[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Autobootable A2090

tedg@apollo.HP.COM (Ted Grzesik) (11/30/90)

Hi,

I have an A2000 with the old A2090 (correct part #?) hard disk controller
which doesn't auto-boot (how could they have possibly left this feature out
to begin with?!?).

I remember reading about an add-on card that allows you to auto-boot with the
existing HD controller.  Anyone know anything about this?

If it matters, I have a Seagate 251 (43Mb SCSI) hard disk.

Thanks,
Ted Grzesik
tedg@apollo.hp.com

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities".
                            -- Mark Twain  (Samuel Clemens)

etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) (11/30/90)

In article <4e4d0fc2.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> tedg@apollo.HP.COM (Ted Grzesik) writes:
-Hi,
-
-I have an A2000 with the old A2090 (correct part #?) hard disk controller
-which doesn't auto-boot (how could they have possibly left this feature out
-to begin with?!?).
-
-I remember reading about an add-on card that allows you to auto-boot with the
-existing HD controller.  Anyone know anything about this?
-
-If it matters, I have a Seagate 251 (43Mb SCSI) hard disk.
-
-Thanks,
-Ted Grzesik
-tedg@apollo.hp.com
-
-"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities".
-                            -- Mark Twain  (Samuel Clemens)

Commodore Germany publicly announced it 20 months ago as the A2090B. It
never did (or will) be produced, as it seems. I believe that there is
a similar card anyway, made by a third-party German developer. I will
try to dig it up, if noone else knows it, off-hand.

hclausen@adspdk.UUCP (Henrik Clausen) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Nov30.153345.14330@ericsson.se>, Tommy Petersson writes:

> In article <4e4d0fc2.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> tedg@apollo.HP.COM (Ted Grzesik) writes:
> -I have an A2000 with the old A2090 (correct part #?) hard disk controller
> -
> -I remember reading about an add-on card that allows you to auto-boot with the
> -existing HD controller.  Anyone know anything about this?

> Commodore Germany publicly announced it 20 months ago as the A2090B. It
> never did (or will) be produced, as it seems. I believe that there is
> a similar card anyway, made by a third-party German developer. I will
> try to dig it up, if noone else knows it, off-hand.

   I've seen a tiny (real tiny!) ZorroII card by CombiTec that did this. It
allows autoboot off FFS partitions, SCSI drives and other goodies, and
seems to speed the ST506 drive quite a bit. Worked very neat, but the
company went broke before it was mass markeded :-(  A recommended retail
price at $99 sounded almost too good to be true!

   The product made the A2090 better than the A2090A, and they also had
upgrade chip sets for the A2090A controller.

   Perhaps some other company took over the product??

                                                      -Henrik

| Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data | If the Doors of Perception where cleansed, |
| ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!  | Man would see Reality as it is - Infinite. |
\______cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen___|_________________________________W. Blake___/

asklingl@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Andreas Klingler ) (12/05/90)

hclausen@adspdk.UUCP (Henrik Clausen) writes:

>   I've seen a tiny (real tiny!) ZorroII card by CombiTec that did this. It
>allows autoboot off FFS partitions, SCSI drives and other goodies, and
>seems to speed the ST506 drive quite a bit. Worked very neat, but the
>company went broke before it was mass markeded :-(  A recommended retail
>price at $99 sounded almost too good to be true!

>   The product made the A2090 better than the A2090A, and they also had
>upgrade chip sets for the A2090A controller.

>   Perhaps some other company took over the product??

If someone knows the address of a company which took over the CombiTec
products please mail it to me.
I bought the card just before they went out of business and I really like
it. The only problem: it doesn't autoboot under 2.0 .

Thanks
	Andy

--
Andreas Klingler
asklingl@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

wasp@chumly.ka.sub.org (Walter Mildenberger) (12/07/90)

In article <184e2861.ARN04338@adspdk.UUCP>, Henrik Clausen writes:
| [...]
|   I've seen a tiny (real tiny!) ZorroII card by CombiTec that did this. It
|allows autoboot off FFS partitions, SCSI drives and other goodies, and
|seems to speed the ST506 drive quite a bit. Worked very neat, but the
|company went broke before it was mass markeded :-(  A recommended retail
|price at $99 sounded almost too good to be true!
|
|   The product made the A2090 better than the A2090A, and they also had
|upgrade chip sets for the A2090A controller.
|
|   Perhaps some other company took over the product??

There is a Company called Macrosystems. This company is almost identical to
CombiTec , and the products ARE identical: This A2090-autoboot-card costs
DM 159,- (~US $110). The card isn't expensiver then before, the US$ is
weaker ;-)

The address is:
Macro-Systems
Gahlenfeldstrasse 6
D-W-5804 Herdecke
F.R.G.

(I don't have anything to do with this company.)

Regards
---
Walter Mildenberger, Morgenstr. 55, W-7500 Karlsruhe 1, FRG
SubNet: wasp@chumly.ka.sub.org ****** Voice: +49 721 385090
BitNet: 2 b announced soon * Discl.: none, I speak 4 myself