[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] The Amiga Mouse

hbrinch@icoast.UUCP (Henrik Brinch) (12/16/90)

I am really ANGRY about the fact that I have bought an Amiga 3000 and used
if for LESS than a month...and expecting it to work PERFECTLY for several
months, but NO - Of course the mouse broke after 3 WEEKS!
Please Commodore, is it the meaning that people who buys a computer for more
than USD $6500 HAS(!) to get such a BAD mouse!  I understand that you try
to hit the professional market with the A3000, but with the BAD reputation
that the Amiga Mouse has...I seriously doubt it'll happen!
Please...try ie. to look at the Golden Image JinMouse to get some inspiration.
Is it the factories it is wrong with... I've also heard about a problem in
early A2000's about some CHEAP chips from malaysia...  where you just remove
them with better quality, and then the A2000 wont crash now and then (as much
as with the cheap chips!).  Why go on comprise with the quality, this is
certainly not a good move.  Don't get me wrong, I'm VERY happy about my A3000
and all other Commodore products, but some people may not be as tolerant as
me!

Best Regards,

--
InfoCoast          /\_  Henrik Brinch \ cbmehq!cbmdeo!icoast!hbrinch
Technologies /\   /   \ Kloevervej 7   \ FidoNet 2:230/112.3

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (12/19/90)

In article <hbrinch.0146@icoast.UUCP> hbrinch@icoast.UUCP (Henrik Brinch) writes:
                           [...]
>to hit the professional market with the A3000, but with the BAD reputation
>that the Amiga Mouse has...I seriously doubt it'll happen!
                           [...]
I think you are listening to rumors that have no basis in fact.  I've had
my Amiga for five years and I have never heard of any pervasive problem with
the Amiga mouse.  I've also never had a problem with my own mouse (although
I use a trackball most of the time now - personal preference, not a hardware
problem).

If your mouse is broken I would think it is probably an isolated problem,
not the giant reliability issue you seem to make out of it.

Of course, if my new machine was not working, I would be upset too.

Regards,
--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) (12/19/90)

In article <1990Dec18.185050.11886@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
>In article <hbrinch.0146@icoast.UUCP> hbrinch@icoast.UUCP (Henrik Brinch) writes:

>>to hit the professional market with the A3000, but with the BAD reputation
>>that the Amiga Mouse has...I seriously doubt it'll happen!

>I think you are listening to rumors that have no basis in fact.  I've had
>my Amiga for five years and I have never heard of any pervasive problem with
>the Amiga mouse.

Yeah, really!  I've had my Amiga for about a year and a half and have NEVER
cleaned my mouse.  I've never had _any_ problem with it whatsoever.  On the
other hand, every Apple mouse I've ever used has been really grungy.  They
all felt like somebody took out the little ball, dipped it in rubber cement,
and put it back in.

Also, the Amiga itself handles having a mouse better than any other machine
I've ever seen.  A serial mouse (on an IBM) is a joke, and the Mac mouse
pointer catches up with the mouse position in one big jump about 1/2 second
after you've moved it there.

Well, anyway, that's what I think...

   -Logan

--
=----------------Logan-Shaw---(lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu)----------------=
  "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not on thine own

harris@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Michael Harris) (12/19/90)

IMHO, I think that the Amiga mouse is probably one of the most comfortable
to use of all those on the market.  (Short of the Microsoft Mouse)

To me, it is far superior in performance and feel than those sold by IBM,
Logitech, Apple, DEC, and Data General.  Please realize that this is a
--
 __   _ ___ ___   Michael Harris - harris@catt.ncsu.edu      //        _
|    / \  | |    Computer and Technologies Theme Program    // /||\/||/ _ /|

The only problem with the Amiga mouse is that the mouse-ball is down in the
palm of your hand instead of near your fingertips. As a result, when doing
fine work you have to gingerly hold the mouse with the tips of your fingers
and you can't reach the buttons.

As far as the mechanicals go, anything that survives 4 years in an apartment
that also contains small children can't be all bad. Though my A3000's mouse is
starting to ignore button presses already. :-<
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (12/20/90)

In article <hbrinch.0146@icoast.UUCP> hbrinch@icoast.UUCP (Henrik Brinch) writes:
>Of course the mouse broke after 3 WEEKS!

	My Amiga mouse (almost 4 years old) has never broken.  You probably
just got a bad one.  This is why warrantees exist.

						Dan

jseymour@medar.COM (James Seymour) (12/21/90)

I suspect that the problems you're having with your Amiga mouse is an
isolated case.  Mine has functioned flawlessly, as have those of the
other Amiga owners I know.  I've also compared an Amiga mouse with some
of the "popular" mice on PeeCee's.  For "feel" and functionality, I'll
keep my Amiga mouse.
--
Jim Seymour				| Medar, Inc.
..!uunet!medar!jseymour		| 38700 Grand River Ave.

Well, I gotta eat my words on this. I now have *two* Amiga mice that are
losing the buttons. And I just opened my 1000 mouse, and lo and behold
it's got a piece of tape on the top of the little dome switch. It must
have started going, and I added a bit of tape to make the contact better.
My 3000's mouse now has about 6 bits of tape on top of the switch and it's
still a little flakey!

So, that's 3 mice out of 3 where that stupid little rubber dome switch has
gone early in the life cycle. It's beginning to look like a design flaw.

Sigh... I hope the warranty covers this.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

dac@prolix.ccadfa.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (12/22/90)

In article <7344@sugar.hackercorp.com>, Peter da Silva writes:

> So, that's 3 mice out of 3 where that stupid little rubber dome switch has
> gone early in the life cycle. It's beginning to look like a design flaw.

Why don't you splash out on an optical mouse?

I purchased a Boing!  Mouse ($A186 ~$US150) over a year ago, and
it has performed wonderfully.  Not having to clean it is a major
plus.  It's sometimes not _quite_ as accurate as a mechanical
mouse, but the reliability of the switches, and the nice feel to
it, makes this mouse a wonderful replacement for the C= version.

BTW, I had one of the original A1000 mice, which was great, nice
and solid, but used to need cleaning (even with Mousepad) at
least once a month. One day I thought I'd give it a really GOOD
cleaning, and noticed that the rollers came out. I pulled them
out, cleaned them with meths, and found that getting them back in
was slightly more difficult. So difficult in fact, that I BROKE
one of the lugs that held the roller down. Damnation! I used a
bit of matchstick and blu-tack to keep the roller in place (which
was fine really), and went looking for a replacement mouse.

I tried a Mighty Mouse, which was a $A79 mistake. It used COPPER
plated contact driven tech, instead of optical rollers. When the
SECOND one of those broke (first one replaced under warrenty), I
forked over the $A186 for the Boing!, and haven't looked back.

When I purchased my A2500/20 (on special), I got one of the new
Commodore mouses. It was lightwheight and horrid. I gave it away
with the Mighty Mouse to the purchaser of my A1000. (I kept the
semi-broken A1000 mouse so that I can play two player Shanghai!)

> Sigh... I hope the warranty covers this.

As for C= mouse supplies... They're pretty bad.

> Peter da Silva.   `-_-'

Dac
   _l _  _  Andrew Clayton.      I post .       ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au!Uprolix!dac
  (_](_l(_  Canberra. Australia.       . . I am.

Note: I cannot send or recieve MAIL to sites outside of Australia. Sorry.

ztsindi@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Bill Gant) (12/23/90)

Posted for Clayton J. Miner...Text to Follow
 | Todd G Vaarwerk      | Bitnet:   ZTSINDI@UBVMS                |
 | State University of  | Internet: ZTSINDI@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU |
 |  New York at Buffalo |           VAARWERK@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU    |
 | Disclaimer: Believe what you want .. I trashed all my views of|
 |             reality ages ago  d8-)                            |

In article <1867ca57.ARN00574@prolix.ccadfa.oz.au>, dac@prolix.ccadfa.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) writes...
>Why don't you splash out on an optical mouse?
>
>I purchased a Boing!  Mouse ($A186 ~$US150) over a year ago, and
>it has performed wonderfully.  Not having to clean it is a major
>plus.  It's sometimes not _quite_ as accurate as a mechanical
>mouse, but the reliability of the switches, and the nice feel to
>it, makes this mouse a wonderful replacement for the C= version.

Regarding the optical mouse, I had heard that it had to be moved in something
coming very close to right angles to be effective.  Is this rue?  Also, I keep
hearing that they chew up a LOT of batteries.  Any comments on this as well?
 |                Clayton J. Miner - Reality Engineer                  |
 +-------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
 | SysOp - Known World BBS | Bitnet:   ZTSINDI@UBVMS                   |
 | (716)-883-3083 300-2400 | Internet: ZTSINDI@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU    |
 +-------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
 |   The views of this post are not those of the host organization.    |

dac@prolix.ccadfa.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (12/23/90)

In article <52889@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, Bill Gant writes:

> >I purchased a Boing!  Mouse ($A186 ~$US150) over a year ago, and

> Regarding the optical mouse, I had heard that it had to be moved in something
> coming very close to right angles to be effective.  Is this rue?  Also, I keep
> hearing that they chew up a LOT of batteries.  Any comments on this as well?

