[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Source for SCSI Cables, and Disc space for UNIX

jafo@miranda.UUCP (Sean Reifschneider) (12/10/90)

I'm planing on getting a 3000 within the next month, and had a few questions.
Firstly, I'm thinking of getting a Seagate full height 5" SCSI drive.  Since
I'll need to mount it externally, I need to get some cables for it.  Does anyone
make a cable that will convert the DB25 connector on the A3000 (that is what
it uses, isn't it?) to the 50 pin ribbon connector that the drive uses, or
will I have to make one myself?  What I'd really like is a M or F DB25
connector that goes directly to a couple of the 50 pin connectors (I want
an external hard disc and tape drive).  Then I'd use a DB25 to DB25 cable
to connect the two boxes.

What has to be done when I hook up the external drives, also?  Are there
terminating resistors on the internal drive (Quantum) that have to be removed?
I assume there has to be terminating resistors somewhere.

Lastly, does anyone have any idea about how much storage would be needed for
UNIX?  I'm figuring that I'll need about 15-30MB of swap (from previous
experience with X-Windows), so that cuts a 100MB drive to 70-85MB.  I'll also
need about 50MB for Amiga DOS.
--
From the desk of Sean Reifschneider.  Isn't Amiga UUCP great?  Thanks Matt.

uunet.uu.net!ccncsu.colostate.edu!ncuug!miranda!seanr

ford@amix.commodore.com (Mike "Ford" Ditto) (12/12/90)

In article <jafo.3960@miranda.UUCP> jafo@miranda.UUCP (Sean Reifschneider) writes:
>Lastly, does anyone have any idea about how much storage would be needed for
>UNIX?  I'm figuring that I'll need about 15-30MB of swap (from previous
>experience with X-Windows), so that cuts a 100MB drive to 70-85MB.

The current beta release takes up *about* 70Meg if you install
everything, and right now you have to install everything.  In the
future it will be possible to leave out parts you don't want.  15Meg
of swap is enough for one user running X.  You can always create a
disk file and swap to it too if you find your swap partition was made
too small.
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ditto@amix.commodore.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		uunet!cbmvax!ditto
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ford@kenobi.commodore.com