroup Switzerland
   -> cbmehq!cbmswi!augs1!jegloff@cbmvax.com  -> josef@augs.ccs.imp.com

mndaily@ux.acs.umn.edu (Linda Seebach) (11/23/90)

So far as I can tell, each version of Kickstart has two device names:
The device name of the boot drive, and the device name of the drive it
will ignore. (I.e., WB_2.x will be ignored by 1.3 ...)
So, all you have to do is change the name of the drive you want to change.
However, make *sure* that the name of the drive it will boot from matches
the name of the boot partition.

And of *course* it worked until a cold boot - Kickstart stays loaded until
a cold boot.

--SeebS--