[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Mono-video jack

jlee@pnet01.cts.com (James Lee) (11/25/90)

mpierce@ewu.UUCP (Mathew W. Pierce) writes:
>What is the mono-video jack in the rear of my A2000 for?  I tried to hook
>up an old B&W TV to it to see if it worked with no success, any idea why
>that didn't work?

The mono-video jack in the rear of your A2000 is used for monochrome monitors,
not for TV's (Color or B/W).  It should work with a simple monochrome monitor
(EX: Apple ]['s green monitor), although I don't know why anyone would want to
see in B/W with an Amiga... Unless he is using AMAX or something.

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!jlee
ARPA: crash!pnet01!jlee@nosc.mil
INET: jlee@pnet01.cts.com

mcr@Latour.Sandelman.Ocug.On.Ca (Michael Richardson) (11/25/90)

In article <5858@crash.cts.com> jlee@pnet01.cts.com (James Lee) writes:
>not for TV's (Color or B/W).  It should work with a simple monochrome monitor
>(EX: Apple ]['s green monitor), although I don't know why anyone would want to
>see in B/W with an Amiga... Unless he is using AMAX or something.

  More interesting to me is if anyone has ever tried to hook a Sun
monitor up to an Amiga? I'm told that I'll need a new Denise (and my
512k Agnus could use an upgrade), AND 2.0 to get anything out of it.
  I'll also want CA= to release their ethernet board and a copy of
GfxBase's X windows of course...

--
   :!mcr!:            |    The postmaster never          |  So much mail,
   Michael Richardson |            resolves twice.       |  so few cycles.

perley@galaxy (Donald P Perley) (11/29/90)

In article <5858@crash.cts.com>, jlee@pnet01 (James Lee) writes:
>mpierce@ewu.UUCP (Mathew W. Pierce) writes:
>>What is the mono-video jack in the rear of my A2000 for?  I tried to hook
>>up an old B&W TV to it to see if it worked with no success, any idea why
>>that didn't work?

It is a baseband video signal, not an RF (ie channel 3 or 4) signal.
The easiest way to see it on a TV without a video input is by hooking
it up to a VCR, and the VCR to the tv.  Standalone converters are
pretty cheap, but a lot of people already have a VCR.

One reason for the jack being mono is that it can (should) be as sharp
as the RGB signal from the 23 pin jack.  A composite color video
signal can't be.

>The mono-video jack in the rear of your A2000 is used for monochrome monitors,
>not for TV's (Color or B/W).  It should work with a simple monochrome monitor
>(EX: Apple ]['s green monitor), although I don't know why anyone would want to
>see in B/W with an Amiga... Unless he is using AMAX or something.

Or he uses interlace with a long persistance mono monitor, or wants
SOMETHING that works while he waits for the store to get color
monitors back in stock (that happened to me).

-don perley
perley@trub.crd.ge.com

jlee@pnet01.cts.com (James Lee) writes:

>mpierce@ewu.UUCP (Mathew W. Pierce) writes:
>>What is the mono-video jack in the rear of my A2000 for?  I tried to hook

>The mono-video jack in the rear of your A2000 is used for monochrome monitors,
>not for TV's (Color or B/W).  It should work with a simple monochrome monitor
>(EX: Apple ]['s green monitor), although I don't know why anyone would want to
>see in B/W with an Amiga... Unless he is using AMAX or something.

I haven't seen the Apple II monitor, but most monochrome monitors I have seen
are NOT composite video (which is what the jack in the 2000, and 500 puts
out). You can hook the jack into a VCR or a TV with composite video in and
use your amiga in B&W. The reason James lee probably couldn't get it to
work with his TV was that his TV tuner doesn't accept composite video, only
RF. He needs a modulator like the A520. And then he even gets color.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

>>mpierce@ewu.UUCP (Mathew W. Pierce) writes:
>use your amiga in B&W. The reason James lee probably couldn't get it to
                                   ^^^^^^^^^
Oops, sorry, I meant "Mathew Pierce".

John