Partially correct. The left/right up/down alignment of the grid
on the mousepad dictates how the mouse will react. I find that I
can use it at any old angle, and not have any appreciable
difficulty in pointing the pointer at gadgets and stuff.

They do NOT chew through batteries, since they are powered by the
Amiga itself, and dont HAVE batteries - you're possibly
referrinmg to the cordless mouses that are advertised.  Boing!
mouses have a cable.

>  |                Clayton J. Miner - Reality Engineer                  |

--
 _l _  _   // Andrew Clayton. Canberra, Australia.         I Post  .
(_](_l(_ \X/  ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au!prolix!dac                     . .  I am.

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (12/23/90)

In article <41604@ut-emx.uucp>, lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) writes:
> In article <1990Dec18.185050.11886@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
>>In article <hbrinch.0146@icoast.UUCP> hbrinch@icoast.UUCP (Henrik Brinch) writes:
>
>>>to hit the professional market with the A3000, but with the BAD reputation
>>>that the Amiga Mouse has...I seriously doubt it'll happen!
>
>>I think you are listening to rumors that have no basis in fact.  I've had
>>my Amiga for five years and I have never heard of any pervasive problem with
>>the Amiga mouse.
>
> Yeah, really!  I've had my Amiga for about a year and a half and have NEVER

I have had 3 mice in 3 years. There are 2 major problems with the Amiga mice.

1) One of the rollers (the passive, pressure roller) cannot be cleaned
effectively because it cannot be removed from its housing.

2) The "bubble switch" contacts are very poor, and often only marginally
functional. Almost every Amiga mouse requires that the buttons be pressed
in a certain way (which varies with each mouse), and it is possible to
depress the buttons without the press registering. On my current mouse,
this happens if the fingers ride to far back on the buttons.

> Also, the Amiga itself handles having a mouse better than any other machine
> I've ever seen.  A serial mouse (on an IBM) is a joke, and the Mac mouse
> pointer catches up with the mouse position in one big jump about 1/2 second
> after you've moved it there.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the mouse.

> Well, anyway, that's what I think...
>
>    -Logan
>
> --

Regards Alan

conan@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Robert Faulkner) (12/24/90)

>>In article <hbrinch.0146@icoast.UUCP> hbrinch@icoast.UUCP (Henrik Brinch) writes:
>
>>>to hit the professional market with the A3000, but with the BAD reputation
>>>that the Amiga Mouse has...I seriously doubt it'll happen!

Flame on ....................

Come on people, lets get realistic here, the DAMN mouse is not gonna be the
downfall to the A3000.  It is gonna be poor Third Party and Manufacturer
support along with a lack of quality software.  Besides if the Computer is
good enough, a buyer will spend a little more for a better pointing device.

So all you skeptics out there who are freaking out about the mouse, chill
and do something more productive,  WRITE SOME GOOD CODE and get it out
for use.

Flame off ...................

Thanks for the oppurtunity to air this opinionated response.

--

Robert Faulkner                              conan@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
            ///                  Recursion:     Thinking

brian@sky.COM (Brian Pelletier) (12/27/90)

In article <17932@wehi.dn.mu.oz> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:

>I have had 3 mice in 3 years. There are 2 major problems with the Amiga mice.
>
>1) One of the rollers (the passive, pressure roller) cannot be cleaned
>effectively because it cannot be removed from its housing.
>
>2) The "bubble switch" contacts are very poor, and often only marginally
>functional. Almost every Amiga mouse requires that the buttons be pressed
>in a certain way (which varies with each mouse), and it is possible to
>depress the buttons without the press registering. On my current mouse,
>this happens if the fingers ride to far back on the buttons.
>
>This has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the mouse.
>
>Regards Alan

I know this is another of those 'religious' issues we computer types love to
get all steamed about, but I'm going to reply to this anyhow.  I've had two
Amigas now (1000,2000) and the Amiga mouse is still my all-time favorite.
I had a real prejudice against mechanical mice before I got my 1000, and now
I feel just the opposite - I hate having to use the 2 optical mice here at
work on my Sparcstation and my AT.  I've never had any problems with having
to press the buttons 'in a certain way' unless that certain way is DOWN. :-)

The mechanical mice do need occasional cleaning, but I've never had much
trouble doing it.  Also, the mice have been extremely durable.  My 1000 mouse
especially took quite a beating (anyone remember swordfighting in Defender of
the Crown??).  Maybe I've just been lucky...

