[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] NEC 2A question

griff@anvil.intel.com (Richard Griffith) (12/05/90)

How difficult is it to hook up a NEC Multisync 2A to a 2000?
anyone know? (awww, comeon, someone here knows... :-)

                       - griff

:Richard E. Griffith, "griff" : iNTEL, Hillsboro Ore.
:griff@anvil.hf.intel.com
:SCA!: Cyrus Hammerhand, Household of the Golden Wolf, Dragons' Mist, An Tir
:These are MY opinions, if iNTEL wanted them, They'd pay for `em!

raible@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bob Raible - LSI Design) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec5.155357.3957@intelhf.hf.intel.com> griff@anvil.intel.com (Richard Griffith) writes:
>How difficult is it to hook up a NEC Multisync 2A to a 2000?
>anyone know? (awww, comeon, someone here knows... :-)
>
>                       - griff
>
>:Richard E. Griffith, "griff" : iNTEL, Hillsboro Ore.
>:griff@anvil.hf.intel.com
>:SCA!: Cyrus Hammerhand, Household of the Golden Wolf, Dragons' Mist, An Tir
>:These are MY opinions, if iNTEL wanted them, They'd pay for `em!

I currently use this combination at work. As you note I am a chip
designer and not  an official spokesman for this type of thing, so I am
not certain as to what the "official" advice is. What I have noted is
that if productivity mode operation is desired(when 2.0 is available to
2000 owners) then it is necessary to use separate syncs and not the
CSYNC signal. However during boot phase HSYNC and VSYNC outputs are
momentarily tri-stated and checked for the presence of an external
source of syncs(genlock). However presence of 75ohm pulldowns on NEC2A
sync inputs, the levels are less than ideal and the software wrongly
concludes that an external device is trying to supply syncs and will
provide synchronized 28MHz as well. Consequently the internal 28MHz
clock is disconnected and the system hangs.

The upshot of the above discussion is that ideally the hsync and vsync
signals will be buffered before being connected to monitors having 75ohm
terminations. Typically a TTL buffer is wired into the hood of the
B2000 video connector. The other alternative is to use CSYNC instead,
but as mentioned above, CSYNC won't be available when using any of the
new ECS programmable modes(640x400,1280x200 noninterlaced).

Hope this helps - sure beats trying to figure out why your new monitor
keeps causing your 2000 to hang!

griff@anvil (Richard Griffith) (12/07/90)

In article <16335@cbmvax.commodore.com> raible@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bob Raible - LSI Design) writes:
>In article <1990Dec5.155357.3957@intelhf.hf.intel.com> griff@anvil.intel.com (Richard Griffith) writes:
>>How difficult is it to hook up a NEC Multisync 2A to a 2000?
>>anyone know? (awww, comeon, someone here knows... :-)
>>
>>                       - griff
>>
>>:Richard E. Griffith, "griff" : iNTEL, Hillsboro Ore.
>>:griff@anvil.hf.intel.com
>>:SCA!: Cyrus Hammerhand, Household of the Golden Wolf, Dragons' Mist, An Tir
>>:These are MY opinions, if iNTEL wanted them, They'd pay for `em!
>
>I currently use this combination at work. As you note I am a chip
>designer and not  an official spokesman for this type of thing, so I am
>not certain as to what the "official" advice is. What I have noted is
>that if productivity mode operation is desired(when 2.0 is available to
>2000 owners) then it is necessary to use separate syncs and not the
>CSYNC signal. However during boot phase HSYNC and VSYNC outputs are
>momentarily tri-stated and checked for the presence of an external
>source of syncs(genlock). However presence of 75ohm pulldowns on NEC2A
>sync inputs, the levels are less than ideal and the software wrongly
>concludes that an external device is trying to supply syncs and will
>provide synchronized 28MHz as well. Consequently the internal 28MHz
>clock is disconnected and the system hangs.
>
>The upshot of the above discussion is that ideally the hsync and vsync
>signals will be buffered before being connected to monitors having 75ohm
>terminations. Typically a TTL buffer is wired into the hood of the
>B2000 video connector. The other alternative is to use CSYNC instead,
>but as mentioned above, CSYNC won't be available when using any of the
>new ECS programmable modes(640x400,1280x200 noninterlaced).
>
>Hope this helps - sure beats trying to figure out why your new monitor
>keeps causing your 2000 to hang!

hanging? are we talking about the same article?  I haven't yet
hooked the 2a up yet (does the above tell me that this is a little
tricky?)

