[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A590 XT-disk interface, 2:nd disc possible?

prj@lysator.liu.se (Peter Johansson) (12/12/90)

I wonder if it's possible to connect another XT-drive, perhaps one
with an ST506 interface, to the A590 via the second
XT-interface connector that isn't mounted on the PCB (it is prepared
for one with soldering pods) if I supply external power to the drive.
How should i connect the 34-pin and 20-pin connector on the ST-506
drive to the 40-pin connector in the A590?
If it isn't an ST506 interface for the XT-drive in the A590, what kind
of interface is it?
--
Peter Johansson, Lysator Computer Club
		 Linkoping University,  Sweden

steveb@cbmvax.commodore.com (Steve Beats) (12/15/90)

In article <437@lysator.liu.se> prj@lysator.liu.se (Peter Johansson) writes:
>I wonder if it's possible to connect another XT-drive, perhaps one
>with an ST506 interface, to the A590 via the second
>XT-interface connector that isn't mounted on the PCB (it is prepared
>for one with soldering pods)

The interface is IDE, not ST-506 (though I think they are very close), but
that's a moot point anyway.  You cannot connect a second IDE drive because
the port interface was "stolen" to provide readable jumper settings for the
SCSI sidde of the A590 interface.  That's what the four DIPs on the back
hook up to.  You'd be better to pick up a cheap SCSI drive and hang it off
the D connector on the back of the A590.  It'll go bunches faster too :-)

	Steve