Brian Pelletier, Hardware guy | Disclaimer: These are MY opinions, not SKY's.
Sky Computer  Chelmsford, MA  | Amiga!  UUCP: pelletier@grove.uucp (home)
UUCP: brian@sky.com (work)    | Plink: TACK

The amiga mouse is a nice mouse, it feels great, and the roller mechanicals
are very rugged. *BUT* those damn bubble switches have got to go.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

tym@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Tim MacKenzie) (01/02/91)

In <17932@wehi.dn.mu.oz> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>>>In article <hbrinch.0146@icoast.UUCP> hbrinch@icoast.UUCP (Henrik Brinch) writes:
>>

>I have had 3 mice in 3 years. There are 2 major problems with the Amiga mice.

>2) The "bubble switch" contacts are very poor, and often only marginally
>functional. Almost every Amiga mouse requires that the buttons be pressed
>in a certain way (which varies with each mouse), and it is possible to
>depress the buttons without the press registering. On my current mouse,
>this happens if the fingers ride to far back on the buttons.

The "bubble switch" contacts are rubbish and always have been. Why C= did
not put proper micro-switch buttons in puzzles me. [ Maybe the poor quality
of the rollers meant that the buttons would outlast them ;) ]. I installed
micro-switch buttons in my mouse ~8 months ago, cost about $15 Oz, and can
recommend them to all. They simply replace the existing switches and require
a little filing down of the push-rods.

Greetz.
Tim MacKenzie
tym@bruce.cs.monash.edu.au

liberato@dri.com (Jimmy Liberato) (01/02/91)

In article <41604@ut-emx.uucp> lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) writes:
>In article <1990Dec18.185050.11886@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
>>In article <hbrinch.0146@icoast.UUCP> hbrinch@icoast.UUCP (Henrik Brinch) writes:
>
>>>to hit the professional market with the A3000, but with the BAD reputation
>>>that the Amiga Mouse has...I seriously doubt it'll happen!
>
>>I think you are listening to rumors that have no basis in fact.  I've had
>>my Amiga for five years and I have never heard of any pervasive problem with
>>the Amiga mouse.
>
>Yeah, really!  I've had my Amiga for about a year and a half and have NEVER
>cleaned my mouse.  I've never had _any_ problem with it whatsoever.

Well, try playing Populous a lot if you want to induce failure in the stock
Amiga mouse.  Good mice have quality microswitches.  Notice the proliferation
of third-party mice in the Amiga marketplace?  Why would there be any need if
there weren't reliability problems or even just a desire for a better feel.
The provided mouse and keyboard are disposable toys, play with them awhile and
then throw them away!  :-)

--
Jimmy Liberato   liberato@dri.com
                 ...uunet!drivax!liberato

anlhille@amber.ucs.indiana.edu (Joseph BHillenburg) (01/02/91)

In article <VT6VBHY@dri.com>, liberato@dri.com (Jimmy Liberato) writes...
|In article <41604@ut-emx.uucp> lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) writes:
|>In article <1990Dec18.185050.11886@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
|>>In article <hbrinch.0146@icoast.UUCP> hbrinch@icoast.UUCP (Henrik Brinch) writes:
|The provided mouse and keyboard are disposable toys, play with them awhile and
|then throw them away!  :-)

Sounds about like my uncle's '286. :)

|--
|Jimmy Liberato   liberato@dri.com
|                 ...uunet!drivax!liberato
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
|   //     Joseph Hillenburg, Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group        |
| \X/  anlhille@ucs.indiana.edu                     anlhille@iurose.BITNET    |
|                          jph@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us                          |
|      "Have fun folks. It's the last time you'll be seeing this place"       |
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

elson@otc.otca.oz (Elson Markwick) (01/03/91)

In article <7384@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>The amiga mouse is a nice mouse, it feels great, and the roller mechanicals
>are very rugged. *BUT* those damn bubble switches have got to go.

