[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] PC-Elevator 386 with A2088 -- Reliable?

mtheo@well.sf.ca.us (Mark Theodoropoulos) (01/06/91)

The PC-Elevator 386 board from Applied Reasoning got good reviews
when it first came out.  The company has discontinued the line and
no longer supports Amiga, having moved on to the Apollo market.

Does anyone have firsthand experience running this board with the
CBM XT Bridgeboard, particularly with ADOS 1.3, Janus 2.0, and
MS-DOS 3.3?  I have the opportunity to pick one up cheap, can't
get along without *some* PeeSea capability, and drool over the
claimed 12x speedup, but I can't see giving up the current OSs.
Setup is A2000+2Meg, A2088, Lapine 20M HD with SMS controller on
XT card.

Horror stories or encouragement would be very welcome.  Thanks.

--
mtheo@well.sf.ca.us      ||      My other .signature is a quotable witticism.

mtheo@well.sf.ca.us (Hideo Gump) (01/10/91)

In the referenced article, I wrote:

>The PC-Elevator 386 board from Applied Reasoning got good reviews
>when it first came out.  The company has discontinued the line and
>no longer supports Amiga, having moved on to the Apollo market.
>
>Does anyone have firsthand experience running this board with the
>CBM XT Bridgeboard, particularly with ADOS 1.3, Janus 2.0, and
>MS-DOS 3.3?  I have the opportunity to pick one up cheap . . .

I did try the board, and had no luck with Janus 2.0, although the
386's POST--up until the point where it coughed blood--was fast
enough to make you drool.  Applied Reasoning's exceptionally
pleasant tech support staff confirmed that it's no go.

If you're willing to live without the enhanced services of version
2, you might want to check this out as a cheap way of speeding up
the lowly XT BB to a scream.  Otherwise, the 2286, or for that matter
a cheap clone if you have the desk space :-), seems to be the best way
to keep the MS-DOGods pacified.

--
mtheo@well.sf.ca.us      ||      My other .signature is a quotable witticism.