[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] *HAVE* SCSI drives, want only controller. Best bang for buck == ?

jkh@bambam.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) (11/16/90)

Hi!

I'm in the somewhat unusual situation (for an Amiga owner, I guess) of
having no shortage of SCSI disk drives (though the larger the 5 1/2"
kind) so I really don't want to buy one of the "20 whole wonderful
megabytes" drive packages since it would be a waste of money for me;
I've already got 80 megabyte drives coming out my ears. What I want is
simply a controller and some reasonable software support, I'll supply
enclosure, power supply and drive. Speed should be good, but I'm not
too picky. If the price is right, it's a whole lot better than my floppies.

Anybody know where I can get the most bang for the buck in a SCSI controller?
Without case? (Most of the ones I've seen accomodate only the 3 1/2" drives).

Any and all information sincerely appreciated.

					Jordan

In <JKH.90Nov16124419@bambam.pcs.com>, jkh@bambam.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) writes:

>Anybody know where I can get the most bang for the buck in a SCSI controller?
>Without case? (Most of the ones I've seen accomodate only the 3 1/2" drives).

It would help enormously if you told us which machine you are planning on
plugging the controller into.

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.

jkh@bambam.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) (11/26/90)

>>Anybody know where I can get the most bang for the buck in a SCSI controller?
>>Without case? (Most of the ones I've seen accomodate only the 3 1/2" drives).
>
>It would help enormously if you told us which machine you are planning on
>plugging the controller into.

Yes, quite sorry for the omission. It's an A500. I've gotten some offers
of used equipment already (as well as the expected "Sell US some of those
drives you've got such a surplus of!"), but am still interested in what
people have to say on the topic of unbundled controllers.

					Jordan

In <JKH.90Nov26063658@bambam.pcs.com>, jkh@bambam.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) writes:
>>>Anybody know where I can get the most bang for the buck in a SCSI controller?
>>>Without case? (Most of the ones I've seen accomodate only the 3 1/2" drives).
>>
>>It would help enormously if you told us which machine you are planning on
>>plugging the controller into.
>
>Yes, quite sorry for the omission. It's an A500. I've gotten some offers
>of used equipment already (as well as the expected "Sell US some of those
>drives you've got such a surplus of!"), but am still interested in what
>people have to say on the topic of unbundled controllers.

>From everything I have heard, the A590 is the best deal for performance, though
to get that performance, you should probably have another drive hooked to it.
Keep the 20 meg and use it for stuff you don't need to access quickly.

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.