[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Cheap 68030s

There is a chip called the 68EC030, which is basically a 68030 with the MMU
cut out (according to Tyler Sperry, editor of Embedded Systems Programming, it
looks like they had a batch of 68030s with broken MMUs and decided to sell
them as embedded controllers. Be that as it may...).

This would make a nice chip to put in a LUCAS-style board. It doesn't have an
MMU, but that's not a major problem in an Amiga. No, you can't play games with
moving the ROMs into protected RAM, but it should hum along just fine as an
accelerator.

I don't know how much cheaper this chip is, but it should be worthwhile to have
a look at it.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) (12/11/90)

In article <7239@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>There is a chip called the 68EC030, which is basically a 68030 with the MMU
>cut out (according to Tyler Sperry, editor of Embedded Systems Programming, it
>looks like they had a batch of 68030s with broken MMUs and decided to sell
>them as embedded controllers. Be that as it may...).
>
>This would make a nice chip to put in a LUCAS-style board. It doesn't have an
>MMU, but that's not a major problem in an Amiga. No, you can't play games with
>moving the ROMs into protected RAM, but it should hum along just fine as an
>accelerator.

Unless you wanna run UNIX...

I suggest the Krueger company for cheap motorola chips.  They advertise in
Amazing Computing.  My roommate bought a 68881 from them and had no problem
with it, though it looked like it probably had been pulled from some
equipment.  Other than as the fact that my roommate is a satisfied costumer,
I have no relation to the Krueger company.

--
=----------------Logan-Shaw---(lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu)----------------=
  "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not on thine own