[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Amiga 1000

bing@mcnc.org (Carter E. Bing) (01/03/91)

    Greetings,

      Anyone have experience in tracking down a data transmit problem
 with the 1000. If so please drop me a line.

                                  Carter

Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com (William Thomas Daugustine) (01/03/91)

Ive the possibility of getting an Amiga 1000, with 1084 monitor, plus
some assorted software, for around $600 (price flexiable). Id like
to ask the general opinion of this price, is it fair?

I relize that I can get an Amiga 500 for the same price, but even tho
the 1000 predates the 500 (only a year, or so), the 1000 seems a
bit more advanced.

Also, is it possible to add a hard drive to this system? Etc info on
hard drive...

Billy D'Augustine
Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com

ztsindi@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Bill Gant) (01/03/91)

Posted for Clayton J. Miner...Text to Follow
 | Todd G Vaarwerk      | Bitnet:   ZTSINDI@UBVMS                |
 | State University of  | Internet: ZTSINDI@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU |
 |  New York at Buffalo |           VAARWERK@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU    |
 | Disclaimer: Believe what you want .. I trashed all my views of|
 |             reality ages ago  d8-)                            |

In article <37511@cup.portal.com>, Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com (William Thomas Daugustine) writes...

>Ive the possibility of getting an Amiga 1000, with 1084 monitor, plus
>some assorted software, for around $600 (price flexiable). Id like
>to ask the general opinion of this price, is it fair?
>
>I relize that I can get an Amiga 500 for the same price, but even tho
>the 1000 predates the 500 (only a year, or so), the 1000 seems a
>bit more advanced.
>
>Also, is it possible to add a hard drive to this system? Etc info on
>hard drive...

As a die hard 1000 user, I have to be honest and tell you that given the option
of getting the 1000 set up and the 500 setup, go with the 500.  Granted the
1000 is more asthetically pleasing, but it is not the more advanced system
The 1000 is NOT a more advanced system, it is hampered by being an "officially
orphaned machine" and therefore you would have to rely on third party hardware
support.  The biggest trap you would be walking into is that without soime
expensive internal expansion boards the 1000 will not be able to accept the new
chip sets, the value of which I am not qualified to comment on, as I cannot use
them. Also, once you start getting away from the more mundane external
expansions such as extrnal drives, the prices of the hardware skyrocket!  Take
a look at a copy of AmigaWorld and compare hard drive priced for example.
There are a host of add-ons that as far as I know will never be compatible
with the 1000, although a great number of those are designed for the 2000 so
you might not be able to use them in any case.

With the 1000 you may run into expansion problems that you didn't count on
because everything has to be added outside the machine...the RAM expansions,
the hard drives, and so on (well hard drives are external to the 500 also), but
this means that the 'footprint' of your machine is going to get bigger, and
bigger, and BIGGER!  With the 500 for example, a lot of the newer hard drives
have room inside the hard drive casing for expansion RAM.  I have to get an
external RAM box and then I have to make sure that it is compatible with my
hard drive controller card or I am back to square one...  Also, you did not
mention any RAM size in your original post, so I assume that it is a standard
512K machine.  To go to a meg or more you start out with a killer expense and
that is as far as most boards go, although I understand that there are RAM
boards that can take more memory than 1 or 1.5 megs.  I spotted an internal
card for the 500 the other day that could be populated to 4 megs!  If IBM
compatibility is a plus for you, then I don't know what to tell you as as far
as I know the only way to do it with a 1000 is to get a sidecar (good luck, I
haven't seen one in years), while for the 500 I also ran across a small board
that gives you MS/DOS compatability internally where the 512k expansion card
goes...  As much as I love and use my 1000, if you can get a good 500 package,
I would seriously recommend it.
 |                Clayton J. Miner - Reality Engineer                  |
 +-------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
 | SysOp - Known World BBS | Bitnet:   ZTSINDI@UBVMS                   |
 | (716)-883-3083 300-2400 | Internet: ZTSINDI@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU    |
 +-------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
 |   The views of this post are not those of the host organization.    |

amiga-relay@ee.udel.edu (01/04/91)

From: fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu

It's a sort of fair price, I guess, with the monitor and software. Try to
talk the seller down to $500.