Oh, I dunno - I think they'd be alright if they were just anchored a bit more
firmly.  All the problems I've ever had with them is a result of them coming
adrift. I once had (and still do have) a joystick with those bubble switches
for *everything*, but it needed to be opened periodically to reposition the
bubbles - they were only held down with *tape* - can you beleive that in a
A$30.00 joystick???

Just my 2c worth.

--
Elson Markwick | The only good cat |ACSnet:  elson@otc.otca.oz.au
OTC R & D Unit |is a stir-fried cat|UUCP: {uunet,mcvax}!otc.otca.oz.au!elson

In article <3520@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU> tym@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Tim MacKenzie) writes:

>The "bubble switch" contacts are rubbish and always have been. Why C= did
>not put proper micro-switch buttons in puzzles me. [ Maybe the poor quality
>of the rollers meant that the buttons would outlast them ;) ]. I installed
>micro-switch buttons in my mouse ~8 months ago, cost about $15 Oz, and can
>recommend them to all. They simply replace the existing switches and require
>a little filing down of the push-rods.

If you think about, those bubble switches *are* a form of microswitch.  If the
bubbles aren't too fatigued, they act as an overcenter device much like the more
traditional microswitch.  I've had my 500 now (and it's mouse) for about 2
years now, and it was already 18 months old when I bought it.  The left mouse
button is just starting to go now, and I'm fairly sure that it will be
reasonably easy to fix without replacing it.

BTW, wouldn't you have to cut holes in the mouse pcb or at least change the
buttons to get a microswitch to fit in there?  The smallest microswitch I've
ever seen is about 13mm long x 10mm high x 1.5mm wide - and I had a bitch of a
job finding something that small.
--

itch@cbnews.att.com (richard.m.brack) (01/03/91)

In article <3520@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU> tym@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Tim MacKenzie) writes:

>The "bubble switch" contacts are rubbish and always have been. Why C= did
>not put proper micro-switch buttons in puzzles me. [ Maybe the poor quality
>of the rollers meant that the buttons would outlast them ;) ]. I installed
>micro-switch buttons in my mouse ~8 months ago, cost about $15 Oz, and can
>recommend them to all. They simply replace the existing switches and require
>a little filing down of the push-rods.

Well, I have had my Amiga (and mouse) for about 8 or 9 months and have
had no problems with my buttons.  What I have had trouble with is moving
down or left (or both).  When I try to do slow movements in these directions,
something slips.  I guess either the ball isn't rolling or the rollers
inside aren't moving.  This makes it almost impossible to do detailed
work in a paint program.  I have cleaned it several times and have always
had a mouse pad.  So now I'm thinking about getting either a Boing! optical
or a track ball.  Anyone out there using a track ball???

RichBrack
--
{ the itchman cometh   /-/         _          i don't want to be your angel }
{ itch@cbnews.att.com /-/        _|_|_          i want to be your witch!    }

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (01/05/91)

	To those who say they have had a perfect mouse for x years...
	consider yourself lucky....  The tech department at our local
	Amiga Dealer has a shelf FULL of dead mice...  The Amiga mouse
	has always had some problems, and unfortunately, the bubble switches
	have been a pain since the early A1000 days....  This is a problem
	that should have been corrected long ago.  I really like the
	design of the mouse and it's feel, but when it starts to flake
	out.....    Ever have a mouse button 'jump' two or more times when
	closing a requester, only to find that the program's Close Box
	was located right under it.... causing the program to quit?
	That's no fun at all....

	-Mike P-

clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) (01/05/91)

In a message posted on 1 Jan 91 22:47:30 GMT,
tym@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Tim MacKenzie) wrote:

TM>>I have had 3 mice in 3 years. There are 2 major problems with the Amiga mice.
TM>
TM>>2) The "bubble switch" contacts are very poor, and often only marginally
TM>>functional. Almost every Amiga mouse requires that the buttons be pressed
TM>>in a certain way (which varies with each mouse), and it is possible to
TM>>depress the buttons without the press registering. On my current mouse,
TM>>this happens if the fingers ride to far back on the buttons.
TM>
TM>The "bubble switch" contacts are rubbish and always have been. Why C= did
TM>not put proper micro-switch buttons in puzzles me. [ Maybe the poor quality
TM>of the rollers meant that the buttons would outlast them ;) ]. I installed
TM>micro-switch buttons in my mouse ~8 months ago, cost about $15 Oz, and can
TM>recommend them to all. They simply replace the existing switches and require
TM>a little filing down of the push-rods.
TM>
TM>Greetz.
TM>Tim MacKenzie
TM>tym@bruce.cs.monash.edu.au

