[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] upgrading A2000 w/ fatter agnus

etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) (01/09/91)

In article <24830002@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM> davem@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Dave K. Martin) writes:
>I believe that the A-500 does not have the jumpers on the motherboard that
>the A-2000's have.  There are some jumpers to be moved and traces to be
>cut to allow the new Agnus to access the additional memory.  If this is
>not done, then the chip will stilll only access 512k.
>
>When I upgraded my A-2000, rev 4.2, my dealer gave me an instructiion sheet
>showing what to cut and jumpers to move.  The following is quoted from that
>sheet.  Any typos, etc are mine :-).
>
>   The new "fatter" Agnus 8372 IC, which can address 1 megabyte of chip ram
>   will require the:w following modifwing modifications to the A2000 pcg
>   operation.  Without these modifications the IC will adress only 512k of
>   chip ram and operate only in NTSC mode.
>
>   1.  Locate jumper pad J500 (to the lower left of the 8520 at U301).
>       This is a 2 pad jumper with a trace connecting the two pads.  With a
>       Exacto knife cut the trace which connects the pads.  Be careful not
>       to allow the blade to slip and cut another trace.  Note: see page 9
>       of A2000 system schematics, cutting this trace keeps the _EXRAM from
>       being tied to ground.
>
>   2.  Locate jumper J101 (to the lower right of power connector CN400).
>       Move shorting block to the left, shorting pins 2 and 3.  Note: see
>       page 13 of A2000 system schematics, this wil enable address line 19
>       from the 68000, which controls the 1 meg adress range.

... and if you want the machine to boot up in PAL, there is one more trace
to cut.

What I want to know is: If I want to be able to run some old programs that
doesn't seem to like my Amiga since I installed the 1Meg Agnus, should I
put a switch at jumper pad J500, or do I need to have a three-way switch
at J101 as well/instead?

I have tried a small program called KillChip, but I still had 1 MB chip
memory after I ran that. Maybe I did something wrong, or don't have the
correct version?

Tommy Petersson
etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se