[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Printing Help...

kellsworth@pbs.org (Video Magician) (01/10/91)

Greetings y'all!

I have a C.Itoh Riteman 15 printer connected to my A2000.  The printer
driver for the CBM1250 (EpsonX) seems to make it work fairly well, but
there are still some small problems.

Printing a draft for NLQ rendition of text from ProWrite 2.5 will
occasionally skip a line, and often add two spaces between words.  It
looks a little like the thing is trying to force proportional spacing,
but the left-justified text is still properly ragged on the right.

This problem finally became worth looking into last night because my
daughter has finally decided to use the computer to do some of her
school papers.  Unfortunately, the blank line and odd spacing is not
the best image to turn in to a critical teacher!

I am wondering if someone has any thoughts on why these problems are
appearing.  I have a copy of Word Perfect V4.? that I'm going to try,
along with some other things.  However, I'm starting my quest for
perfection here.

Any ideas?  Preferences information?  Different driver?  Weird set-ups
in the word processor?

Thanks, everyone.  Now back to work!

-------
Keith Ellsworth
Editor
Public Broadcasting Service -- TV Worth Watching and Worth Paying For!

kellsworth@pbs.org (Video Magician) (01/11/91)

> Printing a draft for NLQ rendition of text from ProWrite 2.5 will
                   ---
                    ^--(should be "or", as in "...draft or NLQ...")
> occasionally skip a line, and often add two spaces between words.  It
> looks a little like the thing is trying to force proportional spacing,
> but the left-justified text is still properly ragged on the right.

Thanks again,
Keith

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan10.095908.11280@pbs.org> kellsworth@pbs.org (Video Magician) writes:
>Greetings y'all!
>
>I have a C.Itoh Riteman 15 printer connected to my A2000.  The printer
>driver for the CBM1250 (EpsonX) seems to make it work fairly well, but
>there are still some small problems.
>
>Printing a draft for NLQ rendition of text from ProWrite 2.5 will
>occasionally skip a line, and often add two spaces between words.  It
>looks a little like the thing is trying to force proportional spacing,
>but the left-justified text is still properly ragged on the right.

I wrote a printer driver for the Citoh ProWriter and tried to figure
out what ProWrite was attempting to do with NLQ mode since it didn't
work with my driver either. Well, I didn't spend much time on it and
thus it never made sense to me.  I suppose it would help to find out
just what ProWrite is trying to do here. I have tried NLQ mode on 5
different printers/drivers, and have yet to see it behave differently
from what you have described.

Can anyone enlighten me on this situation? Please. If I ever figure out
how to get Manx 5.0d to compile a printer driver in a straightforward
manner, I would like to get this working.

Thanks,
Kent Polk: Southwest Research Institute (512) 522-2882
Internet : kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
UUCP     : $ {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent