[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] dead df0: on 1000

docken@convex.com (William Dockendorf) (12/07/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware
Subject: dead df0: on 1000

  My internal drive has apparently died.  Can anybody tell me
what my options are on replacing it?  I seem to remember that
some user group was selling some modified (Sony?) drives that
could be put in a 1000.  Can I just get a 2000 internal drive
and put that in?  Can I get an IBM style drive and do a little
rewiring?

  There is a possibility that it's not the drive, so I'll
describe the symptoms.  The computer had been up and running
for a couple of weeks and I had been working mainly from the
hard drive when I wanted to play a game that doesn't multitask.
I did the three-fingered neck pinch and put in the game disk.
It started to reboot and put up the "insert workbench" icon.
After a short access to the drive, it decided that workbench
wasn't in there and put the "insert workbench" icon up again.
After taking the disk out and putting it back in a few times
during which it did the same thing, I turned it off and started
over.  This time it didn't think that the kickstart was in
there and kept asking for it.  After turning it off for a
while and waiting, it no longer seems to be able to access
the disk at all.  It starts booting up and gets to the white
or light grey screen and turns on the disk drive light but
doesn't spin the drive.  It does this no whether there is a
disk in there or not.  It hangs at this point with the drive
light on and nothing happening.

  Any help is greatly appreciated.

  William