[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A2090 transfer rate

dave@ridley.coyote.trw.com (Dave Agabra) (12/07/90)

    I have an old A2000 (rev 4.2) with an A2052 (?) 2MB memory board, a
A2090 disk controller, and a 20Mb Miniscribe disk drive.  Below are the
results I get with DiskPerf.  Are these normal for this hardware setup?
Also, DiskPerf starts getting R/W errors when it gets to a buffer size
of greater than 32k, which doesn't seem good.  I'm running 1.3, of course.

File create/delete:    create 11 files/sec, delete 30 files/sec
Directory scan:	    89 entries/sec
Seek/read test:	    91 seek/reads per second
r/w speed:	    buf 512 bytes, rd 67216 byte/sec, wr 26192 byte/sec
r/w speed:	    buf 4096 bytes, rd 114598 byte/sec, wr 88239 byte/sec
r/w speed:	    buf 8192 bytes, rd 147686 byte/sec, wr 102801 byte/sec
r/w speed:	    buf 32768 bytes, rd 166882 byte/sec, wr 108100 byte/sec

    Here's my mountlist entry for this partition:

FF0:
    Device = hddisk.device
    FileSystem = l:FastFileSystem
    Unit   = 1
    Flags  = 0
    Surfaces  = 4
    BlocksPerTrack = 17
    Reserved = 2
    Interleave = 0
    LowCyl = 28  ;  HighCyl = 611
    Buffers = 30
    GlobVec = 1
    BufMemType = 0
    DosType = 0x444F5301
    StackSize = 4000

    Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

			---- Dave

  One can certainly imagine the myriad of uses     dave@elwood.coyote.trw.com
  for a hand-held iguana maker.   -- Hobbes        {cit-vax | trwrb}!wiley!dave

hclausen@adspdk.UUCP (Henrik Clausen) (12/10/90)

In article <275ED943.1B02@wilbur.coyote.trw.com>, Dave Agabra writes:

>     I have an old A2000 (rev 4.2) with an A2052 (?) 2MB memory board, a
> A2090 disk controller, and a 20Mb Miniscribe disk drive.  Below are the
> results I get with DiskPerf.  Are these normal for this hardware setup?

   [DiskPerf result lived here]

> r/w speed:	    buf 32768 bytes, rd 166882 byte/sec, wr 108100 byte/sec

   For a 20M ST 506 drive, this is what you'd expect. I got 170K - 230K in
my A2090 setup on max buffers. If the partition is empty, it could be
marginally better, though not enough to bother about.

   If you put in a SCSI drive, you'll get much better speeds, though not
quite up to todays standards (A2091, GVP, Supra, Golem SCSI-II, ...)

   Dunno about the R/W errors at large buffer sizes, that sure didn't occur
on my A2090.

                                                      -Henrik
| Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data | If the Doors of Perception where cleansed, |
| ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!  | Man would see Reality as it is - Infinite. |
\______cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen___|_________________________________W. Blake___/

rumbo@impch.imp.com (Peter Kunz) (12/18/90)

In article <18574e24.ARN11e2@adspdk.UUCP> hclausen@adspdk.UUCP writes:
>quite up to todays standards (A2091, GVP, Supra, Golem SCSI-II, ...)

so which is the best controller? is the new gvp really that good? what are
transfer rates on other controllers? i get about 690kb/s out of my a2091
with 256kb buffer.

cu
pete

--
Peter Kunz	P.O. Box 315	4106 Therwil	Switzerland
rumbo@subch.imp.com		voice: +4161737556

hclausen@adspdk.UUCP (Henrik Clausen) (12/19/90)

In article <1990Dec18.012211.19803@impch.imp.com>, Peter Kunz writes:

> In article <18574e24.ARN11e2@adspdk.UUCP> hclausen@adspdk.UUCP writes:
> >quite up to todays standards (A2091, GVP, Supra, Golem SCSI-II, ...)
>
> so which is the best controller? is the new gvp really that good? what are
> transfer rates on other controllers? i get about 690kb/s out of my a2091
> with 256kb buffer.

   Actually, they're all so good it hardly matters. The Golem is said to be
the fastest, and the GVP is indeed nice as well. But at these transfer
rates, even a fat Quantum drive is the speed limiting factor. And noone
could subjectively tell the difference between the 690K/Second of you A2091
and the quoted 800K/second of the Golem.

   Personally, I have the equivalent of the A2091 in my A3000, and it does
it's job so good (760K/second) I have no desire for other controllers.