[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Floppy disk "adjustment" screw

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (01/14/91)

I have an A1000 that, until this morning had a dead internal floppy,
a Matsushita/namiki.  It would read the KS disk, but not the WB.  After
fooling around with it awhile, to no avail, I noticed a small adjustment
screw on the bottom.  Since nothing else had worked, I started adjusting
the screw.  After 2 turns counter clockwise, it would no longer even read
the KS disk, so I started the other way.  After 5 1/2 turns clockwise (from
the original position) it started to work again.  OH BOY!!!

Anyway, I now have a working A1000 again.  Still, it makes me nervous because
I don't have the faintest idea what I've done.  Could some kind soul out there
enlighten me?  Thanks.

                      lee

slfields@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Scott L Fields) (01/15/91)

In article <91013.115359UH2@psuvm.psu.edu> UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:
>I have an A1000 that, until this morning had a dead internal floppy,
>a Matsushita/namiki.  It would read the KS disk, but not the WB.  After
>fooling around with it awhile, to no avail, I noticed a small adjustment
>screw on the bottom.  Since nothing else had worked, I started adjusting
>the screw.  After 2 turns counter clockwise, it would no longer even read
>the KS disk, so I started the other way.  After 5 1/2 turns clockwise (from
>the original position) it started to work again.  OH BOY!!!
>
>Anyway, I now have a working A1000 again.  Still, it makes me nervous because
>I don't have the faintest idea what I've done.  Could some kind soul out there
>enlighten me?  Thanks.

I calculate a 93.46% chance that you adjusted the disk rotational rate.
Usually, that is the part of a drive that goes out of alignment.