[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] system locking up when accessing floppies

jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) (12/18/90)

I've been having a problem with my A500 for a while now, but it's just
gotten frequent enough to make me want to do something about it.  The
system will lock up sometimes when I'm accessing my floppy drives.  The
drives will remain spinning and all I can do is reboot the machine.

Specifically, it almost always happens when I'm starting an operation on
DF0: before a previous operation on DF1: has finished. Which is not to say
it happens every time I do that, though. It usually happens when the system
has been on for a long period of time like an entire morning or afternoon.
Lately it's started happening with as little as an hour of on-time.

Thinking it was an overheating problem, I bought some rubber 'feet' from
Radio Shack and stuck them on the bottom of the unit to raise it off the
desk further than it was.  With the original small feet, the middle of the
unit sagged down to touch the surface of the desk.  This didn't help,
though.

I've also re-seated the 8520 chips several times, and swapped them
(with each other, not with another set) once. Each time the problem goes
away for an increasingly short amount of time. As I said, it's just gotten
to the point where the system will lock up *every session*, so I want to do
something about it now.

If this is really an 8520 problem, which one (or both) do I need to
replace, and how much do they cost?  If it isn't an 8520 problem, what's
the next thing to check?

--
paper :  James Shaffer Jr., 37 Brook Street, Montgomery, PA  17752
uucp  :  uunet!cbmvax!amix!vanth!jms  (or)  rutgers!cbmvax!amix!vanth!jms

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (01/05/91)

In article <jms.2064@vanth.UUCP> jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) writes:
>I've been having a problem with my A500 for a while now, but it's just
>gotten frequent enough to make me want to do something about it.  The
>system will lock up sometimes when I'm accessing my floppy drives.  The
>drives will remain spinning and all I can do is reboot the machine.

This problem is common with Amigas with the 1.2 ROMs.  The usual case is
when a program is writing to one floppy at the same instant that AmigaDOS
decides to click the other floppy (to see if it's still empty).  I got killed
several times while trying to backup my harddisk last year.

The workaround: Keep a floppy disk in all drives at all times.  (No clicking.)
The fix: Go to an Amiga dealer and get new ROMs installed.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) (01/07/91)

In article <1398@tardis.Tymnet.COM> jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
>In article <jms.2064@vanth.UUCP> jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) writes:
>>I've been having a problem with my A500 for a while now, but it's just
>>gotten frequent enough to make me want to do something about it.  The
>>system will lock up sometimes when I'm accessing my floppy drives.  The
>>drives will remain spinning and all I can do is reboot the machine.
>
>This problem is common with Amigas with the 1.2 ROMs.	The usual case is
>when a program is writing to one floppy at the same instant that AmigaDOS
>decides to click the other floppy (to see if it's still empty).  I got killed
>several times while trying to backup my harddisk last year.
>
>The workaround: Keep a floppy disk in all drives at all times.  (No clicking.)
>The fix: Go to an Amiga dealer and get new ROMs installed.

But, I usually *do* have a floppy in all drives at all times.  The problem
has hit me several times when changing floppies -- it locks up as soon as
it tries to validate the just-inserted disk -- BUT it's also hit when I've
had disks in my drives for an entire session.  Say I have a program that,
when it exits, writes a file to DF1: and another to DF0:.  DF1: spins and
steps and the file is written, but just as DF0: starts spinning, and before
it steps, the system locks.  DF1: is *still* spinning and there's about a
50% chance that the file written to it will be either open or non-existant.
There is never a file on DF0: -- the lock-up seems to take place as soon
as the spindle motor comes on, from what I've seen so far.

You're right that I'm running the 1.2 ROM, but I'm using SetPatch from
1.3.2 and I'm also using the latest version of TrackSalve, which is
supposed to patch trackdisk.device to prevent the bug you mentioned.  So I
sort of doubt that that's the problem.  The increasing frequency of this
over both uptime and lifetime also points to hardware.

--
paper :  James Shaffer Jr., 37 Brook Street, Montgomery, PA  17752
uucp  :  uunet!cbmvax!amix!vanth!jms  (or)  rutgers!cbmvax!amix!vanth!jms
domain:  jms%vanth@amix.commodore.com	    CompuServe: 72750,2335
quote :  ATTENTION ALL PLANETS OF THE SOLAR FEDERATION: WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

In article <1398@tardis.Tymnet.COM> jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
>In article <jms.2064@vanth.UUCP> jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) writes:
>>I've been having a problem with my A500 for a while now, but it's just
>>gotten frequent enough to make me want to do something about it.  The
>>system will lock up sometimes when I'm accessing my floppy drives.  The
>>drives will remain spinning and all I can do is reboot the machine.
>
>This problem is common with Amigas with the 1.2 ROMs.  The usual case is
>when a program is writing to one floppy at the same instant that AmigaDOS
>decides to click the other floppy (to see if it's still empty).  I got killed
>several times while trying to backup my harddisk last year.
>
>The workaround: Keep a floppy disk in all drives at all times.  (No clicking.)
>The fix: Go to an Amiga dealer and get new ROMs installed.

	Sorry, no, new (aka 1.3) ROMs won't help (all they have is autoboot
support).  However, getting the most recent version of 1.3 (actually I think
every version later than 1.30) gets you the version of SetPatch that fixes
this.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)