[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Keyboard extension cord for Amiga 1000.

I've stuck my old 1000 into the TV for my son to play with, but it's too high
for him to reach the keyboard. I'd like to replace the coiled keyboard cord
with a longer one...

What sort of cord do I need for the 1000 if I want to extend the keyboard
cord? It's a narrow 4-pin modular cord, so regular phone extension cords won't
work. Handset cords are 2-conductor, so they're no good. I can build a cord
if needed... I have a crimping tool... I just need to know if it's reversed
or not.

Please reply via mail. I will summarise.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (12/18/90)

In article <7278@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>I've stuck my old 1000 into the TV for my son to play with, but it's too high
>for him to reach the keyboard. I'd like to replace the coiled keyboard cord
>with a longer one...
>
>What sort of cord do I need for the 1000 if I want to extend the keyboard
>cord? It's a narrow 4-pin modular cord, so regular phone extension cords won't
>work. Handset cords are 2-conductor, so they're no good. I can build a cord
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	 Radio Shack carries 4 conductor handset cords. Beside I think if
	 you check you will find that the most handset cords are normally 4
	 conductor.
	 There may be a reversal problem on the handset cord though. Check
	 one out with an Ohm meter.

	 Monty Saine

a808@mindlink.UUCP (David R. Matthews) (12/18/90)

Handset cords are 4 conductor. Your problem will most likely be with what
length you wish to extend the keyboard by. On my 1000 I tried a 25' (stretched)
cord and it would not work. A 14' cord (stretched) worked for many years until
I upgraded. I guess the 25' cord was just too long to power the keyboard. One
suggestion, use the crimper on some standard telephone line cord, not the curly
handset cord. The line cord material usually has better conductors and that
usually equates to more distance.

davem@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Dave K. Martin) (12/18/90)

Recently, I replaced the keyboard cable on my A-1000 with a standard
telephone handset cord and it works great.  I checked the continuity
of the conductors in both cords first.  The A-1000 keyboard cable does
have the conductors 'rolled'.

I also am using a Radio Shack 9-pin joystick extension cable, 10 feet long,
on the mouse.

(Now if I can only automate the floppy changes so I don't have to get up ;-) )

Hope this helps.