[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] GVP Impact Series II problems...

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (01/06/91)

In article <6721@crash.cts.com> johns@pro-graphics.cts.com
(John Silvia) writes:

> GVPSCSI.DEVICE UNIT 000
> Unexpected Error: $1E/$46

$1E means that a WD-transfer command has been completed
successfully and that the next SCSI phase is a message-out
phase. Interestingly enough, the driver usually doesn't use
the transfer command!

> [...] and the guy told me that more than likely, the
> memory on my 030 board is detected by the GVP board, and
> the GVP board is trying to load it's firmware into 32bit
> ram to run faster,

Right.

> and the guy claims that the problem isn't in their board,
> but instead, in my Commodore 2630 board (030 accelerator)
> since it's not making the ram available soon enough for
> the GVP hardware to use it.

IMHO, that sounds a bit weird!

> Does anyone out there know about this problem, and maybe
> have a cure? The guy suggested moving the board as far
> from the accelerator as possible, so that the timing
> cycles might possibly be extended a cycle or two to fix
> the problem.

Nah, probably won't make a difference.

Make sure the termination resistors are set up properly. Try
changing the order the drives are connected to the SCSI bus,
maybe reverse their SCSI-IDs. If this still doesn't work,
disable disconnect for both drives.

Ralph

cbmvax.commodore.com!cbmehq!babylon!rbabel

johns@pro-graphics.cts.com (John Silvia) (01/06/91)

Now get this:

A2000 with 1 meg chip, Commodore 68030 board (@25mhz) with 2 megs 32 bit ram.

I recently bought the GVP Series II Impact Hard Disk controller, and when I
sold my 2 meg 8up! board that had 2 megs on it, I started getting the
following error during the hardware powerup and diagnostics:

GVPSCSI.DEVICE UNIT 000
Unexpected Error: $1E/$46

The board is connected to a Quantum Prodrive 50meg drive (the newest of their
50 meg drives too) and also to a Miniscribe 8425 that was borrowed froma
defective Mac SE (waste of good hardware too!).  Anyway, the setup worked fine
before when I had 5 megs of ram (2x32bit,2x16bit,1 chip).

I called GVP, and when I finally called and didn't get their phonemail system
and got a human, I explained the problem, and the guy told me that more than
likely, the memory on my 030 board is detected by the GVP board, and the GVP
board is trying to load it's firmware into 32bit ram to run faster, and the
guy claims that the problem isn't in their board, but instead, in my Commodore
2630 board (030 accelerator) since it's not making the ram available soon
enough for the GVP hardware to use it.

Does anyone out there know about this problem, and maybe have a cure?  The guy
suggested moving the board as far from the accelerator as possible, so that
the timing cycles might possibly be extended a cycle or two to fix the
problem.

I really don't like the idea of having to buy 2 megs of simms to make my
system bootup properly.

-- John Silvia

 Pro-Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"

Internet: johns@pro-graphics.cts.com
    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!johns
    ARPA: crash!pro-graphics!johns@nosc.mil

In article <6721@crash.cts.com> johns@pro-graphics.cts.com (John Silvia) writes:

>I called GVP, and when I finally called and didn't get their phonemail system
>and got a human, I explained the problem, and the guy told me that more than
>likely, the memory on my 030 board is detected by the GVP board, and the GVP
>board is trying to load it's firmware into 32bit ram to run faster, and the
>guy claims that the problem isn't in their board, but instead, in my Commodore
>2630 board (030 accelerator) since it's not making the ram available soon
>enough for the GVP hardware to use it.

That guy's is wigged-out!

The A2630 memory is normally autoconfigured.  Which means, the memory is
available at least by the time it's autoconfigured.  Since the A2630 is
guaranteed to be the first autoconfigured device in the system, you are
absolutely guaranteed to have that memory available by the time the GVP card,
or any other normal device sitting on the expansion bus, get it's chance at
being configured.

In fact, unless the GVP code is doing something really strange, you shouldn't
be able to notice the absence of that 16 bit memory until well after boot time.
The A2630 memory is not only configured first, it's also the first memory in
the Fast memory list.  Which means, the 16 bit memory wouldn't be touched until
all the 32 bit memory is used up.  So your GVP card has more than likely been
using your 32 bit memory all along.

>Does anyone out there know about this problem, and maybe have a cure?  The guy
>suggested moving the board as far from the accelerator as possible, so that
>the timing cycles might possibly be extended a cycle or two to fix the
>problem.

I don't know the new GVP card from a hill of beans.  But it sounds to me like
the guy you're talking to is alluding to some known noise problem with this
card, even though he didn't say as much.  You can't extend the length of a
memory cycle even a little bit by moving a card around on the bus.  But you can
add a little bit of capacitance to that card, which tends to make noisy signals
a little less noisy.  Having the second card on the bus (that 16 bit memory
card) will also increase the capacitance a tad.  None of these have any
direct effect on the A2630 card, which is sitting on the other side of the
A2000's bus buffers, on the local bus next to the 68000.  But a slightly flakey
Zorro II card can change its characteristics based on slot position and the
existance of any other boards on the bus.  Like I said, I don't know anything
about the GVP card; you may have just as well run into a software problem of
some kind.  But from what this guy said to you, it sounds like they have some
kind of a problem they're not telling you about.

>-- John Silvia

	"Don't worry, 'bout a thing. 'Cause every little thing,
	 gonna be alright"		-Bob Marley

keith@actrix.gen.nz (Keith Stewart) (01/09/91)

Silvia) writes:

> [...]
the
> A2000's bus buffers, on the local bus next to the 68000.  But a
slightly flakey
> Zorro II card can change its characteristics based on slot position
and the
> existance of any other boards on the bus.  Like I said, I don't know
anything
> about the GVP card; you may have just as well run into a software
problem of
> some kind.  But from what this guy said to you, it sounds like they
have some
> kind of a problem they're not telling you about.
>
> >-- John Silvia
>
> --
> Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>    {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
>  "Don't worry, 'bout a thing. 'Cause every little thing,

SOB!!!!!!!! It looks like I will be bitten again. Having purchased a
2000-A Amiga when they first came out and found that I had bought an
orphan I got a 2000-B. Added a 2058 card and when I found I couldn't do
without a hard drive any more decided to get a 2091. But Commodore here
in NZ are still selling the 2090a only. Not trusting to get hardware
from overseas I decided after much research to get my second choice
locally i.e a GVP Series II /RAM. I have to say it has performed
flawlessly but it is the only card in the slots. A few replies to my
net-question gave positive noises on the Series II (except for Matt C)
who warned me off the GVP. But because of our mail system I had the
card.
Now I hope to get either a 2630 or GVP3001 accelerator board. I hope
that the Series II is not incompatible with them?
Any info gratefully received as local distributor guaranteed full
compatability.
PS I am still impressed with the card and the speed of it. Its just I
don't want to back myself into a corner like I did with the 2000-A.
Thanks

In article <1991Jan8.225149.26409@actrix.gen.nz> keith@actrix.gen.nz (Keith Stewart) writes:
>SOB!!!!!!!! It looks like I will be bitten again. Having purchased a
>2000-A Amiga when they first came out and found that I had bought an
>orphan I got a 2000-B. Added a 2058 card and when I found I couldn't do
>without a hard drive any more decided to get a 2091. But Commodore here
>in NZ are still selling the 2090a only. Not trusting to get hardware
>from overseas I decided after much research to get my second choice
>locally i.e a GVP Series II /RAM. I have to say it has performed
>flawlessly but it is the only card in the slots. A few replies to my
>net-question gave positive noises on the Series II (except for Matt C)
>who warned me off the GVP. But because of our mail system I had the
>card.
>Now I hope to get either a 2630 or GVP3001 accelerator board. I hope
>that the Series II is not incompatible with them?
>Any info gratefully received as local distributor guaranteed full
>compatability.

	Before you get too worried I would try it and see if it works.  Even
if there is a hardware problem, it may only occur in certain batches of
boards, or with certain motherboard revisions, or if you get unlucky and get
a more marginal than normal one.  GVP does not, in general, have a bad
reputation, so I would say your chances are pretty good of things working.
If they don't, then worry about the problem or yell at GVP.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)