[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Across the NET transactions

vaughn@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Chris Vaughn) (01/13/91)

I've got a question which I think fits in here...

With all the hardware I see for sale on the net, how do people handle the
transactions?  I mean, how do both parties safeguard themselves so that the
buyer doesn't get ripped off by buying faulty equipment with no guarantee, and
the seller doesn't send off the equipment and never receive any money?

I realize, of course, that if both sides are completely honest and trusting,
then this is a simple matter.  Unfortunately, that's not the way most of the
world works...
Chris Vaughn			| Or some junk...
Junior in Computer Science	|
University of Kansas		|
vaughn@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu	|

ron@vicorp.com (Ron Peterson) (01/15/91)

In article <27849.278f5686@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> vaughn@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Chris Vaughn) writes:

>With all the hardware I see for sale on the net, how do people handle the
>transactions?  I mean, how do both parties safeguard themselves so that the
>buyer doesn't get ripped off by buying faulty equipment with no guarantee, and
>the seller doesn't send off the equipment and never receive any money?

I have purchased several items through the net: movie cameras and projectors,
a Commodore 64 computer and a C64 cartridge.  In all cases I've just trusted
the seller and sent them a check.  So far no one has ripped me off.  I think
that most people who have access to the net work at high tech jobs and have
no need to steal from anyone.  Students would be an exception to that but
so far they've dealt with me fairly.  One solution I've heard of is to
send the item COD.  This protects both sides pretty well.
ron@vicorp.com  or uunet!vicorp!ron