[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] VT100v2.9 losing characters

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (12/20/90)

In article <1439@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>
U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) writes:

>I believe I do have my preferences buffer size setting set quite high (same as
>yours I think, I'd have to check) but I routinely lose characters when I use 1
>of the versions of the VT100 v2.9 (I think it is the A version).
>
>*However* I am running it at 9600 baud over a terminal server line. :-)

     Oh.  That _is_ a little different.  When I'm not reading news
with it, I use my A1000 as a terminal to our Unix box here at work.
I use Aterm (the p.d. version) on BBSes because I like its interface
better, but on the Unix box I use VT100 v2.9 because it does a better
VT100 emulation.  I run it at 9600 bps and do get the odd overrun.
Most of the time it's OK; Xmodem transfers work fine, and most
commands produce little enough output that I don't get into trouble.
However, if I run a program that uses cursor positioning and packs
the screen full of information, I might lose it about 80% of the way
through.  And, of course, things like an ls -l of a large directory
are bad news too, unless I use something like pg or control-S.

     If I get really desperate I can always stty 2400 (yuck!) - I
never have any problems keeping up then.  Or I suppose I could bring
my 2500/20 in to work - it's fast enough to keep up at 9600 bps -
but then I'd have nothing to play with at home.

     In short, don't worry about your serial port.  I've had my share
of sparks and worries too, but it just keeps chugging along.  It's
just that that poor little 68000 is running out of steam.

     Speaking of sparks, I've taken my 1000 to club meetings twice a
month for four years and haven't fried anything yet.  The trick, I
think, is to be sure you unplug your power cables last when taking
your machine apart.  That leaves a good solid ground attached to
everything while you unplug the delicate data and video connections.
When reconnecting everything at the other end, plug the power cables
in first to re-establish that ground and get everything at the same
potential.  I usually hear a spark when I plug the first cable into
the back of the monitor, and I feel much better when that spark is
through a nice solid ground pin rather than a video signal line.

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
"I'm cursed with hair from HELL!"  -- Night Court

U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) (12/20/90)

G'day,

In article <4158@mindlink.UUCP>, a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) writes:
> [...earlier context deleted...]

>      I've found on my 1000 that a terminal program running at 2400
> bps chews up a lot of the processor's time.  I found myself getting
> overruns from time to time until I increased the serial port's buffer
> size.  Go into Preferences and select "Change Serial."  Check the
> "Buffer Size" entry; it's likely at the original value of 512 bytes.
> I ran mine up as high as I could (16000) and I no longer have any
> problems.

I believe I do have my preferences buffer size setting set quite high (same as
yours I think, I'd have to check) but I routinely lose characters when I use 1
of the versions of the VT100 v2.9 (I think it is the A version).

*However* I am running it at 9600 baud over a terminal server line. :-)

Am I expecting too much of VT100 v2.9 (or my A1000)?

Or might I have some other problem (I've not noticed it with other emulators,
that I albeit use rarely enough to easily have missed this).

I was in fact worried that my serial port (or the associated chips) had been
damaged when a friend of mine attached the wrong serial cable to it... there
was a spark from my serial port that I haven't been able to forget about...

:-(

> Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP

yours truly,
Lou Cavallo.

ayrjola@chili.hut.fi (Ari Yrj|l{) (12/21/90)

In article <1439@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) writes:

   I believe I do have my preferences buffer size setting set quite high (same as
   yours I think, I'd have to check) but I routinely lose characters when I use 1
   of the versions of the VT100 v2.9 (I think it is the A version).

   *However* I am running it at 9600 baud over a terminal server line. :-)

   Am I expecting too much of VT100 v2.9 (or my A1000)?

I've noticed too that VT100 v2.9 can't keep up with 9600 bps and it also
eats more CPU cycles than DNet with 2 fterms at 19200 bps. So no reason
to use VT100 ;-)

If you still need vt100 emulation there's a program called Niftyterm
on Fish #403. It runs under DNet and seems to be quite good emulation
(at least better than VT100 or NCSA Telnet on Mac...).
There's also good termcap for amy (to use with DNet's fterm) made by
Hannu Napari, (napo@niksula.hut.fi).

--
This msg is sent by:  Ari  Yrj|l{         // Internet:   ayrjola@hut.fi
Address: JMT 3B 231b                     // BITNET  :   LK-AY AT FINHUT