[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Slow GVP '030 accelerator board

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov16.175346.4884@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> yeewei@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Yee-Wei Huang) writes:

>Amiga 2000HD
>Supra memory expansion board w 2meg 80ns ram
>GVP 3001 accel card w/o '882 and w/o 32 bit ram
>
>	When I run performance tests on the machine, I show only a 20%
>increase over the stock 68000! I know that this card will perform much
>better with 32bit ram and a fpu, but it is clocked 4 times as fast as
>the stock 68000, and the 030 should perform better at the same clock
>speed.

You are lucky to see that much of a performance boost.  Don't
forget, the 030 fetches memory in four-byte chunks through
the normal Amiga bus.  Therefore, you slow down with the wait
states and the double fetch.  An 030 will not outperform the 68000
without 32bit fast ram.

>Another funny thing: all my system performance and monitering
>software tells me that I have an '020 instead of an '030. Anyway, if
>some one could either give me some suggestions as to what might be
>wrong, (or worst case tell me that 20% is all you get :-( ) I would
>be very thankful!

There is no magic flag to tell the difference via software between
an 020 and an 030.  Do yourself a BIG favor.  Get at least two
megs of 32bit ram.  Don't worry about the FPU, as it won't
do anywhere near as much for you.
--
John  M.  Adams   --**--   Professional Student on the eight-year plan!     ///
Internet:   jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu    ///

				  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^-------- Great Ceasar's Ghost, Superman!

>	When I run performance tests on the machine, I show only a 20%
>increase over the stock 68000!

That's just about what you should expect to see, without any 32 bit RAM.
Without faster and wider memory, the clock speed is going to make very
little difference, the CPU will be memory bound.  And, with 16 bit memory,
the 68030 is less efficient than the 68000.  680x0 instructions are
based on 16 bit words, yet the 68030's prefetch mechanism always grabs
32 bits at a time for any instruction fetch, even if the second 16 bits
won't be used.  So, on a 68030 with 16 bit RAM, a certain % of the memory
cycles you run do absolutely nothing relative to a 68000.  You do get
performance increases as well, thanks to full 32 bit ALUs and better
microcode, but you still don't win in many cases until the caches are
enabled.  If you're running with the GVP standard Startup-Sequence, you
will have the data cache turned on too, which should help you out a
bit (the OS turns on the instruction cache).  If not, copy SetCPU over
from the GVP disk and run "SetCPU CACHE" somewhere in your Startup-Sequence.

>Another funny thing: all my system performance and monitering
>software tells me that I have an '020 instead of an '030.

Under 1.3, the OS doesn't differentiate.  If you run SetCPU first, and you
have software that follows the OS 2.xx conventions for CPU identification,
you'll find that a 68030 will be reported.

Really, the only real use for a 68030 without 32 bit RAM would be in
floating point operations, which of course require an FPU.  A plain
'030 with no FPU and no 32 bit RAM is about the most expensive way I
can think of to improve your system performance by around 20%.  Add some
decent 32 bit memory and you'll see more like 400%-800% improvement.
That's why the A2630 doesn't come without 32 bit RAM.
	Standing on the shoulders of giants leaves me cold	-REM

lkoop@pnet01.cts.com (Lamonte Koop) (11/20/90)

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
>In article <1990Nov16.175346.4884@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> yeewei@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Yee-Wei Huang) writes:
>>
>>Amiga 2000HD
>>Supra memory expansion board w 2meg 80ns ram
>>GVP 3001 accel card w/o '882 and w/o 32 bit ram
>>
>>	When I run performance tests on the machine, I show only a 20%
>>increase over the stock 68000! I know that this card will perform much
>>better with 32bit ram and a fpu, but it is clocked 4 times as fast as
>>the stock 68000, and the 030 should perform better at the same clock
>>speed.
>
>You are lucky to see that much of a performance boost.  Don't
>forget, the 030 fetches memory in four-byte chunks through
>the normal Amiga bus.  Therefore, you slow down with the wait
>states and the double fetch.  An 030 will not outperform the 68000
>without 32bit fast ram.

No...he is correct in that something is wrong here.  Yes, the 030 does
longword instruction prefetches, and running on a 16-bit bus will cause a
performance hit, but with the 030 caches active, he should be seeing
performance around 2-2.5x that of a stock A2000.  The instruction cache should
'buffer' some of the hit taken by the operations on the 16-bit bus.  Without
it, you are indeed correct that the 030 would act as if crawling in molasses.
The 030 (and 020 for that matter) instruction caches are activated
automatically by the OS during system startup, so I don't see where the cache
should be off, so I would suspect a problem with the board. (Unless GVP is
doing some odd way of hooking into the 16-bit bus that would result in only
achieving this mediocre performance increase on that kind of setup, but I
doubt it.

>>Another funny thing: all my system performance and monitering
>>software tells me that I have an '020 instead of an '030. Anyway, if
>>some one could either give me some suggestions as to what might be
>>wrong, (or worst case tell me that 20% is all you get :-( ) I would
>>be very thankful!
>>
>There is no magic flag to tell the difference via software between
>an 020 and an 030.  Do yourself a BIG favor.  Get at least two
>megs of 32bit ram.  Don't worry about the FPU, as it won't
>do anywhere near as much for you.

There is indeed a 'magic flag' to tell the difference between the two
processors.  Unfortunately, AmigaOS 1.3 (and below) doesn't know how to use
it.  The 'flag' is found in the Exec base structure and can be read by
referencing the Exec-->AttnFlags field.  Bits within this field are set
according to the type of processor/fpu on the system.  AmigaOS 1.3 will
properly identify a 68020/881 combination, but ID's a 68030/882 combo simply
as the former. [AmigaOS 2.0 fixes this].  For a good example of how to ID the
cpu properly under v1.3 or so, Dave Haynie's SetCPU source is what I'd
recommend.  Anyway, many programs that simply check this field will not be
able to tell that a 68030 is in fact installed rather than a 68020.  I'd
recommend running Dave's SetCPU on the system with no arguments.  It'll tell
you what CPU is on the system (correctly...and will also set the 'magic' bits
so that other programs will ID it properly as well...if they are programmed
to do so).  If SetCPU shows only a 68020, then I'd say there is something VERY
wrong with this board.  Also, SetCPU will allow you to fiddle with the caches,
and will tell you how they are currently set.  It would be prudent to be sure
that the Instruction cache at the least was 'on'.

>John  M.  Adams   --**--   Professional Student on the eight-year plan!     ///
>Internet:   jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu    ///
>"We'll always be together, together in electric dreams" Moroder & Oakey \\V//
>Sysop of The Beachside.   FIDOnet 1:3612/557.   904-492-2305  (Florida)  \X/

--LaMonte

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!lkoop
ARPA: crash!pnet01!lkoop@nosc.mil
INET: lkoop@pnet01.cts.com

In article <5749@crash.cts.com> lkoop@pnet01.cts.com (Lamonte Koop) writes:
>jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
>>In article <1990Nov16.175346.4884@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> yeewei@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Yee-Wei Huang) writes:

>>>GVP 3001 accel card w/o '882 and w/o 32 bit ram

>>>	When I run performance tests on the machine, I show only a 20%
>>>increase over the stock 68000!

>>You are lucky to see that much of a performance boost.  Don't
>>forget, the 030 fetches memory in four-byte chunks through
>>the normal Amiga bus.  Therefore, you slow down with the wait
>>states and the double fetch.  An 030 will not outperform the 68000
>>without 32bit fast ram.

>No...he is correct in that something is wrong here.  Yes, the 030 does
>longword instruction prefetches, and running on a 16-bit bus will cause a
>performance hit, but with the 030 caches active, he should be seeing
>performance around 2-2.5x that of a stock A2000.

Absolutely wrong.  While on a few select (and meaningless) benchmark programs,
you may see that, in reality, 20% isn't an unreasonable number.  Especially
if he's got his data cache off.  Try a benchmark that's at least reasonable,
perhaps Dhrystone 2.1.

>The instruction cache should 'buffer' some of the hit taken by the operations
>on the 16-bit bus.

It does.  Without the I-Cache, the 68030 on the 16 bit bus will run slower than
the 68000 on most things, absolutely guaranteed.  But it's not perfect; you
still lose quite often by wasted 16 bit fetches -- the cache isn't all that
effective outside of inner loops; as few as 16 instructions can totally
overwrite it.

>The 030 (and 020 for that matter) instruction caches are activated
>automatically by the OS during system startup, so I don't see where the cache
>should be off, so I would suspect a problem with the board.

No problem with the board.  The 20% is just about right; you mileage will,
of course, vary with the benchmark selection, meaningless benchmarks need not
apply.  The A2630 will behave the same way if you turn off its Fast memory;
that's exactly why it doesn't ship without Fast memory.

lkoop@pnet01.cts.com (Lamonte Koop) (11/21/90)

daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>In article <1990Nov16.175346.4884@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> yeewei@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Yee-Wei Huang) writes:
>
>>	I recently purchased a GVP 28mhz '030 accelerator board, and
>>it is not performing up to par.
>
>>GVP 3001 accel card w/o '882 and w/o 32 bit ram
>				  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^-------- Great Ceasar's Ghost, Superman!

Quite agreed here... :^)

>>	When I run performance tests on the machine, I show only a 20%
>>increase over the stock 68000!
>
>That's just about what you should expect to see, without any 32 bit RAM.
>Without faster and wider memory, the clock speed is going to make very
>little difference, the CPU will be memory bound.  And, with 16 bit memory,
>the 68030 is less efficient than the 68000.  680x0 instructions are
>based on 16 bit words, yet the 68030's prefetch mechanism always grabs
>32 bits at a time for any instruction fetch, even if the second 16 bits
>won't be used.  So, on a 68030 with 16 bit RAM, a certain % of the memory
>cycles you run do absolutely nothing relative to a 68000.  You do get
>performance increases as well, thanks to full 32 bit ALUs and better
>microcode, but you still don't win in many cases until the caches are
>enabled.  If you're running with the GVP standard Startup-Sequence, you
>will have the data cache turned on too, which should help you out a

Dave...this is one I need to disagree with. [Why do I see flames on the
horizon? :-)]  Of course running in a 16-bit environment is killing a great
deal of the performance of the 68030...the extra cycles needed for the bus
accesses are quite time consuming.  However, the figure of '20%' over a stock
2000 with a standard 68000 I cannot agree on as being correct in any sense.
To illustrate, I turned off the 32-bit RAM (well...didn't configure it, so for
all intensive puposes it's off) on my 25MHz 030 based system here.  My
performance figures show the system at 2.1x (or 210%) of a normal 68000-based
Amiga....equivalently a 110% increase, not 20%. [This is with the Data cache
OFF...with it on, the increase jumps to 200% or so].  These figures are with
my term running in the backgound, and several other smaller programs (this is
probably not much of a difference...they should all be in a 'Wait' condition
anyway).  Of course with 32-bit RAM enabled...I get around 7-900%.  This is
rather a poor way to make my point, but that 20% figure bothers me.  If it
were the case that it was this bad, there would be little market for the
various 68020 accelerators around which have no 32-bit memory facilities...the
instruction units on the 020 and 030 are similiar, and have the same basic
problem on the 16-bit bus..AND the 020 does not have a nice data cache to help
it out...  Applicatons-wise, though, I DO agree with around 20-30% though, as
benchmarks are far too simple to measure over the entire spectrum of
operations.  If this GVP board is being tested with any of the benchmarking
tests I've seen though (Ronin CPUSpeed, etc...), I'd more expect a reading as
I mentioned before.

>Really, the only real use for a 68030 without 32 bit RAM would be in
>floating point operations, which of course require an FPU.  A plain
>'030 with no FPU and no 32 bit RAM is about the most expensive way I
>can think of to improve your system performance by around 20%.  Add some
>decent 32 bit memory and you'll see more like 400%-800% improvement.
>That's why the A2630 doesn't come without 32 bit RAM.

Agreed here...without 32-bit RAM, the 030 is rather like a very expensive
chicken without a head....

In article <5765@crash.cts.com> lkoop@pnet01.cts.com (Lamonte Koop) writes:
>accesses are quite time consuming.  However, the figure of '20%' over a stock
>2000 with a standard 68000 I cannot agree on as being correct in any sense.
>To illustrate, I turned off the 32-bit RAM (well...didn't configure it, so for
>all intensive puposes it's off) on my 25MHz 030 based system here.  My
>performance figures show the system at 2.1x (or 210%) of a normal 68000-based
>Amiga....equivalently a 110% increase, not 20%. [This is with the Data cache

	Remember that most performance testers tend to be small loops of
code, which are handled very nicely by a 256-byte I-cache.  This causes them
to overstate the application-level performance of a system.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "If your application does not run correctly,
do not blame the operating system."  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

In article <5765@crash.cts.com> lkoop@pnet01.cts.com (Lamonte Koop) writes:
>daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>In article <1990Nov16.175346.4884@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> yeewei@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Yee-Wei Huang) writes:

>>>	When I run performance tests on the machine, I show only a 20%
>>>increase over the stock 68000!

