[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] VGA monitors

mccreary@boulder.Colorado.EDU (MCCREARY SEAN) (12/22/90)

Does anyone know how compatible normal VGA monitors (i.e. non-multisync) are
with the A3000 (or the A2320 for that matter).  I know some of the display
modes are not usable (e.g. all the 15kHz modes), but which are these?  If only
the non-interlaced productivity modes (1280 pixel horizontal) are unusable,
this doesn't seem to be much of a loss.  Also, what cabling problems could
arise?  The particular monitor I am interested in hooking up is a Zenith FTM
14" (This monitor has the best display I have ever seen, bar none).  Again,
if all that is necessary is a custom cable (i.e. just connecting the correct
signal lines) this is not a problem.  I noticed a lot of postings about
connecting multisync monitors to the A3000, but nothing about normal VGA.  The
brochure I have detailing the A3000 says this sort of connection should be
possible, but given the difficulties some people seem to be having, I wonder.

						Sean McCreary

hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) (01/05/91)

In article <1990Dec21.233057.10984@csn.org> mccreary@tramp.Colorado.EDU (MCCREARY SEAN) writes:
>Does anyone know how compatible normal VGA monitors (i.e. non-multisync) are
>with the A3000 (or the A2320 for that matter).  I know some of the display
>modes are not usable (e.g. all the 15kHz modes), but which are these?  If only
>the non-interlaced productivity modes (1280 pixel horizontal) are unusable,
>this doesn't seem to be much of a loss.  Also, what cabling problems could
>arise?  The particular monitor I am interested in hooking up is a Zenith FTM
>14" (This monitor has the best display I have ever seen, bar none).  Again,
>if all that is necessary is a custom cable (i.e. just connecting the correct
>signal lines) this is not a problem.  I noticed a lot of postings about
>connecting multisync monitors to the A3000, but nothing about normal VGA.  The
>brochure I have detailing the A3000 says this sort of connection should be
>possible, but given the difficulties some people seem to be having, I wonder.
>
>						Sean McCreary

I have hooked up and used the Zenith FTM monitor with the A2320 and the
A3000 directly (DB15 pin connector) and only had to adjust the sizing
and position controls to see a really nice display.  It is a nice
monitor, but as you said, is only capable of 31.5Khz display.  This
monitor is fine for NTSC Amiga machines with the A2320 or the A3000.

Regards,
Scott Hood

Scott Hood, Hardware Design Engineer (A3000 Crew),  Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!hood   hood@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
  "The views expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer!"