[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A2320 Questions

jason@pnet01.cts.com (Jason Goldberg) (12/17/90)

I just added a A2320 (video enhancer) and A1950 (multi-sync monitor) to my
Amiga 2500/030.  I am really happy with it but I have noticed a few little
things, and I don't know if they are normal with the new hardware, or if they
represent a probelm.

1.  I have the screen adjusted so that there is no black border, and I have
the H-SIZE switch on the monitor set to ON.  If I use the by-pass switch on
the A2320, the screen jumps about 3/4" to the right, so that there is a black
border on the left.  If I use an external genlock, it is also off-center by
the 3/4" so I have to wither have the genlock centered, or the A1950.

2.  If I have any interlaced graphics moving on the screen, they still seem to
flicker (not stationary objects).  If I scroll text in an interlaced CLI, you
can't read the text until it stops scrolling.  Could this be a problem with
the Agnus?  or the Blitter?  I have had a heat sensitive Agnus in the past,
and suspect that this one might be bad as well.

3.  I have my terminal screen set to a light grey, and if I'm not going blind,
then the grey seems to grow lighter and darker, while I am using it.

4.  Lastely, in addition to the artifacts on the top scan-line I have also
noticed that if I make the right black border visible, that there is an
intermetant jagged edge on the right border.

If anyone could tell me if any of these are normal, or if I might have a bad
A2320, A1950, or possibly something else, I would greatly appreciate it, I
want to get any problems taken care of while everything is under warranty.

Thanks much,

-Jason-

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!jason
ARPA: crash!pnet01!jason@nosc.mil
INET: jason@pnet01.cts.com

hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) (12/18/90)

In article <6359@crash.cts.com> jason@pnet01.cts.com (Jason Goldberg) writes:
>I just added a A2320 (video enhancer) and A1950 (multi-sync monitor) to my
>Amiga 2500/030.  I am really happy with it but I have noticed a few little
>things, and I don't know if they are normal with the new hardware, or if they
>represent a probelm.
>
>1.  I have the screen adjusted so that there is no black border, and I have
>the H-SIZE switch on the monitor set to ON.  If I use the by-pass switch on
>the A2320, the screen jumps about 3/4" to the right, so that there is a black
>border on the left.  If I use an external genlock, it is also off-center by
>the 3/4" so I have to wither have the genlock centered, or the A1950.
>
>2.  If I have any interlaced graphics moving on the screen, they still seem to
>flicker (not stationary objects).  If I scroll text in an interlaced CLI, you
>can't read the text until it stops scrolling.  Could this be a problem with
>the Agnus?  or the Blitter?  I have had a heat sensitive Agnus in the past,
>and suspect that this one might be bad as well.
>
>3.  I have my terminal screen set to a light grey, and if I'm not going blind,
>then the grey seems to grow lighter and darker, while I am using it.
>
>4.  Lastely, in addition to the artifacts on the top scan-line I have also
>noticed that if I make the right black border visible, that there is an
>intermetant jagged edge on the right border.
>
>If anyone could tell me if any of these are normal, or if I might have a bad
>A2320, A1950, or possibly something else, I would greatly appreciate it, I
>want to get any problems taken care of while everything is under warranty.
>
>Thanks much,
>
>-Jason-
>
>UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!jason
>ARPA: crash!pnet01!jason@nosc.mil
>INET: jason@pnet01.cts.com

1) This is normal and is the difference between the 15Khz and 31Khz
responce from the monitor.

2) This is the normal de-interlaced motion artifacts that are present in
this display mode and the A2320.

3) I have no idea what this is!

4) This is the Denise bug that is fixed in the ECS Denise chip.  I would
just adjust the 1950 such that I don't see this edge.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Scott Hood

Scott Hood, Hardware Design Engineer (A3000 Crew),  Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!hood   hood@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
  "The views expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer!"