[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A2410 board

mpierce@ewu.UUCP (Mathew W. Pierce) (11/28/90)

I here that the A2410 board has just been(?) released.  I here that it is
capable of 259 out of 16.8 million on screen colors, but what resolutions does
it support?

Could whoever answers this post it to comp.sys.hardware?

thanks,

Matt Pierce

rsbx@cbmvax.commodore.com (Raymond S. Brand) (11/29/90)

In article <1353@ewu.UUCP>, mpierce@ewu.UUCP (Mathew W. Pierce) writes:
> I here that the A2410 board has just been(?) released.  I here that it is

You heard wrong.

> Matt Pierce

						rsbx

  Raymond S. Brand			rsbx@cbmvax.commodore.com
  Commodore-Amiga Engineering		...!uunet!cbmvax!rsbx
  1200 Wilson Drive			(215)-431-9100
  West Chester PA 19380			"Looking"

huebner@aero.aero.org (Robert E. Huebner) (11/29/90)

In article <1353@ewu.UUCP>, mpierce@ewu.UUCP (Mathew W. Pierce) writes:
|> I here that the A2410 board has just been(?) released.  I here that it is
|> capable of 259 out of 16.8 million on screen colors, but what
resolutions does
|> it support?
|>
|> Could whoever answers this post it to comp.sys.hardware?

Specifications have already been posted on the net.  However, since many
may have missed it (I just read two consecutive queries regarding this
info), I'll quote the post (w/o permission I guess).

----- Originally posted by Scott Hood (hood@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com) ------

The A2410 Hires graphics card has a TI34010 on it and as stated above
uses the TIGA software.  The display is programmable and the most likely
off the self resolutions that will be available are:
1024x768: 256 on screen colors out of a palette of 16.8 million (24-bit)
1024x1024:  "    "       "           "               "           "
800x600:   "          "          "            "          "
640x480 (interlaced NTSC):       "              "         "         "

Note that the A2410 also can have three overlay planes on top of the 256
on-screen colors for three more on-screen colors.  The UNIX software can
directly use this board for color X-windows applications which makes for
a very nice display.
You can use this card with the 1950 monitor but only with the 800x600 or
lower display resolutions.  The other higher resolutions require
something like a NEC 4D or 5D monitor.

I hope this helps..

Regards,
Scott Hood

Scott Hood, Hardware Design Engineer (A3000 Crew),  Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!hood   hood@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
  "The views expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer!"

Overall, this sounds like good news for those who have been whining about
the lack of hires displays.  In all honesty, this "24-bit" card sounds more
like (what Apple would call) an 8-bit card.  Either way, its a step in the
right direction toward workstation-quality displays.  In any event, it
beats the heck out of SVGA.

What questions are not answered: Availability, price, AmigaDOS support,
specific scan rates for each mode, drawing speed, etc etc etc.

Robert Huebner				Computer Security Dept.
huebner@aerospace.aero.org 		The Aerospace Corporation
"The ugliest .sig in the world"

Thanks to Mr. Hood for being the first to resolve this (and many other)
hardware issues on the net.

greg@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Gregory TRAVIS) (11/30/90)

>The A2410 Hires graphics card has a TI34010 on it and as stated above
>uses the TIGA software.  The display is programmable and the most likely
>off the self resolutions that will be available are:
>1024x768: 256 on screen colors out of a palette of 16.8 million (24-bit)
>1024x1024:  "    "       "           "               "           "
>800x600:   "          "          "            "          "
>640x480 (interlaced NTSC):       "              "         "         "
>

>Scott Hood

It's probably been specified before, but I can't find the information.  Is
the A2410 a Zorro-III only board, or will it work with my 2500/30??

Thanks,

--
Gregory R. Travis                Indiana University, Bloomington IN 47405
greg@cica.cica.indiana.edu       Center for Innovative Computer Applications

hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) (11/30/90)

In article <8231@cica.cica.indiana.edu> greg@cica.indiana.edu (Gregory TRAVIS) writes:

>>The A2410 Hires graphics card has a TI34010 on it and as stated above
>>uses the TIGA software.  The display is programmable and the most likely
>>off the self resolutions that will be available are:
>>1024x768: 256 on screen colors out of a palette of 16.8 million (24-bit)
>>1024x1024:  "    "       "           "               "           "
>>800x600:   "          "          "            "          "
>>640x480 (interlaced NTSC):       "              "         "         "
>>

>>Scott Hood
>
>It's probably been specified before, but I can't find the information.  Is
>the A2410 a Zorro-III only board, or will it work with my 2500/30??
>
>Thanks,
>

>--
>Gregory R. Travis                Indiana University, Bloomington IN 47405
>greg@cica.cica.indiana.edu       Center for Innovative Computer Applications
>Just another opinion from out on the green at the Trail of Tears golf course...

