[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Problems with 1950/A3000

jseymour@medar.COM (James Seymour) (12/28/90)

Since I received no response to my original posting, and it seems
to have disappeared, I assume that it fell into the black hole, so
I'm re-posting it.  I have new information since then anyway.

Help!  I'm having all kinds of problems with Commodore model 1950
color monitors and/or my A3000.  It all started with an intermittent
vertical "jitter" I was experiencing with the original unit.
Having read some mail here about early units being prone to similar
problems, and having a serial number like 845, I got my dealer to
swap mine for a new one.  The new 1950 has a serial number in the
8000 range (or something like that).

The "jitter" remains.

Worse, however, is that the new monitor has some new "defects".
The screen image (e.g.: WorkBench borders) "grows" (or starts out
"shrunken", however you look at it) by about a quarter-inch on the
top and bottom of the screen and about the same on the right side.
(I don't mean the raster scan area - that totally fills the CRT
face.)  It also starts out shifted to the left a bit.  The monitor
needs to be on for over 30 minutes before the image comes close to
reaching "terminal size" (it takes about 1.5 to 2 hours to totally
stop "growing" and shifting into position).  The screen data in the
upper-left corner is a bit "fuzzy" during the first few minutes or
so as well (almost looks like a convergence problem).  Also, the
left and right sides of the screen image appear slightly "bowed
in" (the left side is quite noticeable), even after "warm-up".

Is this normal for these "new" monitors?  It certainly is not
acceptable in my view. This looks suspiciously like a power supply
or horizontal output section problem.

The vertical jitter is about one or two pixels worth, affects the
entire screen image, occurs at seemingly random intervals, and
lasts for seemingly random lengths of time (several seconds or
more at a shot).  Are these monitors (both old and new) overly
susceptible to power-line or "airborne" noise?  I've never
experienced problems with the power in my house (normal
residential area) and the computer equipment is being fed via two
Corcom line filters complete with 3-way MOV's for spike
suppression.  I don't think ground loops could be it as I
disconnected _all_ peripherals from the A3000 and the jitter still
happens.

Since my original posting, I have hooked a power-line disturbance
monitor (monitors voltage and frequency and looks for sags, rises,
and spikes) and a 'scope to the power line.  No anomalies, no noise,
power looks nearly perfect.  I moved the monitor away from the
computer and all other sources of interference, no help.  I powered-
down the entire house and everything in the computer room, no help.
I tried adjusting the "flicker-fixer" while the jitter was happening,
no help.  I've tried leaving the monitor on for over 24 hours and
then powering-up the computer, and vice-versa, to try to determine
if warm-up of either had any effect.  No help.  Behaves the same no
matter what.  Also since my original posting, the display seems to
have "rotated" a bit in the counter-clockwise direction.

The color rendition does not seem as good on the new unit either.
I'm sorry I made the swap.

Replies in technical terms are welcome.  I hold an Advanced Class
Ham license, and a Commercial License as well, and have over ten
years of computer hardware and software experience.

--
Jim Seymour				| Medar, Inc.
...!uunet!medar!jseymour		| 38700 Grand River Ave.

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) (12/28/90)

In article <21@hdwr1.UUCP> jseymour@medar.COM (James Seymour) writes:
>I'm having all kinds of problems with Commodore model 1950
>color monitors and/or my A3000.  It all started with an intermittent
>vertical "jitter" I was experiencing with the original unit.

     Mine does that on green-on-black screens (i.e. SPlot) and the default
screen for Tiles.

>The screen image (e.g.: WorkBench borders) "grows" (or starts out
>"shrunken", however you look at it) by about a quarter-inch on the
>top and bottom of the screen and about the same on the right side.

     Hmmm...  Mine has been doing that too lately...  It doesn't grow that much
(yet).  My personal suspicion is that the apparent growth of the screen is due
to temperature related design flaws, that is, as the monitor (or possibly the
chips in the computer) heat up it causes the display to change.

>Also since my original posting, the display seems to
>have "rotated" a bit in the counter-clockwise direction.

     Mine has been like that since I got it.  It has occured to me that the
problems that I have noticed have been there all along and I have just now
noticed them, however, is it possible that my 1950 is dying a slow and horrible
death?  Will these problems get worse over time or what's the deal?

                             --George