>>That's just about what you should expect to see, without any 32 bit RAM.

>Dave...this is one I need to disagree with. [Why do I see flames on the
>horizon? :-)]

No flames, just possible misconceptions...

>Of course running in a 16-bit environment is killing a great deal of the
>performance of the 68030...the extra cycles needed for the bus accesses are
>quite time consuming.

The extra cycles simply explain why, without the caches, the 68030 will be
slower.  You have to add to that the fact that the memory you're accessing
is less that 1/2 the speed of normal 68030 32-bit memory.  For example, the
basic A2000 or Zorro II memory cycle is 560ns.  The A2630 and A3000 memory
systems (without burst enabled) cycle in 200ns.  Then you have to consider
synchronization delays -- the 68030 has to sync up to 16 bit memory, since
they're based on different clocks, so you end up adding extra wait states
for most of your memory accesses.

>However, the figure of '20%' over a stock 2000 with a standard 68000 I cannot
>agree on as being correct in any sense.

For real system performance, it is.  You can construct artificial benchmark
conditions that make the '030 performance appear better.

>If it were the case that it was this bad, there would be little market for the
>various 68020 accelerators around which have no 32-bit memory facilities...

Don't count on it.  Those little accelerators sell because people THINK they'll
go much faster with them.  Market preception, above all else, is what sells.
Why do think people bought Apple IIs for 3-4 times the price of C64s, when the
C64 actually ran a hair faster?  The only real significant speedup you get with
these kind of '020 boards is via the math coprocessor.

>Applicatons-wise, though, I DO agree with around 20-30% though, as benchmarks
>are far too simple to measure over the entire spectrum of operations.

That's what I'm talking about here.  Benchmarks that don't track the behavior
of applications should be erased from all your disks.  They are totally
meaningless.  So anything that's telling you your 32-bit-memory-less 68030
is going 200% faster than a plain 68000 is measuring an artifical condition.
It is, in effect, lying to you, since you cannot do any useful work and get
anywhere near that performance level.

>If this GVP board is being tested with any of the benchmarking tests I've seen
>though (Ronin CPUSpeed, etc...), I'd more expect a reading as I mentioned
>before.

First thing you do, erase any copies of the Ronin CPUSpeed test you have
around.  That test basically measures CPU register speed, and as a side effect
has a component that's based on memory speed.  It tells you absolutely nothing
about system performance.  It is totally useless.  It will tell you that a
50MHz 68030 system running out of slow 16 bit memory is faster than a 16MHz
68030 system running out of nearly 0 wait state 32 bit memory, which is totally
wrong.

While I can't recommend any really trustworthy benchmarks, Dhrystone 2.x is a
decent one.  Though, on the same hardware, you can easily get a 2:1 range of
results depending on the compiler you use, sometimes even between different
options on the same compiler.  So simply quoting Dhrystones tends to be rather
meaningless without also including the compiler information, unless you're
simply going for bragging rights against a Mac or IBM.

jeh@sisd.kodak.com (Ed Hanway) (11/21/90)

lkoop@pnet01.cts.com (Lamonte Koop) writes:
>                                                                If it
>were the case that it was this bad, there would be little market for the
>various 68020 accelerators around which have no 32-bit memory facilities...

Hey, who said the every configuration had to make sense?  If that were true,
there wouldn't be any el cheapo .41mm dot pitch "VGA" monitors. :-)

Seriously, there are two reasons that I can think of for _selling_ a 32-bit
accellerator w/o 32-bit memory:

1) It allows one to use an FPU.

2) It makes your base price lower than your competition's, even if the
   base configuration isn't really usable.

Unfortunately, only the first is reason enough to _buy_ one.

--
Ed Hanway --- uunet!sisd!jeh
This message is packed as full as practicable by modern automated equipment.

lkoop@pnet01.cts.com (Lamonte Koop) (11/22/90)

daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>If this GVP board is being tested with any of the benchmarking tests I've seen
>>though (Ronin CPUSpeed, etc...), I'd more expect a reading as I mentioned
>>before.
>
>First thing you do, erase any copies of the Ronin CPUSpeed test you have
>around.  That test basically measures CPU register speed, and as a side effect
>has a component that's based on memory speed.  It tells you absolutely nothing
>about system performance.  It is totally useless.  It will tell you that a
>50MHz 68030 system running out of slow 16 bit memory is faster than a 16MHz
>68030 system running out of nearly 0 wait state 32 bit memory, which is totally
>wrong.

I totally agree with you here...but what I was trying to point out earlier is
that IF the individual in question here WAS using that (or any similar)
program, and only getting 20%, then something is wrong.  My own benchmarking
program shows interesting things in this respect. [AIBB]. The Dhrystone on
AIBB shows a 40% increase over an A2000 (68000 based) WITH both 030 caches ON,
and about 15-20% at best with only the instruction cache on. [I haven't the
heart to turn the instruction cache off ;-)] AIBB also has a few of those
'meaningless' benchmarks incorporated...and they show higher to a
degree...interesting what you can fiddle with here. [Anyone else reading this,
TOSS AIBB v1.0! The A3000 figures are WRONG...v2.01 is latest, and is
correct...to whatever degree a benchmark can be correct].

>While I can't recommend any really trustworthy benchmarks, Dhrystone 2.x is a
>decent one.  Though, on the same hardware, you can easily get a 2:1 range of
>results depending on the compiler you use, sometimes even between different
>options on the same compiler.  So simply quoting Dhrystones tends to be rather
>meaningless without also including the compiler information, unless you're
>simply going for bragging rights against a Mac or IBM.

Yes...different compilers definitely show differences...and certainly what you
get depends upon your compile options.  For benchmarks, many compilers have a
tendency to optimize the benchmark code away, making them entirely useless.
In those cases, the benchmark no longer test machine performance, but compiler
optimization efficiency.

In article <5801@crash.cts.com> lkoop@pnet01.cts.com (Lamonte Koop) writes:
>daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>First thing you do, erase any copies of the Ronin CPUSpeed test you have
>>around.

>I totally agree with you here...but what I was trying to point out earlier is
>that IF the individual in question here WAS using that (or any similar)
>program, and only getting 20%, then something is wrong.  My own benchmarking
>program shows interesting things in this respect. [AIBB]. The Dhrystone on
>AIBB shows a 40% increase over an A2000 (68000 based) WITH both 030 caches ON,
>and about 15-20% at best with only the instruction cache on. [I haven't the
>heart to turn the instruction cache off ;-)]

That's good; just about what I would expect.

>AIBB also has a few of those 'meaningless' benchmarks incorporated...and
>they show higher to a degree...interesting what you can fiddle with here.

I actually like the idea of what you seem to be doing in AIBB, though I haven't
seen the program.  Many moons ago, the now defunct Amiga Sentry enlisted my
help in benchmarking some competing 680x0 Coprocessor boards for the A2000.
It became clear to me that we needed a decent benchmark suite to compare
similar Amigas.  I came up with a simple series which basically ran three sets
of benchmarks.  The first set was traditional integer based artificial
benchmarks, the second was traditional floating point based artificial
benchmarks.  The third was perhaps the most useful, as it attempted to
measure real-world performance.  It used the DBRender program, first as a
test of compiler performance, by building the actual program; next as a test
of application performance by running the compiled program.  I had a clever
script program which ran each benchmark, including FFP, IEEE, and '882 versions
of the floating point benchmarks (the last only ran if you had an '882) and
attempted to produce an automatic text file report of the results.  I have
never had the time to perfect this, but I did see a need for it.  If you read
five different Coprocessor board reviews, you'll find five different sets of
criteria used to judge the boards.  Some standard, any standard, would be more
useful than the typical chaos.

>Yes...different compilers definitely show differences...and certainly what you
>get depends upon your compile options.  For benchmarks, many compilers have a
>tendency to optimize the benchmark code away, making them entirely useless.
>In those cases, the benchmark no longer test machine performance, but compiler
>optimization efficiency.

Of course, one of the enhancements in Dhrystone 2.x was to at least use the
results of the benchmarks.  In 1.1, a sufficiently advanced optimizer could
avoid the whole benchmark by recognizing that the computed result was never
used.  I don't think any Amiga compilers actually do this, but you never know.

>--LaMonte
		      ONLY 230 MILES TO GO