[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Snapping 1080 Monitor

umrobbin@ccu.umanitoba.ca (01/10/91)

I own one of the early versions of the 1080 monitor, which is prone to
snapping when there is a sound like a static discharge and the picture flicks
and sometimes rolls one frame.

In the October 1989 Amiga Transactor, there is a letter claiming that this is
caused by a high voltage anode wire and a heat sink acting like a capacitor;
when the heatsink charges up, it discharges to a ground strip on the circuit
board (to which the heatsink is attached with a metal twist tab).  The letter
says that they found traces from the discharges, and by cleaning them up,
cutting off the metal tab and insulating the wire, the problem cleared up.

I looked inside my monitor, and could find no trace of a discharge path on
the board.  Have other people fixed this problem in the same way?  Are there
other hypotheses about the cause of this snapping?

What effect does insulating the HV wire have?  (Surely there is no discharge
from the wire...?)

Steve Robbins
umrobbin@ccu.umanitoba.ca

spworley@athena.mit.edu (Spaceman Spiff) (01/10/91)

Beleive it or not, my 1950 multisync  has had the same symptoms- a LOUD snap,
                      ^^^^
the picture dies for 1/10 of a second and then comes back just fine. This
has happened to me 3 times in 5 months.  The snap is LOUD- it startled me
so bad one time that I fell over in my chair. :-)
I could bring it in for service, but it my monitor is flawless other than
this.

So whats the story? Has Commodore forgotten what it learned about the 1080?

-Steve

Steve Worley                                           spworley@athena.mit.edu

zlnem@marlin.jcu.edu.au (N Milward) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan10.103243.12347@athena.mit.edu> spworley@athena.mit.edu (Spaceman Spiff) writes:

>Beleive it or not, my 1950 multisync  has had the same symptoms- a LOUD snap,
>                      ^^^^
>the picture dies for 1/10 of a second and then comes back just fine. This
>has happened to me 3 times in 5 months.  The snap is LOUD- it startled me
>so bad one time that I fell over in my chair. :-)
>I could bring it in for service, but it my monitor is flawless other than
>this.
>
>So whats the story? Has Commodore forgotten what it learned about the 1080?
>

>-Steve

>Steve Worley                                           spworley@athena.mit.edu

I had this problem on a 1084 monitor, but after the snap the picture
stayed off and to get the picture back I had to hit the side of the
monitor case.  I took it in to get repaired and they said it was dry
joints due to expansion and contraction of the motherboard etc due
to movement.  The monitor now seems fine.

				Ross Milward.

zlnem@marlin.jcu.edu.au

dsheythe@milton.u.washington.edu (Donald Sheythe) (01/14/91)

In article <1991Jan10.065858.25700@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umrobbin@ccu.umanitoba.ca writes:
>I own one of the early versions of the 1080 monitor, which is prone to
>snapping when there is a sound like a static discharge and the picture flicks
>and sometimes rolls one frame.

My 1080 started doing this too...

>I looked inside my monitor, and could find no trace of a discharge path on
>the board.  Have other people fixed this problem in the same way?

I couldn't see any trace of this discharge either, but went ahead and
cut off the tab, cleaned up some dust and haven't had any problems since.

>Steve Robbins
>umrobbin@ccu.umanitoba.ca--

Don Sheythe
dsheythe@u.washington.edu