[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] My A2000 power supply shuts itself off. Why?

husted@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (11/28/90)

It looks like my A2000 power supply died. ;-(

SYSTEM:
        A2000 approx 2.5 years old with 3meg RAM,8088 bridge board hard disk

Problem:
        I was using it for > 6 hours and all the sudden, it looked like it
        turned itself off. The monitor was still on but the power LED and
        fan and computer was off. I turned it off and let it set for 5 mins.
        and turned it back on and it went quit a ways through the powerup
        sequence but then turned itself off again. I turned it off, waited a
        day and tried again it started to powerup but turned itself off again
        during the powerup sequence.

QUESTION:
        Is this a failure mode that anyone is familiar with?

        I took the supply out and did some probing around with a volt meter
        (I have no schematics) I can see where the 115 volts AC is converted
        to 250 volts AC then converted to high voltage DC and switched run
        through a multi tap transformer. I don't know what all the voltages
        should be (without load) I did measure 9.2 volts at the fan (12 volt
        fan) but the fan doesn't budge.

        Anyway, any help would be appreciated. I would like to avoid spending
        the $150 for a new supply.

hinker@acl.lanl.gov (Paul J. Hinker) (11/30/90)

>   It looks like my A2000 power supply died. ;-(

>SYSTEM:
>  A2000 approx 2.5 years old with 3meg RAM,8088 bridge board hard disk

>Problem:
>  I was using it for > 6 hours and all the sudden, it looked like it
>  turned itself off. The monitor was still on but the power LED and
>  fan and computer was off. I turned it off and let it set for 5 mins.
>  and turned it back on and it went quit a ways through the powerup
>  sequence but then turned itself off again. I turned it off, waited a
>  day and tried again it started to powerup but turned itself off again
>  during the powerup sequence.

>QUESTION:
>  Is this a failure mode that anyone is familiar with?

  --Fear not, it may not be as bad as it seems.  I was having similar
problems with my A2000 and had resigned myself to buy a new power supply
but posted here with a discription of the problem.  That post saved me
$200.

   From what I understand, the fan in the Amiga 2000 is prone to failure.
When this happens, the power supply goes over voltage and shuts itself
down.

   Change the fan ... Don't believe dealers who want to change your power
supply ... This is a common problem.

--Hope this helps,
  Paul
--
Paul Hinker hinker@acl.lanl.gov    ///  If it works, it's not state-of-the-art
MS B287	    505-665-4531          ///                           --Hansen's Law

husted@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (12/06/90)

In article <2166.2752a2fc@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com>, husted@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
> It looks like my A2000 power supply died. ;-(
>
> SYSTEM:
>         A2000 approx 2.5 years old with 3meg RAM,8088 bridge board hard disk
>
> Problem:
>         I was using it for > 6 hours and all the sudden, it looked like it
>         turned itself off. The monitor was still on but the power LED and
>         fan and computer was off. I turned it off and let it set for 5 mins.
>         and turned it back on and it went quit a ways through the powerup
>         sequence but then turned itself off again. I turned it off, waited a
>         day and tried again it started to powerup but turned itself off again
>         during the powerup sequence.
>
> QUESTION:
>         Is this a failure mode that anyone is familiar with?

I received numerous responses to this post and would like to thank everyone of
you who replied. It saved me lots of bucks.

Apparently this is a common problem but I have missed seeing it before and
maybe others have. The problem turned out to be my cooling fan. The power supply
shuts down if the cooling fan is not drawing current. I opened up my fan and
found the problem was a fine wire for one of the coils was being rubbed by the
fan rotor and eventually wore through. It did not look like it would be
reasonable to fix the problem (it being a fine wire and in a bad spot) so I
have ordered a new one (fan) from Digi-Key part #P9984-ND.

Thanks again for the help!