The A2410 is a Zorro II board, but the Zorro III bus automatically will
run the A2410 as a Zorro II board, so no worrys!

hclausen@adspdk.UUCP (Henrik Clausen) (12/03/90)

In article <92781@aerospace.AERO.ORG>, Robert E. Huebner writes:

> In article <1353@ewu.UUCP>, mpierce@ewu.UUCP (Mathew W. Pierce) writes:

> The A2410 Hires graphics card has a TI34010 on it and as stated above
> uses the TIGA software.  The display is programmable and the most likely
> off the self resolutions that will be available are:
> 1024x768: 256 on screen colors out of a palette of 16.8 million (24-bit)
> 1024x1024:  "    "       "           "               "           "
> 800x600:   "          "          "            "          "
> 640x480 (interlaced NTSC):       "              "         "         "

   Will PAL resolutions be possible as well? I guess the 800X600 comes
pretty close, can it be genlock'ed?

                                                 -Henrik

| Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data | If the Doors of Perception where cleansed, |
| ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!  | Man would see Reality as it is - Infinite. |
\______cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen___|_________________________________W. Blake___/

hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) (12/04/90)

In article <184e2619.ARN04333@adspdk.UUCP> hclausen@adspdk.UUCP writes:
>In article <92781@aerospace.AERO.ORG>, Robert E. Huebner writes:
>
>> In article <1353@ewu.UUCP>, mpierce@ewu.UUCP (Mathew W. Pierce) writes:
>
>> The A2410 Hires graphics card has a TI34010 on it and as stated above
>> uses the TIGA software.  The display is programmable and the most likely
>> off the self resolutions that will be available are:
>> 1024x768: 256 on screen colors out of a palette of 16.8 million (24-bit)
>> 1024x1024:  "    "       "           "               "           "
>> 800x600:   "          "          "            "          "
>> 640x480 (interlaced NTSC):       "              "         "         "
>
>   Will PAL resolutions be possible as well? I guess the 800X600 comes
>pretty close, can it be genlock'ed?
>

>                                                 -Henrik
>
>| Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data | If the Doors of Perception where cleansed, |
>| ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!  | Man would see Reality as it is - Infinite. |
>\______cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen___|_________________________________W. Blake___/

PAL resolutions such as 640x512 at 50Hz I believe is possible given the
right programming.  The A2410 is not genlockable however.

p554mve@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Michael van Elst) (12/07/90)

In article <16288@cbmvax.commodore.com> hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) writes:
>PAL resolutions such as 640x512 at 50Hz I believe is possible given the
>right programming.  The A2410 is not genlockable however.

Why not ? I see that you can't use it with the genlock cards using the
video port but with the right programming you can produce an 50Hz interlaced
signal which can be used with external genlocks.

--
Michael van Elst
UUCP:     universe!local-cluster!milky-way!sol!earth!uunet!unido!mpirbn!p554mve

hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) (12/11/90)

In article <1415@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de> p554mve@mpirbn.UUCP (Michael van Elst) writes:
>In article <16288@cbmvax.commodore.com> hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) writes:
>>PAL resolutions such as 640x512 at 50Hz I believe is possible given the
>>right programming.  The A2410 is not genlockable however.
>
>Why not ? I see that you can't use it with the genlock cards using the
>video port but with the right programming you can produce an 50Hz interlaced
>signal which can be used with external genlocks.
>

>--
>Michael van Elst
>UUCP:     universe!local-cluster!milky-way!sol!earth!uunet!unido!mpirbn!p554mve
>Internet: p554mve@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de
>                                "A potential Snark may lurk in every tree."

 Because the A2410 card is a seperate video display device that lacks
the genlocking circuitry that is built-in to the Amiga custom chip set.