[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] sony kv-1311cr monitor compatibility, need help

kreyche@ubvax.UB.Com (Tom Kreyche) (12/07/90)

Need help with specs on Sony KV-1311cr tv, monitor.

I bought the monitor to use with my amiga 1000; it's been working great.
Just bought a Mac IIcx cheap (puh-leez, no flames), and want to know if
the Sony will work with the Mac 8 bit color card.

Two critical items: monitor bandwith, and electrical connections.

There are no specs in the Sony manual for bandwidth, max scan rate etc.
Is the Mac to fast for it?

The monitor has separate r,g,b inputs .7 V p-p, 75 ohms terminated.
Composite sync is .2-1.2 V p-p, sync negative.

The Mac color card has r,g,b and composite sync outputs but has separate
grounds for each. I presume the grounds can all be tied together (?), for
connection to a single ground on the monitor.
The Mac Hardware manual specifies pinouts but not voltage levels. Is it too
much to expect that the levels are compatible?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

coxc0011@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) (12/11/90)

kreyche@ubvax.UB.Com (Tom Kreyche) writes:
>Need help with specs on Sony KV-1311cr tv, monitor.
>I bought the monitor to use with my amiga 1000; it's been working great.
>Just bought a Mac IIcx cheap (puh-leez, no flames), and want to know if
>the Sony will work with the Mac 8 bit color card.
>Two critical items: monitor bandwith, and electrical connections.
>There are no specs in the Sony manual for bandwidth, max scan rate etc.
>Is the Mac to fast for it?
>The monitor has separate r,g,b inputs .7 V p-p, 75 ohms terminated.
>Composite sync is .2-1.2 V p-p, sync negative.
>The Mac color card has r,g,b and composite sync outputs but has separate
>grounds for each. I presume the grounds can all be tied together (?), for
>connection to a single ground on the monitor.
>The Mac Hardware manual specifies pinouts but not voltage levels. Is it too
>much to expect that the levels are compatible?
>Any advice greatly appreciated!

As far as I know, the Mac 8-bit video has a high hor. scan rate like 34Mhz,
which I am not sure but is around that range. Your KV-1311CR and other
video monitor which has RGB input as they did some years ago, runs the same
scan rate as NTSC, 15.75kHz, the different is so great that you cannot even
tune the monitor for it.

A solution for the Mac IIcx, or other Macs, is to get a monitor designed for
the Mac, mostly single freq., by Apple (the AppleColor 13" is rated best),
or some third party ones. Another solution is to buy a multisync monitor,
which syncs low enough for the A1000 if you want to use it too, and high
enough for the Mac, a more common case than being low enough for Amiga 15.75kHz
. Also you need proper cables for them, and depends on the monitor, you
might need a buffer on the sync lines, sometimes came with a special cable
order (like Redmond cable, sp?).

good luck,
David

--