[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A1300+A3000: will it work?

davids@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Dave Schreiber) (12/11/90)

[fodder fodder fodder]

Can the A1300 genlock be used with the Amiga 3000 (signal wise;  I know
that I'll have to raise the 3000 up or get an extension cable in order
to actually connect the two devices)?  Out of curiosity, can the 1300
be used with the 500 and/or 2000 (I've heard that connecting the 1300
to one of those devices can damage the genlock and/or the computer; is
this true)?

Finally (this is for my roommate, looking over my shoulder :-), can
anyone send me a list of A1300 hardware patches (i.e. what to tweak
if the 1300 doesn't work with a certain 1000)?

Many thanks in advance.

--
Dave Schreiber                                    davids@slugmail.ucsc.edu
                                or (but not both) davids@ucscb.ucsc.edu

dak@pro-graphics.cts.com (DAK Productions) (12/14/90)

I dunno about the 3000 but we've been using it on a 2000 for over two years
with no problems at all! A 3/4" tape is about the ideal size to raise the 2000
high enough to slip the genlock underneath.

davem@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Dave K. Martin) (12/16/90)

I've tried connecting my A1300 genlock to my 2000 using an extension cable,
but the 2000 will not boot with the A1300 connected.  When I put the A1300
back on my 1000, it works fine.

The Hardware Reference Manual shows that the 1000 and the 2000 video ports are
identical but that the 500 has -12 volts on pin 21 where the 1000 & 2000's
have -5 volts.

I don't know what the video port on the 3000 is like yet, (wanna donate one for
extended testing ;-) ).

Hope this helps.

(How do you create a .sig file?)

vincelee@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Vincent H. Lee) (12/20/90)

In article <6310@crash.cts.com> dak@pro-graphics.cts.com (DAK Productions) writes:

>I dunno about the 3000 but we've been using it on a 2000 for over two years
>with no problems at all! A 3/4" tape is about the ideal size to raise the 2000
>high enough to slip the genlock underneath.

NO NO NO NO NO!! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!

Before you do anything, please check one thing first!  I asked the same question
awhile back and got no responses.  I connected my 1300 to my 500 and poof!

Apparently, the -5V line on the RGBport of an a1000 is -12V on a 500.  I dunno
if it's also changed in a 2000.  It may be that the current-limiting resistors
will bring down all the voltages to a safe level, but I suspect that,
depending on the particular machine, the 1300 would
either eventually self-destruct or not get enough current to run well in the
first place.

In any case, a better solution would be to make an adapter and externally-power
the A1300.

-Vince

In article <1990Dec20.083258.17090@agate.berkeley.edu> vincelee@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Vincent H. Lee) writes:
>In article <6310@crash.cts.com> dak@pro-graphics.cts.com (DAK Productions) writes:

>>I dunno about the 3000 but we've been using it on a 2000 for over two years
>>with no problems at all! A 3/4" tape is about the ideal size to raise the 2000
>>high enough to slip the genlock underneath.
>
>NO NO NO NO NO!! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!

>Apparently, the -5V line on the RGBport of an a1000 is -12V on a 500.

Sure is.  On all other systems, its -5V, but on the 500, its -12V.  I suppose
because they don't have -5V on the motherboard.  The A1000 did, and any machine
with slots must because its part of the bus spec.  I still think it was a bad
idea for this on the A500, though of course anyone designing a Genlock after
the A500 difference was announced could compensate.  The A1300 was one of the
few that came before.

>-Vince

		"I can't drive 55"	-Sammy Hagar

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) (12/25/90)

In article <19620001@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM> davem@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Dave K. Martin) writes:
|I've tried connecting my A1300 genlock to my 2000 using an extension cable,
|but the 2000 will not boot with the A1300 connected.  When I put the A1300
|back on my 1000, it works fine.
|
|The Hardware Reference Manual shows that the 1000 and the 2000 video ports are
|identical but that the 500 has -12 volts on pin 21 where the 1000 & 2000's
|have -5 volts.

	The A1300 works just as badly on an A2000 as
	on an A1000 (8^), but not with an extension cable.

	It sure looks funny sticking out the side
	like that however...

Cheers,
--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario