[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Z-Modem x-fers with XPRZmodem

LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET (Leon D. Shaner) (01/09/91)

Can anyone shed some light where improving performance/efficiency is concerned
during file transfers on an unaccelerated B2000 running 1.3 WB and 1.2 KS ????

I have a CheckPoint 'The Serial Solution' two-port serial card in addition to
the built-in port, but the problem occurs on any of the three ports...  When
data is being received in a Z-Modem transfer, using the XPRZmodem.library,
there is almost no CPU left for other tasks, and the transfer is only 2400bps!

What I need help in determining is whether the inefficiency is likely to be in
the hardware, the software drivers for the hardware, in the XPRZmodem.library,
or in the program making the calls to the XPRZmodem.library (a stand-alone cli
process which handles opening the port and initiating the transfer, etc.)

Another point which I must mention is that it is when receiving data,
rather than when sending, that the machine gets all bogged down.

It was my guess that The Serial Solution card was requiring that the CPU manage
each byte that came over the line and that was requiring more attention...
Timing would be far more critical when receiving data, than when sending, so I
expect that to be part of the inefficiency...  This made some sense until I
realized that the built-in serial port behaves pretty much the same, speedwise.

Any guesses, hints, or divine revelations appreciated...

--Leon

+--------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
+------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (01/11/91)

LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET (Leon D. Shaner) writes:

>I have a CheckPoint 'The Serial Solution' two-port serial card in addition to
<del>
>there is almost no CPU left for other tasks, and the transfer is only 2400bps!

>What I need help in determining is whether the inefficiency is likely to be in
<del>
>process which handles opening the port and initiating the transfer, etc.)

>Another point which I must mention is that it is when receiving data,
>rather than when sending, that the machine gets all bogged down.

Well assuming that VLT works the same way the only time my A500 gets bogged
down is when VLT has too high a Priority.
(It got set high when i was using a DIR tool to run it)

When the Pri was 2, i might as well take a nap waiting for a LS to
come back to me.

Check ya Priorities, (Try ARTM ect...)

PS: I've noticed (Via snoopdos) that Zmodem (XPRzmodem) checks the
env: var zmodem for SOMTHING.. What's it looking for?

Default settings for using the "Cli Zmodem thinggie"
(My guess)
C-ya.
.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (01/12/91)

john@wpi.WPI.EDU (John F Stoffel) writes:
>I have a 2500 and have the same problem when downloading.  I like to
>start big downloadds and then go and play MechForce, but when using
>XPRZmodem it keeps timing out for some reason on the other end.  It
>seems to work fine when I do nothing though.  I'm also doing the DL at
>2400.

Aghhh! You are Multitasking WITH MechForce? That Game is a CPU HOG!
(It says so in the DOCS!) try wiggling the Mouse when it shoots missles.. (I'm assuming ya mean the Battletech combat (NOT the InfoCom Trashy Prog

Zmodem seems to be REAL senisitive to Time outs..

>Switching to kermit using 1K packets worked fine.  Little slow in the

Possible the Kermit prog sending is SOOOOO slow it can handle it????