[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] CMI 14hmz hack, only $60

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (12/09/90)

Well I just installed a CMI processor spederup thinggie.

it's a 14mhz 68000 ans about 3 other tiny chips.
it replaces the 68000 (Plugs right in)

Notes:
1) there are 3 versions. i messed up and installed the 2000version in my 500..

* the 1000 version, can put the 1.3 (2.0?) chips on it. has clock.
* the 2000 version, (One i used) very simple. No extras.
* the 500 version, One i WANT, built diffrently then the 2000

HEAT, Hot, WARM keyboards...

Firstly let me say that i installed the 2000 version in my 500.
I only had to bend a "Blue" thinggie,(Capiciter?) and left the RF shield off.
and the thing was producing Major Heat. I do have a ADRAM board, with 2 meg.
and a BIG Microline Powersupplie. (I hope it's big enough)

The keyboard/case above the 'Hack" was getting very warm after about 5 min.
A 2000 has a Fan, (Right?) so the heat would get removed in a 2000.
Hopefully the 500 version is "low power required".
(And Fits...)

Preformance...

well ya get about 40-80% increase most of the time.
LZ was FLYING! (My standard benchmak is to lz my c: dir)
lz was about 80% faster then at regular speed.

conclusion and questions:

1) Is this safe? I do intend on geting the 500 version, because it's very
cheap way to get some speed.

2) What else is on the market for the 500? I here/saw an ad
   for somthing from ICD, but it was $200 or so.

NIce product, breeze to install, simple design.
But might run warm in the 500.

Well anyone knowof Problema with this "thinggie"

CBM people out there, is this safe?
.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still

tessier@bmerh185.BNR.CA (Daniel Tessier) (12/11/90)

In article <yorkw.660679828@stable.ecn.purdue.edu>,
yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
|>Well I just installed a CMI processor spederup thinggie.
|>
|>it's a 14mhz 68000 ans about 3 other tiny chips.
|>it replaces the 68000 (Plugs right in)
|>
|>Notes:
|>1) there are 3 versions. i messed up and installed the 2000version in
my 500..

|>* the 1000 version, can put the 1.3 (2.0?) chips on it. has clock.
|>* the 2000 version, (One i used) very simple. No extras.
|>* the 500 version, One i WANT, built diffrently then the 2000

So that's $60 for the 2000 model? If so, can anybody get me an address
and/or phone number for CMI?

/-----------------------------------------------------------\
| Dan Tessier                  PHONE : (613)765-2380        |
| Bell-Northern Research, Ltd. BITNET: tessier@bnr.ca       |
| Ottawa, Ontario, Canada      UUCP  : ...!uunet!bnrgate    |
|                                         !bmerh185!tessier |
\-----------------------------------------------------------/

cjs@sppy00.UUCP (SCHALLER CHRIS) (12/13/90)

In article <5092@bwdls58.UUCP>, tessier@bmerh185.BNR.CA (Daniel Tessier) writes:
> In article <yorkw.660679828@stable.ecn.purdue.edu>,
> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
> |>Well I just installed a CMI processor spederup thinggie.
> |>
> |>it's a 14mhz 68000 ans about 3 other tiny chips.
> |>it replaces the 68000 (Plugs right in)
> |>
> |>Notes:
> |>1) there are 3 versions. i messed up and installed the 2000version in
> my 500..
> |>
> |>* the 1000 version, can put the 1.3 (2.0?) chips on it. has clock.
> |>* the 2000 version, (One i used) very simple. No extras.
> |>* the 500 version, One i WANT, built diffrently then the 2000
> |>
> So that's $60 for the 2000 model? If so, can anybody get me an address
> and/or phone number for CMI?

 Does this little beast speed the 500 up noticably. how much faster
 will it render an image using Sculpt3d. or how many frames per second faster
 using say one of the many flight simulators.
 I am very much in the market for a cpu accelerator for the 500, so
 any info would be appreciated.
				    thanks.
					   Chris Schaller.

tessier@bmerh185.BNR.CA (Daniel Tessier) (12/15/90)

In article <yorkw.660679828@stable.ecn.purdue.edu>,
yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
|>Well I just installed a CMI processor spederup thinggie.
|>
|>it's a 14mhz 68000 ans about 3 other tiny chips.
|>it replaces the 68000 (Plugs right in)
|>
|>Notes:
|>1) there are 3 versions. i messed up and installed the 2000version in
my 500..

|>* the 1000 version, can put the 1.3 (2.0?) chips on it. has clock.
|>* the 2000 version, (One i used) very simple. No extras.
|>* the 500 version, One i WANT, built diffrently then the 2000

Since quite a few people asked for the same information, here is a summary
of what I have found out so far:

	- CMI is out of business, so that's a problem
	- apparently (not sure), Digifex has their products
	- I saw a 16MHz Digifex board from Montgomery Grant for $199
	- I also saw and ICD AdSpeed from ComputAbility for $235 (14.3
	  MHz, 32k static RAM cache)

So that now leaves me with the following question: where can I reach Digifex
and/or ICD (phone, address or e-mail address)?

BTW, if anybody has one of those that they want to sell, let me know. I want
more power, but I'm not quite ready yet to pay for a 68030 board.