[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] noisy power line making clock run fast?

ragg0270@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Richard Alan Gerber) (12/11/90)

Thanks to all who replied about the fast system clock in my new A2000HD.
A few people responded that their A2000s had fast clocks also and that
the cause was attributed to noise in the power line, even though it
looked OK on a scope.

Sure enough, if a plug my computer into a socket across the room, the
clock works OK.

Question (for Dave H?): Is the A2000 really that sensitive to any noise
in the 60Hz line voltage. My A1000 and a Mac Plus have always worked
just great plugged into the same source. I can not find anything else
plugged into this circuit. Is it possible something is wrong with
my computer?

(This is really a pain, since I like to use the datestamp feature of SAS/C
5.10.)

Thanks,
Richard
gerber@rigel.astro.uiuc.edu
ragg0270@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (12/11/90)

ragg0270@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Richard Alan Gerber) writes:

>Thanks to all who replied about the fast system clock in my new A2000HD.
>A few people responded that their A2000s had fast clocks also and that
>the cause was attributed to noise in the power line, even though it
>looked OK on a scope.

The problem is inside the power supply itself. If you're comfortable
dealing with the guts of power supplies, a .01 uF capacitor between TICK
and GROUND should cure the problem. If you've never messed with high
voltage stuff before, your dealer should be able to do it for you, it is
a known problem with some systems.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne%javelin@dsd.es.com     ...dsd.es.com!javelin!blgardne  (I hope)