[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] HP48sx---> amiga ? Anyone know how?

fmcphers@VTTCF.CC.VT.EDU (Frank McPherson) (12/02/90)

There is no package designed specifically with connection between the 48sx
and the amiga in mind. However, it just occured to me that it might be
possible to use the IBM package.  The serial port on the Amiga 500, 2000 and
3000 acts like an IBM DB25 port, doesn't it?
I don't own either the mac or the pc package, so I don't know what
functionality would be added by the software included, but I know that Kermit
exists for the Amiga.  Would it be possible to connect with the PC cable and
use a standard kermit server on the Amiga to transfer files?  I just took a
look in the I/O SETUP sub-menu, and verified that the default baud setting
is 9600 baud -- certainly fast enough for text transfers to a machine which
comes standard with only 32 k memory....

Any other ideas?  This sounds like an interesting project.  Maybe someone could
write a terminal server on the Amiga to talk to the 48sx, if kermit won't
work.....

-- Frank McPherson                  INTERNET: fmcphers@vttcf.cc.vt.edu --

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (12/02/90)

>There is no package designed specifically with connection between the 48sx
>and the amiga in mind. However, it just occured to me that it might be
>possible to use the IBM package.  The serial port on the Amiga 500, 2000 and
>3000 acts like an IBM DB25 port, doesn't it?

I figured that you could hook up a Amiga -> HP with a simple serial cable.

But from what i understand the PC/Mac packages have "editors" and other
programs to make transfering Stuff back and forth easier.

ie. I here the 48sx uses a "Odd" ascii set, so a normal editor
might mess stuff up, and a normal editorcan't acess the special
characters, Like Alpha,Beta,intergral, ect.......

I Don't Have a 48sx YET. (My 28s Does fine) but if i could get a
way to hook up My amiga-HP48sx I'd get one in a Flash!
(Well Quickly)

(AGGGGHHH My Neighbor (A BIO major) just got a HP48sx!, And what does he do..

Puts it back in the box, He Don't have TIME to read the Manual!!!!.)

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (12/02/90)

fmcphers@VTTCF.CC.VT.EDU (Frank McPherson) writes:

>I don't own either the mac or the pc package, so I don't know what
>functionality would be added by the software included, but I know that Kermit
>exists for the Amiga.  Would it be possible to connect with the PC cable and
>use a standard kermit server on the Amiga to transfer files?  I just took a

The software included with the cable is just Kermit and some other
utilities that are available on the HP BBS and the comp.sys.handhelds
archives.

I've been using VLT and CBM's A2232 card to move stuff between my A3000
and the HP-48SX, it works perfectly. I did buy the IBM interface kit,
but that's the most expensive cable I've ever bought, and if I were to
do it over again, I'd try and find one of those blasted 2mm connectors,
and build it myself.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@esunix.UUCP                       BIX: blaine_g