                                       - griff

--

raible@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bob Raible - LSI Design) (12/10/90)

In article <1990Dec7.154431.1952@intelhf.hf.intel.com> griff@anvil (Richard Griffith) writes:
>In article <16335@cbmvax.commodore.com> raible@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bob Raible - LSI Design) writes:
>>In article <1990Dec5.155357.3957@intelhf.hf.intel.com> griff@anvil.intel.com (Richard Griffith) writes:
>>>How difficult is it to hook up a NEC Multisync 2A to a 2000?
>>>anyone know? (awww, comeon, someone here knows... :-)
>>>
>>>                       - griff
>>>
>>>:Richard E. Griffith, "griff" : iNTEL, Hillsboro Ore.
>>>:griff@anvil.hf.intel.com
>>>:SCA!: Cyrus Hammerhand, Household of the Golden Wolf, Dragons' Mist, An Tir
>>>:These are MY opinions, if iNTEL wanted them, They'd pay for `em!
>>
>>I currently use this combination at work. As you note I am a chip
>>designer and not  an official spokesman for this type of thing, so I am
>>not certain as to what the "official" advice is. What I have noted is
>>that if productivity mode operation is desired(when 2.0 is available to
>>2000 owners) then it is necessary to use separate syncs and not the
>>CSYNC signal. However during boot phase HSYNC and VSYNC outputs are
>>momentarily tri-stated and checked for the presence of an external
>>source of syncs(genlock). However presence of 75ohm pulldowns on NEC2A
>>sync inputs, the levels are less than ideal and the software wrongly
>>concludes that an external device is trying to supply syncs and will
>>provide synchronized 28MHz as well. Consequently the internal 28MHz
>>clock is disconnected and the system hangs.
>>
>>The upshot of the above discussion is that ideally the hsync and vsync
>>signals will be buffered before being connected to monitors having 75ohm
>>terminations. Typically a TTL buffer is wired into the hood of the
>>B2000 video connector. The other alternative is to use CSYNC instead,
>>but as mentioned above, CSYNC won't be available when using any of the
>>new ECS programmable modes(640x400,1280x200 noninterlaced).
>>
>>Hope this helps - sure beats trying to figure out why your new monitor
>>keeps causing your 2000 to hang!
>
>hanging? are we talking about the same article?  I haven't yet
>hooked the 2a up yet (does the above tell me that this is a little
>tricky?)
>
>                                       - griff
>

>--
>:Richard E. Griffith, "griff" : iNTEL, Hillsboro Ore.
>:griff@anvil.hf.intel.com
>:SCA!: Cyrus Hammerhand, Household of the Golden Wolf, Dragons' Mist, An Tir
>:These are MY opinions, if iNTEL wanted them, They'd pay for `em!

As I mentioned the system WILL hang . This is a prediction of a future
occurence, not a re-hash of the past. To repeat,the proper cable would
buffer horizontal and vertical syncs.

griff@anvil.intel.com (Richard Griffith) (12/12/90)

In article <16390@cbmvax.commodore.com>, raible@cbmvax.commodore.com
(Bob Raible - LSI Design) writes:
> From: raible@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bob Raible - LSI Design)
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware
> Subject: Re: NEC 2A question
>
> In article <1990Dec7.154431.1952@intelhf.hf.intel.com> griff@anvil
(Richard Griffith) writes:
> >In article <16335@cbmvax.commodore.com> raible@cbmvax.commodore.com
(Bob Raible - LSI Design) writes:

> >>I currently use this combination at work. As you note I am a chip
> >>designer and not  an official spokesman for this type of thing, so I am
> >>not certain as to what the "official" advice is. What I have noted is
> >>that if productivity mode operation is desired(when 2.0 is available to
> >>2000 owners) then it is necessary to use separate syncs and not the
> >>CSYNC signal. However during boot phase HSYNC and VSYNC outputs are
> >>momentarily tri-stated and checked for the presence of an external
> >>source of syncs(genlock). However presence of 75ohm pulldowns on NEC2A
> >>sync inputs, the levels are less than ideal and the software wrongly
> >>concludes that an external device is trying to supply syncs and will
> >>provide synchronized 28MHz as well. Consequently the internal 28MHz
> >>clock is disconnected and the system hangs.
> >>
> >>The upshot of the above discussion is that ideally the hsync and vsync
> >>signals will be buffered before being connected to monitors having 75ohm
> >>terminations. Typically a TTL buffer is wired into the hood of the
> >>B2000 video connector. The other alternative is to use CSYNC instead,
> >>but as mentioned above, CSYNC won't be available when using any of the
> >>new ECS programmable modes(640x400,1280x200 noninterlaced).
> >>
> >>Hope this helps - sure beats trying to figure out why your new monitor
> >>keeps causing your 2000 to hang!
> >
> >hanging? are we talking about the same article?  I haven't yet
> >hooked the 2a up yet (does the above tell me that this is a little
> >tricky?)
>
> As I mentioned the system WILL hang . This is a prediction of a future
> occurence, not a re-hash of the past. To repeat,the proper cable would
> buffer horizontal and vertical syncs.

great - I'm not much of a HW hacker - I don't suppose that there exists
a "go out and buy it" cable for this sort of thing - is there? (see
I have a monitor now (1084) but the bloody thing keeps dying on me (heat?
just quits at certain times... I've been told that it would cost as much
to fix it as it would to buy a used monitor from the net..:-(, well, I can
get a 2a for a while, but if I can't use it, why bother?)  well, tks.