[net.space] Shuttle Comps etc

@S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC.ARPA:jim@TYCHO.ARPA (07/08/85)

From: jim@TYCHO.ARPA    (James B. Houser)

Hi

        Thanx for the numerous replies on my question  about  the  STS
computers.  Those  beasties are really grotesque!!  A number of people
mentioned rumors of a plan to  upgrade  the  system  but  no  concrete
pointer  emerged  from  the discussion.  Any words from NASA types out
there?

        There were also a lot of interesting responses to  the  "money
to burn" interstellar probe thought experiment.  The general consensus
seemed to be that it could not be done given the design constraints or
if  so  just  barely.  Most  people proposed a laser driven light sail
propulsion system though several other ideas were suggested too.  What
would  happen  if  we applied these same ideas to designing a fast and
simple probe to Pluto/Charon?  Any thoughts?

			Jim Houser (jim@tycho)

-------

eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (07/12/85)

PLEASE MOVE THE DISCUSSION OF IMAX/OMNIMAX INTERIA TO net.movies or
net.rec.photo.  Does its really belong here?

> From: jim@TYCHO.ARPA    (James B. Houser)
>
> Hi
>
>         Thanx for the numerous replies on my question  about  the  STS
> computers.  Those  beasties are really grotesque!!  A number of people
> mentioned rumors of a plan to  upgrade  the  system  but  no  concrete
> pointer  emerged  from  the discussion.  Any words from NASA types out
> there?
>
> 			Jim Houser (jim@tycho)

I don't think are any plans in the immediate lifetime of the shuttle
to upgrade them.  As others have pointed out there were technology
freezes in the early 1970s which 'forced' this.  Payload computers
will certainly change, but don't expect these.  This is called "if it works
don't fix it."  Oh hum.

On an added note: on a recent trip to the Dryden Landing site, I saw
a little case in the visitor center there showing onboard avonics
history: 1960, 1970, 1980s and sample electronics.  The 1980s [future]
were represented with Intel 8080s [it's the numbers right?] :-)
Service technologies to aerodynamics are unfortunately always oing to
take a backseat.  [Until some one leaps ahead.]  Dryden has a much better
museum and gift shop than Ames.

--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  {hplabs,ihnp4,dual,hao,decwrl,allegra}!ames!aurora!eugene
  emiya@ames-vmsb.ARPA