[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Epson Printer problem

spworley@athena.mit.edu (Spaceman Spiff) (01/08/91)

I have a really old wide-carrage Epson FX-286 dot matrix printer
hooked up to the parallel port on my 3000. I have no problems
printing text or graphics, and I complement Commodore on how
easy it was to configure! I use the Epson-XOld printer driver in
the 2.0 preferences.

My problem: When printing large ( 3 or more pages) files, I keep
getting a "Printer trouble: check printer and cabling" requestor.
Meanwhile, the printer is merrily chugging away, no glitch, no pause,
nothing. If I click on the "resume" button, the requestor goes away.
The REALLY annoying part is that the requester returns about once a
minute! I have to click each time.

I don't know the cause, but my guess is that the printer in hi-quality
mode is SO SLOW (1 page every minute and a half) that AmigaDos thinks
that there must be a hangup in passing the data along, so puts up the
requestor.

My question: any fixes?? I cannot print long program listings without
being at the computer, so its pretty important and not just an annoyance.
What can I do do fix this?

I'd appreciate any help from anyone on the net. Email if you have any
ideas. Thanks for the help!

-Steve

Steve Worley                                           spworley@athena.mit.edu

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan8.103115.17498@athena.mit.edu>, Spaceman Spiff writes:

> I have a really old wide-carrage Epson FX-286 dot matrix printer
> hooked up to the parallel port on my 3000. I have no problems
> printing text or graphics, and I complement Commodore on how
> easy it was to configure! I use the Epson-XOld printer driver in
> the 2.0 preferences.
>
> My problem: When printing large ( 3 or more pages) files, I keep
> getting a "Printer trouble: check printer and cabling" requestor.
> Meanwhile, the printer is merrily chugging away, no glitch, no pause,
> nothing. If I click on the "resume" button, the requestor goes away.
> The REALLY annoying part is that the requester returns about once a
> minute! I have to click each time.
>
> I don't know the cause, but my guess is that the printer in hi-quality
> mode is SO SLOW (1 page every minute and a half) that AmigaDos thinks
> that there must be a hangup in passing the data along, so puts up the
> requestor.
>
> My question: any fixes?? I cannot print long program listings without
> being at the computer, so its pretty important and not just an annoyance.
> What can I do do fix this?
>
> I'd appreciate any help from anyone on the net. Email if you have any
> ideas. Thanks for the help!

What is happening is that the driver is "timing out" in trying to
"contact" your printer. It happens sometimes with SLOW printers.
It also happens if your printer is "offline".

There is an easy way to correct this:

Using a "Hex Editor" (I use newzap), edit the EpsonXOld printer driver
(after, of course, saving a backup copy of it).

At Offset 0x95, you will find the hex value 1E. This is the drivers timeout
value (30 seconds). It is actually a word, starting hex 1B, with a
value of 0x0000001E.

You can modify this value to anything you like. But, be reasonable. If
your printer REALLY does get messed up some time, you will have to
wait "timeout" seconds before getting a chance to cancel the printout.

After modifying and saving the file, you will need to re-boot (or load
a different driver, try to print with it, then re-load your EpsonXOld
driver) in order to get a new copy of the driver into memory.

Let me know if you have any problems.

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft or {uhnix1,lobster}!starsoft!david
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovic

In article <1991Jan8.103115.17498@athena.mit.edu> spworley@athena.mit.edu (Spaceman Spiff) writes:

>My problem: When printing large ( 3 or more pages) files, I keep
>getting a "Printer trouble: check printer and cabling" requestor.
>Meanwhile, the printer is merrily chugging away, no glitch, no pause,
>nothing. If I click on the "resume" button, the requestor goes away.
>The REALLY annoying part is that the requester returns about once a
>minute! I have to click each time.
>
>I don't know the cause, but my guess is that the printer in hi-quality
>mode is SO SLOW (1 page every minute and a half) that AmigaDos thinks
>that there must be a hangup in passing the data along, so puts up the
>requestor.

You could try to modify the printer driver to provide a higher
timeout value. Copy the file to a new name (to not spoil the
original) and use Newzap to patch the value at offset 0095.
In my version of the driver, there is currently a $1E which
stands for 30 seconds. You might increase this to the double
or more. Perhaps it helps.

In article <187dab1f.ARN2577@starsoft.UUCP> david@starsoft.UUCP writes:

>At Offset 0x95, you will find the hex value 1E. This is the drivers timeout
>value (30 seconds). It is actually a word, starting hex 1B, with a
>value of 0x0000001E.

A little bit of nit picking: It really is a word, not a longword,
so it is TWO bytes, starting at offset $94, reading $001E.