[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Old Koala Pad

peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) (01/10/91)

Does anyone have the pin-out specifications for a Koala Pad?
It is a pressure sensitive drawing pad made for the old
Atari computers.  It was made by Koala Technologies Corp, and
is model #004.  Before anyone tells me that it has awful resoltion
and that I should buy something better for my amiga, this is
free and sitting in my lap at the moment....

But if you did know its resolution I wouldn't complain if you
told me. :)

My primary interest in hooking this up is to provide an easy
to use drawing medium for 2 to 3 year olds.....  and if the
resolution isn't too awful, for doing some of my own drawings...

Oh yeah, one last detail.  It has a standard 9 pin joystick
connector.

Thanks for your help,
Joe Peck
peck@ral.rpi.edu

peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) in <!KY^+F%@rpi.edu> writes:
                                   ^^^^^^^
                                   (mailer garbage?)

	Does anyone have the pin-out specifications for a Koala Pad?
	It is a pressure sensitive drawing pad made for the old
	Atari computers.  It was made by Koala Technologies Corp, and
	^^^^^
Also for the C-64

Since some of the C64 peripherals (e.g. joysticks) work just fine on the
Amiga, I would venture to guess you could just plug the Koala pad into the
Amiga's joystick port and see what happens.  The Koala "may" simply emulate
a joystick.

Point being: the +5 and ground pins and the (joy)stick "direction" pins seem
to be the same else the C64 joysticks wouldn't work as well as they do on the
Amiga.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com ]

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (01/10/91)

thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

>peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) in <!KY^+F%@rpi.edu> writes:
>	Does anyone have the pin-out specifications for a Koala Pad?
>	It is a pressure sensitive drawing pad made for the old
>	Atari computers.  It was made by Koala Technologies Corp, and

>Since some of the C64 peripherals (e.g. joysticks) work just fine on the
>Amiga, I would venture to guess you could just plug the Koala pad into the
>Amiga's joystick port and see what happens.  The Koala "may" simply emulate
>a joystick.

I don't know anything about the Atari 800 or C-64, but the Koala Pad I
had on my Apple IIe looked like an analog joystick to the system. So
anything that reads the pot inputs on the Amiga would be a good place
to start. I wouldn't be too surprised if you had to rearrange some of
the pins though.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne%javelin@dsd.es.com     ...dsd.es.com!javelin!blgardne   (I hope)

871579l@aucs.AcadiaU.ca (Todd Lowe) (01/11/91)

In article <37819@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) in <!KY^+F%@rpi.edu> writes:
>
>	Does anyone have the pin-out specifications for a Koala Pad?
>
>Since some of the C64 peripherals (e.g. joysticks) work just fine on the
>Amiga, I would venture to guess you could just plug the Koala pad into the
>Amiga's joystick port and see what happens.  The Koala "may" simply emulate
>a joystick.
>

>Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com ]

The Koala Pad was based on variable resistance similar to an analog joystick.
It uses the paddle ports on the C=64, and can be read with the Amiga, but I
have not seen any software designed to use paddles (that's what the pad would
replace) on the Amiga.

-Todd

PS: Our PNews has been acting up could someone let me know if they see this
    other than at Acadia.

peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) (01/11/91)

In article <37819@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) in <!KY^+F%@rpi.edu> writes:
>                                   ^^^^^^^
>                                   (mailer garbage?)

Yeah, it is garbage.  Why is it there though?  Oh well, I guess I'll
leave that to the mail gods....

>	Does anyone have the pin-out specifications for a Koala Pad?
>	It is a pressure sensitive drawing pad made for the old
>	Atari computers.  It was made by Koala Technologies Corp, and
>	^^^^^
>Also for the C-64
>
>Since some of the C64 peripherals (e.g. joysticks) work just fine on the
>Amiga, I would venture to guess you could just plug the Koala pad into the
>Amiga's joystick port and see what happens.  The Koala "may" simply emulate
>a joystick.

Well, I recieved some mail from Jeff Lavin, and he has a little
assembly language hack to drive the pad.  Although he didn't actually
say, enough other people have so it seems that the pad is a resistive
type.  A little proportional input reading should work just fine.

I would like to thank everyone for their help, I only have one
of these.  I would have hated to have fried it by guessing.....

Joe
peck@ral.rpi.edu

jlavin@cie.uoregon.edu (Jeff Lavin) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan10.144203.9203@javelin.es.com> blgardne%javelin@dsd.es.com writes:
>thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>
>>peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) in <!KY^+F%@rpi.edu> writes:
>>	Does anyone have the pin-out specifications for a Koala Pad?
>>	It is a pressure sensitive drawing pad made for the old
>>	Atari computers.  It was made by Koala Technologies Corp, and
>
>>Since some of the C64 peripherals (e.g. joysticks) work just fine on the
>>Amiga, I would venture to guess you could just plug the Koala pad into the
>>Amiga's joystick port and see what happens.  The Koala "may" simply emulate
>>a joystick.
>
>I don't know anything about the Atari 800 or C-64, but the Koala Pad I
>had on my Apple IIe looked like an analog joystick to the system. So
>anything that reads the pot inputs on the Amiga would be a good place
>to start. I wouldn't be too surprised if you had to rearrange some of
>the pins though.
>--
>Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
>blgardne%javelin@dsd.es.com     ...dsd.es.com!javelin!blgardne   (I hope)
>{decwrl, utah-cs}!esunix!blgardne
>DoD #0046   My other motorcycle is a Quadracer.         BIX: blaine_g

I don't know about the Apple ][ version, but the C64 Koala Pad can indeed
be hooked up to the Amiga.  No pin changes are required, but 1 resistor
internally must be changed because of the different sampling rate on the
Amiga.

The pad looks like a proportional joystick, and a little driver to make
it produce input events from port 1 was fairly simple.  The only problem
was that Intuition, prior to 2.0, went right to the hardware looking for
mousebuttons for its gadgets and menus.

Except for this irritation, I have had the pad working with DPaint III,
and under Release 2.0, the buttons aren't a problem anymore.  Works fine
on the 3000, too!

If anyone wants to post the code, send me a disk, and I'll send back the
driver and a schematic.  Please use email to get my USnail address.

Jeff-

The Puzzle Factory, Inc.  | Jeff Lavin -- jlavin@cie.uoregon.edu
Veneta, Oregon            |-------------------------------------
Voice : (503) 935-3709    | Remainder of signature line
Data  : (503) 935-7883    | under construction.

danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com (Dan Bachmann, SubOp) (01/14/91)

        I'm pretty sure the Koala pad was read just like a paddle on the Commo
Commodore 64 and probably the Atari also.
 ProLine: danb20@pro-graphics           ***************************
    UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!danb20  *       Dan Bachmann      *
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!danb20@nosc.mil  *  Raritan Valley College *
Internet: danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com   ***************************
  P-Link: DanB20        <-- I only read PLink once a mo. use Internet
U.S.Mail: 509 StonyBrook Drive, Bridgewater, NJ 08807