[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Don't fill your HD

hclausen@adspdk.UUCP (Henrik Clausen) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov27.223354.25258@ecst.csuchico.edu>, Matt "C P." Rush writes:

> In article <1990Nov25.093445.10710@evax.arl.utexas.edu> hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) writes:
> >
> > He did tell me two good things:
> >
> >Don't EVER fill a CBM hd >95% full.. Why? He did not go in depth.
>
> 	If this didn't happen on files that were good BEFORE the drive reached
> 97% full, and didn't go away when the drive had more room on it, I'd say there
> was a problem on the media.  But that ain't it.  AmigaDOS just doesn't like full
> hard drives, and enquiring minds are little curious as to WHY?

   Eh? I've been running the skinny little Epson (2090) I used to have to a
complete disk full condition under FastFileSystem on several occasions, and
the same with a couple of other drives. No problems of the R/W error kind.
It certainly ain't a problem with the File system as such.

   I have had a Seagate ST296N SCSI drive lock up completely because it was
formatted to more sectors than it supported - lost a couple of day's work
on that occasion. If you have a few sectors that are bad, they might remain
unused until the file system claims those last sectors. In that case, it's
of course specific files that have R/W errors.

   The file system will go *very* slow on 97% full disks due to the
extreme degree of fragmentation. I believe this is what the original poster
referred to. This is an unpleasent condition to work under, but no danger
to your files in itself.

> 	Could some CBM guru shed a little light on this, or at least say it's
> been fixed in 2.x...?

   I don't think there's anything to fix. :-)

>     %    "I programmed three days        %

   Wonderful .sig...

                                          -Henrik

|                       Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data                    |
|           ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen           |
\__"Deine Zauber binden wieder, Was die Mode strengt geteilt" - Shiller__/