[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 2320 and TriSync

kengo@rpi.edu (Ken Goldenberg) (12/28/90)

I went and bought a 2320.  It took some doing, but I scraped up enough $$s to
get the card and a monitor.  I work at a catalog showroom, so I bought one of
the monitors that we sell (discount and all), the Packard Bell TriSync (PB8510SV)
which is supposed to be a multiscan.  Okay, life is cool.  I got the 2320, and
it works fine in "active mode."  I have no real problem with the 1/2 scan line
of flicker, and I can live with the right side border thing.  I tried to shut
off the 2320 (switch in the back) and it goes nuts.  CATS said "Board's busted,
take 'er back" and despite the drive I took it back after work.  They plopped it
in and it worked fine.  Grr... Okay, so its either my computer or the monitor.  I was thinking that maybe the TriSync won't (forgive my lack of understanding of
how a multisync works) wont `scan low enough' and isn't quite dealing with the
15k(?) signal.  The only real reason I can think of to go back to normal Amiga
video is to use Overscan normally.  I got a really good deal on the monitor, but
there's a store "return it in 30 days for any reason" warranty, so I can get my
money back.  There was another Packard Bell (800x600) that we sell that's also
a multiscan.  Would this one be better?  Any ideas?  Thanks

                                     -Mitch

BTW, I _LIKE_ the 2320.

--
kengo@rpi.edu                 |"...it surrounds us and penetrates us
ken_goldenberg@rpitsmts.bitnet|and binds the galaxy together" -G.L

hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) (01/03/91)

In article <}|Q^+^+@rpi.edu> kengo@rpi.edu (Ken Goldenberg) writes:
>I went and bought a 2320.  It took some doing, but I scraped up enough $$s to
>get the card and a monitor.  I work at a catalog showroom, so I bought one of
>the monitors that we sell (discount and all), the Packard Bell TriSync (PB8510SV)
>which is supposed to be a multiscan.  Okay, life is cool.  I got the 2320, and
>it works fine in "active mode."  I have no real problem with the 1/2 scan line
>of flicker, and I can live with the right side border thing.  I tried to shut
>off the 2320 (switch in the back) and it goes nuts.  CATS said "Board's busted,
>take 'er back" and despite the drive I took it back after work.  They plopped it
>in and it worked fine.  Grr... Okay, so its either my computer or the monitor.  I was thinking that maybe the TriSync won't (forgive my lack of understanding of
>how a multisync works) wont `scan low enough' and isn't quite dealing with the
>15k(?) signal.  The only real reason I can think of to go back to normal Amiga
>video is to use Overscan normally.  I got a really good deal on the monitor, but
>there's a store "return it in 30 days for any reason" warranty, so I can get my
>money back.  There was another Packard Bell (800x600) that we sell that's also
>a multiscan.  Would this one be better?  Any ideas?  Thanks
>
>                                     -Mitch
>
>BTW, I _LIKE_ the 2320.
>

>--
>kengo@rpi.edu                 |"...it surrounds us and penetrates us
>ken_goldenberg@rpitsmts.bitnet|and binds the galaxy together" -G.L
>"What a day you had today/It took your smile away" --Heart

There is nothing wrong with the orginal or your current A2320, your
ideas is correct in that it sounds like the TriSync cannot handle the
15Khz scan rate of the normal Amiga.  To be sure, look in the monitor's
manual in the technical specification area and see if the horizontal
scan rate can handle 15.734Khz (NTSC) or if you have a PAL machine
15.625Khz.

I am glad you like the product :-)

Scott Hood

Scott Hood, Hardware Design Engineer (A3000 Crew),  Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!hood   hood@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
  "The views expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer!"