[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A2091,A3000 SCSI Controllers w/ DAT's

terry@csd.uwo.ca (Terry Cudney) (01/03/91)

lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
> I am having great fun with a DAT drive. I have it backing up at
>anout 7.7 megabytes/minute, and I can use it as a storage medium for individual
>files, with an average access time of 20 seconds to any file on the tape, if I
>know where it is.  Not bad for a tape that will store 1.3 GBytes.
>
>-larry

Larry, (or anyone else using DAT's)

    Would you care to give more details on this (or other) DAT drive?
(eg. Brand, model, cost, availability, compatibility with A3000/A2091, etc)?
Thanks.

--terry
/* terry@chaplin.csd.uwo.ca
 * Terry Cudney Amistosa MicroWare 9 Durham Street, LONDON, Ontario, N5Y 2H9
 */
--

In <1983@ria.ccs.uwo.ca>, terry@csd.uwo.ca (Terry Cudney) writes:
>lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>> I am having great fun with a DAT drive. I have it backing up at
>>anout 7.7 megabytes/minute, and I can use it as a storage medium for individual
>>files, with an average access time of 20 seconds to any file on the tape, if I
>>know where it is.  Not bad for a tape that will store 1.3 GBytes.
>>
>>-larry
>
>Larry, (or anyone else using DAT's)
>
>    Would you care to give more details on this (or other) DAT drive?
>(eg. Brand, model, cost, availability, compatibility with A3000/A2091, etc)?

The drive is an Archive Python, cost unknown, availability unknown, and works
just fine with my own backup/restore programs on an A3000. No reason why it
should not work on a 2091, 2090, or Microbotics HardFrame, and probably on
other setups as well.

-larry

--
The best way to accelerate an MsDos machine is at 32 ft/sec/sec.

hclausen@adspdk.UUCP (Henrik Clausen) (01/05/91)

In article <2471@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca>, Larry Phillips writes:

> In <1983@ria.ccs.uwo.ca>, terry@csd.uwo.ca (Terry Cudney) writes:
> >    Would you care to give more details on this (or other) DAT drive?
> >(eg. Brand, model, cost, availability, compatibility with A3000/A2091, etc)?
>
> The drive is an Archive Python, cost unknown, availability unknown, and works
> just fine with my own backup/restore programs on an A3000. No reason why it
> should not work on a 2091, 2090, or Microbotics HardFrame, and probably on
                             ^^^^

   Careful, I suppose it depends on SCSI-direct? Old A2090(A) doesn't support
this, and others might not either.

                                              -Henrik
| Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data | If the Doors of Perception where cleansed, |
| ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!  | Man would see Reality as it is - Infinite. |
\______cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen___|_________________________________W. Blake___/

wschmidt%decefix@decefix.iao.fhg.de (Wolfram Schmidt) (01/07/91)

In article <187975d4.ARN1431@adspdk.UUCP> hclausen@adspdk.UUCP writes:
[...]
>   Careful, I suppose it depends on SCSI-direct? Old A2090(A) doesn't support
>this, and others might not either.
[...]

Mine does, however! I think I've gotr hddisk.device V34.4 (?).

Wolfram

PS: Yes, I know, Pnews (or what ever) needs to getr fixed.

In article <417@rusux1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wschmidt@IAO.FhG.de writes:
>In article <187975d4.ARN1431@adspdk.UUCP> hclausen@adspdk.UUCP writes:
>>   Careful, I suppose it depends on SCSI-direct? Old A2090(A) doesn't support
>>this, and others might not either.
>
>Mine does, however! I think I've gotr hddisk.device V34.4 (?).

	hddisk had a precursor of scsidirect in it, but it doesn't support
important things like SCSIF_AUTOSENSE to get errors from the device.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)