[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] RAD: Problems

IO92257@MAINE.BITNET (11/08/90)

I have mounted RAD: on my A2000:
  6.2 motherboard (purchased in April)
  2 meg SupraRAM in first slot
  2 floppies
  1 Meg Agnus
Ok, here is the problem...I mount it,
put files in it, (it is an 880K RAD:) then
I reboot the machine (Ctrl-Amiga-Amiga)
No Dice.  The RAD: is GONE.  I did this with
my A1000 with a Kickstart 1.3 disk and it
booted from rad and everything....I've even
tried using my Original WB 1.3.2 disk....(you
know, to get around the ARP Mount command, which
someone said sucks)  No Dice...
Any simple fix or cries of 'ME TOO!!!' would
be GREATLY appreciated!
-Brent Cook (Io92257 at Maine)
*Amiga User for 5 years, and thinks he is NOT iggerant!*

lkoop@pnet01.cts.com (Lamonte Koop) (11/25/90)

IO92257@MAINE.BITNET writes:
>I have mounted RAD: on my A2000:
>  6.2 motherboard (purchased in April)
>  2 meg SupraRAM in first slot
>  2 floppies
>  1 Meg Agnus
   ^^^^^^^^--And herein probably lies a simple solution.

>Ok, here is the problem...I mount it,
>put files in it, (it is an 880K RAD:) then
>I reboot the machine (Ctrl-Amiga-Amiga)
>No Dice.  The RAD: is GONE.  I did this with
>my A1000 with a Kickstart 1.3 disk and it
>booted from rad and everything....I've even

The fix is basically an addition to your Startup sequence.  Look for the
line: SetPatch >NIL: .  Change this to: SetPatch >NIL: r  , adding the
'r', lowercase, no slash. [If you want to see what it's doing, leave out
the '>NIL:' redirection, but that just clutters the screen.  The 'r' option
allows the use of RAD: or other recoverable ramdisks on 1-meg CHIP RAM
machines.  The reason it worked with your A1000, is that the 1000 was probably
(unless hacked up :-) ) using a 512K older Agnus.

                             LaMonte Koop
 Internet: lkoop@pnet01.cts.com         ARPA: crash!pnet01!lkoop@nosc.mil
           UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!lkoop
  A scientist is one who finds interest in the kinetic energy of Jell-O
   moving at ridiculous velocities...an engineer is one who can find a
               real-life application for such silliness.

hull@hao.hao.ucar.edu (Howard Hull) (11/25/90)

Well, since it's a holiday weekend and there are only 10E4 students around
to answer this for you instead of the usual 10E7, I'll give it a twist and
hope to be first, and hope further that everyone else reads before posting.
Here we go.  Ref. page 2-26, Commodore AMIGA Enhancer Software manual, ver
1.3 AMIGADOS...

SETPATCH R
"The R option is used to protect the recoverable ramdrive device on
systems with 1 megabyte of CHIP RAM.  This is necessary since Version
1.3 Kickstart is designed to work with 512K of CHIP RAM.

See Also:  Chapter 5, Changing Your Startup Sequences"
My Startup-Sequence has the line:
  c:SetPatch >NIL: r ;patch system function
and that does keep my RAD: boogying.

So I suppose it's RTFM time.  What AmigaDOS needs more than a good RTFM
process is a better Unix XREF process...
						Howard Hull
						hull@hao.ucar.edu

hclausen@adspdk.UUCP (Henrik Clausen) (11/26/90)

In article <9270@ncar.ucar.edu>, Howard Hull writes:

> SETPATCH R

   [stuff deleted]

> My Startup-Sequence has the line:
>   c:SetPatch >NIL: r ;patch system function

   Note that the 'r' is case significant. The lowercase 'r' is the one.

> process is a better Unix XREF process...

   Yep.

                                   -Henrik

|                       Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data                    |
|           ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen           |
\__"Do not accept the heart that is the slave to reason" - Qawwali trad__/

frankjr@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Frank AnthonyJr Busalacchi) (11/27/90)

IO92257@MAINE.BITNET writes:

>I have mounted RAD: on my A2000:
>  6.2 motherboard (purchased in April)
>  2 meg SupraRAM in first slot
>  2 floppies
>  1 Meg Agnus
>Ok, here is the problem...I mount it,
>put files in it, (it is an 880K RAD:) then
>I reboot the machine (Ctrl-Amiga-Amiga)
>No Dice.  The RAD: is GONE.  I did this with
>my A1000 with a Kickstart 1.3 disk and it
>booted from rad and everything....I've even
>tried using my Original WB 1.3.2 disk....(you
>know, to get around the ARP Mount command, which
>someone said sucks)  No Dice...
>Any simple fix or cries of 'ME TOO!!!' would
>be GREATLY appreciated!
>-Brent Cook (Io92257 at Maine)
>*Amiga User for 5 years, and thinks he is NOT iggerant!*

I had the same problem for about 1 year.  I finally figured it out after
a virus scare.

Everyone else that has replied to your problem says to add the r option to
setpatches.  Yes this is necessary for the fatter agnus.
setpatches >nil: r

But, The thing that is most likely destroying your rad drive is virusx.  It
destroyed mine for all that time.  Virusx has an option for the ramdrive.  The
problem is that the option in my research has to be first.  I invoke virusx
without a window (4.01) with the following command.

virusx -r -n

NOTE: the -r has to be the first argument in the command line no matter what
(I think!).  It solved my problem which was the same as Brent's.

Hope this helps some people!

Frank Busalacchi
Undergrad Stanford University
Computer Science Department, Stanford University

frix@hexagon.se (Fredrik Rothamel) (11/28/90)

In article <90311.125658IO92257@MAINE.BITNET> IO92257@MAINE.BITNET writes:
>I have mounted RAD: on my A2000:
>  6.2 motherboard (purchased in April)
>  2 meg SupraRAM in first slot
>  2 floppies
>  1 Meg Agnus
>Ok, here is the problem...I mount it,
>put files in it, (it is an 880K RAD:) then
>I reboot the machine (Ctrl-Amiga-Amiga)
>No Dice.  The RAD: is GONE.
>Any simple fix or cries of 'ME TOO!!!' would
>be GREATLY appreciated!

OK...  ME TOO!!!

But even better! I think I know a way to fix it!
I'm afraid I don't know if this works on A2000s since I only have a 1M-
chip A500, but anyway.

Use 'setpatch -r' in your startup.

This fixes a bug that makes the RAD: disappear on 1M-chip systems.

Hope this helps.
--
Fredrik Rothamel					     Fidonet 2:204/117
frix@hexagon.se				  ...!sunic!kullmar!pkmab!hexagon!frix