	I bought my B2000 in '87 (REV4.2) and my mouse has real switches
in it.  They're little button switches that are depressed by the same
"arm" system used to depress the bubbles however.  Believe me, they're not
as good as you think.  While I haven't had
any lasting problems with them, occasionally (frequently sometimes), they
refuse to work unless I hammer and then wiggle the button.  Sometimes they
double or triple click all by themselves.  Usually this problem goes away
after a few days and some contact cleaner however.  While better than
bubble these microswitches are really not to great either.  We do have to
realize though that switch life is rated in operations and mice are
something used ALOT on the Amiga.  What I would like to see is real
switches used, like Microsoft mice for the IBM machines.  They have a
definite feel when contact is made and a nice soft travel that's easy to
work with.

--
 Craig Lemon - Kitchener, Ontario. Amiga B2000/10--2400 bps--AmigaUUCP 1.03D
 clemon@lemsys.UUCP or lemsys!clemon@xenitec.on.ca  |

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz (Allan Duncan) (01/07/91)

From article <7384@sugar.hackercorp.com>, by peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva):
> The amiga mouse is a nice mouse, it feels great, and the roller mechanicals
> are very rugged. *BUT* those damn bubble switches have got to go.
> --

I'm still running my 1000 mouse from way back when.  Over the years I
have had to -

Re-terminate _both_ ends of the cable (the flexing breaks it a few
inches from the strain relief).  The mouse end was easy, you just pull
the cable through the strain relief, but the other end was a cow, with
the moulded 90 deg. shape and soldered-in connector shielding.

Replace the switches a couple of times.  Although they are better than
the dimples, they still fail.

Completely remove the black plastic assembly to get at the idler wheel
shaft to properly clean it (experience with a solder sucker essential).

The 2000 here at work has dimples, and gave me trouble once, so I peeled
back the sticky and cleaned them with alcohol.  I then got a conversion
kit, but the threat of it has kept the dimples honest, and it is still
sitting in the drawer  for a couple of years.
Both mice have nickel plated brass rollers - I've seen samples of the
steel ones in shops, and they are corroded easily.  Lastest ones seem to
be a plastic material - but I haven't seen a well-used one yet.
Allan Duncan	ACSnet	a.duncan@trl.oz
(03) 541 6708	ARPA	a.duncan%trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz!a.duncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.

cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) (01/08/91)

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) writes:
<
<
< 	To those who say they have had a perfect mouse for x years...
< 	consider yourself lucky....  The tech department at our local
< 	Amiga Dealer has a shelf FULL of dead mice...  The Amiga mouse
< 	has always had some problems, and unfortunately, the bubble switches
< 	have been a pain since the early A1000 days....  This is a problem
< 	that should have been corrected long ago.  I really like the
< 	design of the mouse and it's feel, but when it starts to flake
< 	out.....    Ever have a mouse button 'jump' two or more times when
< 	closing a requester, only to find that the program's Close Box
< 	was located right under it.... causing the program to quit?
< 	That's no fun at all....

My 2500 is nearly 2 years old (next month), and I never have had
any trouble with the mouse...until last week.  Then the left bubble
switch gave up the ghost.  After reading the many horror stories
of third party mice (and their praise as well), I decided it wasn't
worth spending $100 (or even $60 or $40) to fix what is in essence
a $2 part.

I therefore dissassembled the thing, removed the old switches, and
replaced them with microswitches similar to those used in the current
generation of Microsoft mice.

Of course, this meant a slight modification to the mouse board and to
the stems on the actual buttons, which would obviously void a warranty
(if you still have one), but it was WELL WORTH THE EFFORT.  If feel as
if I have a completely new mouse, and the responsiveness is excellent.

Naturally, this exercise is not for those unfamiliar with a soldering
iron, but anyone who is considering a replacement mouse should at
least CONSIDER this first.  I've always liked the 'feel' of the
Amiga mouse (having used Logitech and Microsoft mice extensively),
and hated the thought of giving it up.  Now I feel I have the best
solution (assuming, of course that the reason you are replacing your
mouse is because of malfunctioning buttons :-) ).

Regards,
Chris

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |    ___-/^\-___
cseaman@gateway.sequent.com <or>  |  //__--\O/--__\\    nI' yIyIn 'ej yIchep.