You can add a hard drive; I have a Tiny Tiger from M.A.S.T. on my 1000.
Memory expansions (HIGHLY recommended) are also available.
Actually, the 500 is the more advanced machine; it has Kickstart in ROM
(upgradable), can have 1 meg of CHIP RAM, and there are LOTS more peripherals
available. I freely admit that the 1000 LOOKS cooler...
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (01/05/91)

In article <53352@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> ztsindi@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
                                 [...]
>In article <37511@cup.portal.com>, Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com (William Thomas Daugustine) writes...
>>
>>Ive the possibility of getting an Amiga 1000, with 1084 monitor, plus
>>some assorted software, for around $600 (price flexiable). Id like
>>to ask the general opinion of this price, is it fair?
                                 [...]
>As a die hard 1000 user,I have to be honest and tell you that given the option
>of getting the 1000 set up and the 500 setup, go with the 500.

I have to take issue here, and say that the answer to this question really
depends on what you want to get out of your system.  If you want all the
latest stuff then you probably will not be happy with the 1000.  But if all
you want is a nice Amiga that can run the typical software available today,
including video applications, then the 1000 is a good and an economical
choice.

>                                                                 Granted the
>1000 is more asthetically pleasing, but it is not the more advanced system.

This also depends on what you mean by "advanced".  My 1000 has an internal
power supply with lots of extra power for memory & harddisk controller
expansion, with the power switch on the chassis.  It has a seperate keyboard.
It has room inside for all kinds of nice hardware hacks (which I like).  Now
these are features that the 500 lacks.  For my purposes the 1000 is more
advanced.

>The 1000 is NOT a more advanced system, it is hampered by being an "officially
>orphaned machine" and therefore you would have to rely on third party hardware
>support.

Well, I've had my 1000 for 5 years now, and I haven't really needed any
hardware support from Commodore.  But there are Commodore parts available for
whatever you need to do (used).  You can pick them up a lot cheaper than the
new stuff for the 500/2000/3000, too.  This stuff goes up for sale right here
in comp.sys.amiga all the time.  I have a ton of hardware hanging off my
Amiga which I bought for less than $.50 on the dollar compared to new prices.
I purchased all of it except my memory expansion from individuals over the
net.  All of it works great and accomplishes the purpose I bought it for

>       The biggest trap you would be walking into is that without soime
>expensive internal expansion boards the 1000 will not be able to accept the
>new chip sets, the value of which I am not qualified to comment on, as I
>cannot use them.

Well, the new chip set will be nice to have.  However, there are nearly
2 million machines out there without the new chip set.  Somehow I feel
that new software will continue to support machines without the new
chip set for some time into the future.  As I said, if you just have to
have all the latest bells and whistles then you will probably be unhappy
with a 1000.

>                  Also, once you start getting away from the more mundane
>external expansions such as extrnal drives, the prices of the hardware
>skyrocket!  Take a look at a copy of AmigaWorld and compare hard drive
>priced for example.

I have a 155 Meg hard drive system with internal power and space for a
second 5-1/4" drive (tape drive or optical/floptical; I haven't decided yet).
For the SCSI controller, drive, chassis, and power supply I paid a total
of $900, to individuals in this news group.  If you wait and look around
there are deals like this available.  I have seen some deals that were
better than this.

>                 There are a host of add-ons that as far as I know will
>never be compatible with the 1000, although a great number of those are
>designed for the 2000 so you might not be able to use them in any case.

True.  First you have to evaluate what you want to do with the system.  You
will almost certainly never be able to get the Toaster(TM) to work with a 1000.
But then if you want the latest and greatest stuff, you need to get a newer
machine.

>With the 1000 you may run into expansion problems that you didn't count on
>because everything has to be added outside the machine...the RAM expansions,
>the hard drives, and so on(well hard drives are external to the 500 also), but
                                 [...]
Maybe I've been lucky, but I've had no problems whatsoever with my setup.
Never a glitch or hard failure of any kind since I bought it new, back when
the 1000 first came out.  I have a Microbotics 256K cartridge, a Supra 4X4
SCSI interface, an Alegra memory expansion, and a Master 3A external floppy
drive.  Plus various other peripherals like a Digiview Gold I picked up pretty
cheap, an audio digitizer (PP), a Xerox 4020 ink jet printer, a plotter, and
more.  I never got around to assembling the Lucas 68020 kit that I bought
way back when (2 years ago?)  ;^).  I picked up all of this stuff here.

My 1000, she has been very very good to me.

I would say to the first poster (who wanted to know if he should buy the
1000 for $600) to try to get the price down unless the software is worth
some money (ie stuff you were going to buy anyway).  Otherwise I think
you can get a better deal than this.

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.