[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 25 pin to 50 pin SCSI

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (12/02/90)

I recently picked up a used SCSI drive, and I want to hook it up to
my 2090A controller.

The drive bays in my 2500 are all filled, so I currently have the drive
sitting outside my amiga, with the 50 connector ribbon cable running back
inside the amiga to the controller.

I would like to do this more neatly, using the 25 pin connector on the
back of the 2090A.

Does anyone have a pinout for a 25 to 50 pin connector/cable?

Also, what sort of power does a hard drive require? I am curently running
it off of the amiga's power supply. I can figure out the voltages, but
how much power does a drive draw?

Another possibility would be to mount the drive to a dummy board inside
the amiga. The drive is a 3.5" drive, so it will fit. Has anyone done
this? Are there "dummy boards" avaliable? Would it need extra support,
or would the sockets and backplate screw be enough?

One other question....The 2090A has two connectors for the "hard drive" LED.
One lights the LED only for the internal ST506 drive. The other connector
lights the LED for both (all?) drives. However, when hooked to that
connector, the LED is very weak.

Is there any way to "boost" the output, so the LED is viewable when
hooked up to that connector?

If not, can I hook up the LED outputs on the SCSI drive to the LED, along
with the 2090A controller, or would that hose things up?

As you can tell, I am not exactly an EE major! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft or {uhnix1,lobster}!starsoft!david
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovic

oovvoo@mixcom.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) (12/03/90)

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) writes:

>I recently picked up a used SCSI drive, and I want to hook it up to
>my 2090A controller.

>The drive bays in my 2500 are all filled, so I currently have the drive
>sitting outside my amiga, with the 50 connector ribbon cable running back
>inside the amiga to the controller.

>I would like to do this more neatly, using the 25 pin connector on the
>back of the 2090A.

>Does anyone have a pinout for a 25 to 50 pin connector/cable?

I have a 2091 controller, and in the back of my A2000HD manual, it gives the
pinout of both the 50 pin and 25 pin connectors.  From this, I can give the
equivalent pin numbers for each of the connectors:

	Internal connector	External connector
	Pin	Name		Pin
	---	----		---
	50	*I/O		3
	48	*REQ		1
	46	*C/D		15
	44	*SEL		19
	42	*MSG		2
	40	*RST		4
	38	*ACK		5
	36	*BSY		6
	34	N.C.
	32	*ATN		17
	30	Ground		7,9,14,16,18,24
	28	  "
	26	Terminator Pwr	25
	24	Ground
	22	  "
	20	  "
	18	Parity		20
	16	Data 7		13
	14	Data 6		12
	12	Data 5		11
	10	Data 4		23
	 8	Data 3		10
	 6	Data 2		22
	 4	Data 1		21
	 2	Data 0		8

Note that there are 5 "Ground" signals listed on the 50 pin side, and there
are 6 ground signals on the 25 pin side, listed opposite pin 30.  Also,
there is the following note under the 50-pin diagram:

"All odd pins, except pin 25, are ground.  Pin 25 is open."

I hope this helps you in making a cable.

  - Mike

--
  - Mike Shawaluk            | If you turn it over, but don't let go,
	oovvoo@mixcom.UUCP         |  you will be upside down.