[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Will a 1084 speak EGA?

gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) (01/08/91)

My girlfriend has a Bridgeboard and a 1084S monitor. Can she use the 1084
with an EGA card using the digital inputs to the monitor?

If this works, will it support all of the EGA modes or just the 16-color
modes. (From what I remember there is a >250 line monochrome mode that
really shouldn't work from my thinking.)

--
<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
<  FRANK BRANHAM                      | "I exist; therefore I am."             >

In article <19289@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) writes:
>My girlfriend has a Bridgeboard and a 1084S monitor. Can she use the 1084
>with an EGA card using the digital inputs to the monitor?

No, please don't try it. You might damage the monitor.
We tried with two monitors. The first showed a very small picture
and died after some hours. The second had a little bigger picture
but still smaller than normal and survived that 8-day faire.
But if you don't want to risk your equipment, don't do it.

Obviously the scan rates for EGA differ so heavily from normal
Amiga modes that the 1084 can't synchronize properly. And this
is always an extreme stress for monitors.

glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) (01/08/91)

In article <19289@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) writes:
>My girlfriend has a Bridgeboard and a 1084S monitor. Can she use the 1084
>with an EGA card using the digital inputs to the monitor?
>
>If this works, will it support all of the EGA modes or just the 16-color
>modes. (From what I remember there is a >250 line monochrome mode that
>really shouldn't work from my thinking.)
>
><  FRANK BRANHAM                      | "I exist; therefore I am."             >
The 1084 will only display IBM graphics as high as CGA, EGA is not
possible.

Matt Crowd

choelzl@thibav.UUCP (Christoph Hoelzl) (01/10/91)

>In article <698@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>In article <19289@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) writes:
>>My girlfriend has a Bridgeboard and a 1084S monitor. Can she use the 1084
>>with an EGA card using the digital inputs to the monitor?
>
>No, please don't try it. You might damage the monitor.
>We tried with two monitors. The first showed a very small picture
>and died after some hours. The second had a little bigger picture
>but still smaller than normal and survived that 8-day faire.
>But if you don't want to risk your equipment, don't do it.
>
>Obviously the scan rates for EGA differ so heavily from normal
>Amiga modes that the 1084 can't synchronize properly. And this
>is always an extreme stress for monitors.
>
>--
>Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel  // E-Mail to  \\  Only my personal opinions...
>Commodore Frankfurt, Germany  \X/ {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

currently i have a genoa superega hires+ 4880 ega-card installed in my pc.
(will be a vga-card + nec 3d soon :-) ). i'm feeding the video output to the
RGB-TTL input (DIN-jack) of my 1081 (should not be too different to an 1084
i guess (internal electronics)).
the system works fine, as long as i use the lowres ega modes e.g. 640*200 in
16 colours (suitable for sierra-adventures ;-) ). when trying higher
resolutions the monitor simply doesn't sync and produces 'screaming' noise.
(i suppose it won't do him (??) good, so then i turn it off.)
i tried the same connection to an optima-vga in lores-ega-modes, but it
was a failure, so i guess it's a nice hw-feature of the genoa-card.

Best regards ...

     ///   Christoph Hoelzl
 \\\///    PHONE: (+49) 9901 6394
  \XX/     UUCP : ..cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmger!danube!thibav!choelzl