[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Connecting PC monitors to Amiga

andy@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Andy Colebourne) (12/07/90)

I am posting this for a friend.  If you can help please mail him at
oconnor@uk.ac.afrc.arcb.

----------------------------------

I have recently acquired two monitors, one is a Copam CGA monitor, the
other is an IBM EGA monitor. Both monitors have leads with a 9 pin
D connector attached to them.

I wish to connect (whichever is the easiest) one of them to my
Commodore Amiga A500.

Is this possible? If so, how do I do it?
Is it just a matter of making up the correct lead?

Phil O'Connor
oconnor@uk.ac.afrc.arcb

coxc0011@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) (12/11/90)

andy@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Andy Colebourne) writes:
>I am posting this for a friend.  If you can help please mail him at
>oconnor@uk.ac.afrc.arcb.
>----------------------------------
>I have recently acquired two monitors, one is a Copam CGA monitor, the
>other is an IBM EGA monitor. Both monitors have leads with a 9 pin
>D connector attached to them.
>I wish to connect (whichever is the easiest) one of them to my
>Commodore Amiga A500.
>Is this possible? If so, how do I do it?
>Is it just a matter of making up the correct lead?
>Phil O'Connor
>oconnor@uk.ac.afrc.arcb

Sorry I hit forward key and now you might send it back to your friend.

Since both monitors are RGB digital inputs, you can connect the pins to
the Amiga digital pins. I think the sync rate doesn't matter in digital.
But you will have much less colour available on the screen, due to the
Amiga output.

A better alternative: sell both monitors if possible, and buy an analog RGB
monitor, like the A1084Sd, or A1084d, don't buy the Taiwan made ones, they
are not as good, the Korean ones which looks like the old A1080/A2002 uses
the Toshiba tube and is better.

Best alt. buy a nice multisync monitor which syncs down to 15.75kHz hor.

good luck
David

--
/*    David Tse      Internet: coxc0011@ucselx.sdsu.edu (expire 12/31/90)    */