[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Does FFV

jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) (01/11/91)

I'm interested in removing the flicker from my interlaced video, however I
don't want to get Microway's flickerFixer board because I use both PAL and
NTSC, and to take advantage of the flickerFixer board on both requires two
boards (or so I have been led to believe because PAL doesn't seem to work
on my friends flickerFixer).  I'd rather get one product that can be used
on both NTSC & PAL machines, and stick with that.

Does FFV have the ability to switch between PAL & NTSC?  How big is the FFV
box?  Has anyone seen one in action?  How do you like it?

Thanks.

| "Earth destroyed by solar flare.  Film at eleven"  - The last nightly news.|
| jeffo@uiuc.edu (Internet)             These opinions are mine, that's all. |

wfaust@venus.UUCP (Wolf Faust) (01/12/91)

In article <1991Jan10.223141.8719@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, J.B. Nicholson writes:

> Does FFV have the ability to switch between PAL & NTSC?  How big is the FFV
> box?  Has anyone seen one in action?  How do you like it?

What about purchasing something from germany? TV-Standard is PAL in
germany and only a flickerfixer with PAL (NTSC works with every PAL
board I know) is acceptable. So there are some really good PAL/NTSC
boards out here (microway only claims to have a PAL board, but
this board does only one line less than PAL, No Overscann... in my
opinion this is no PAL).

So here is a list with boards/infos/my opinion/price:

-----------  "Flicker-Master"  ------------------

Resolution: up to 844*575 (PAL&NTSC)
Colors:   up to 16     (32... color palette gets optimized to 16 colors)
Frequency: 50-65Hz
Price: ca. 450DM ($300)

Other:  this is a small external Box and works fine with every A1000.
The monitor is connected through the TTL port.

My opinion:  in case you have an A1000/A500 and you don't work with
interlaced HAM only, this is your flickerfixer.  One thing this box
really does fine:  a extremly SHARP picture on your monitor.
As far as I know, this board is developed/build in america. So
look out for a distributor near to you.

Address:
DIT-Dienstleistungen & Informationstechnologie
Musfeldstr. 1a
W-4200 Oberhausen 12
Germany
Tel: ++49-208-605645

-----------  "Highgraph V" ----------------------
Resolution: up to 832*620 (PAL&NTSC)
Colors:  supports all graphic modis
Frequency: 50Hz-60Hz
Price: ca. 598DM ($400)

Other:  Board for the A2000 videoslot, RGB TTL and analog port,
does doublescan modus

My opinion: A fine solution. Works very well without any known
problems in all modis and supports overscan.

Address:
Ralf Jochheim Computer Tuning
Osnabruecker Strasse 96
W-4802 Halle
Germany
Tel: ++49-2823-1275
FAX: ++49-2823-1350

----------- "Deinterlace Card" ------------------
Resolution: up to 736*598 (PAL&NTSC)
Colors:  supports all graphic modis
Frequency: can't give precise values, but at least 45-75Hz (see below)
Price: ca. 498DM ($332)
Price with Sony speakers: ca. 549DM ($366)

Other:  Board for the A2000 videoslot.  For all A2000 users:  this
is  it!!   This  card  is by far the best I have ever seen.  Works
very  well  without  any  known  problems  in  all modis, supports
overscan, well build and cheap(!).

There are also some special features:

- 8W stereo amplifier on board, so you can easily connect your non activ
  speakers.
- includes software to program agnus for different frequencys
  (my monitor allowed 45-130Hz!! No flicker ;-))
  For instance you can have following settings:

       736*400 (NTSC without Overscan) with 70Hz!!!
       736*284 (Medres with Overscan)  with 100Hz!!!

Address:
Macro Systems
Gahlenfeldstrasse 6
W-5804 Herdecke
Germany
Tel: ++49-2330-84142
FAX: ++49-2330-73055

There are more flickerfixers available here in germany. I didn't
mentioned their name, because I think they are to expensive and their
product doesn't compete to the boards above.

And for the coke-coffein question:  Due to my work in a laboratory
I had the possibility to use a HPLC (High-Pressure-Liquid-Chromatograph).
All three samples of coca-cola showed up with 60mg/0,33l coffein.
BUT this may differ with time and water-quality...

Anyway... this is far less than coffee or tea has (did you now
that cacao has up to 3% coffein? get yourself milk and cacao! This
is far better for your health, because there is no sugar!)

-----
Wolf Faust    UUCP:cbmvax.commodore.com!cbmehq!cbmger!venus!wfaust
Tel: (+49)69 5486556         FIDO: 2:243/43.5

hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) (01/12/91)

In article <1991Jan10.223141.8719@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) writes:
>I'm interested in removing the flicker from my interlaced video, however I
>don't want to get Microway's flickerFixer board because I use both PAL and
>NTSC, and to take advantage of the flickerFixer board on both requires two
>boards (or so I have been led to believe because PAL doesn't seem to work
>on my friends flickerFixer).  I'd rather get one product that can be used
>on both NTSC & PAL machines, and stick with that.
>
>Does FFV have the ability to switch between PAL & NTSC?  How big is the FFV
>box?  Has anyone seen one in action?  How do you like it?
>
>Thanks.
>
>--
>+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| "Earth destroyed by solar flare.  Film at eleven"  - The last nightly news.|
>+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| jeffo@uiuc.edu (Internet)             These opinions are mine, that's all. |
>+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

The answer to your hardware needs is most likely the Commodore A2320
display enhancer board.  The A2320 does both PAL and NTSC and ECS modes
automatically and even works with some genlocks at the same time.  The
list price for the FFV product in the US is $499 while the A2320 is
$299.

Hope this helps,

Scott Hood

Scott Hood, Hardware Design Engineer (A3000 Crew),  Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!hood   hood@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
  "The views expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer!"

bryanh@amix.commodore.com (Bryan Harpel) (01/13/91)

jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) writes:

> I'm interested in removing the flicker from my interlaced video, however I
> don't want to get Microway's flickerFixer board because I use both PAL and
> NTSC, and to take advantage of the flickerFixer board on both requires two
> boards (or so I have been led to believe because PAL doesn't seem to work
> on my friends flickerFixer).  I'd rather get one product that can be used
> on both NTSC & PAL machines, and stick with that.
>
> Does FFV have the ability to switch between PAL & NTSC?  How big is the FFV
> box?  Has anyone seen one in action?  How do you like it?

   ICD's add DOES boast autoswitching between PAL and NTSC, which is what
I am also interested in.  Although I don't own one, I would like to,
which brings up a question of my own.  What would be the best monitor for
the job, and what is a good reputable dealer to purchase one from?  I was
considering the NEC 3d ...

          Bryan

hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) writes:

> The answer to your hardware needs is most likely the Commodore A2320
> display enhancer board.  The A2320 does both PAL and NTSC and ECS modes
> automatically and even works with some genlocks at the same time.  The
> list price for the FFV product in the US is $499 while the A2320 is
> $299.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Scott Hood

    Just for reference, the Flicker Free Video can be obtained for $329
at Computability (1-800-558-0003).  Not a bad price for the performance
the article (advertisement) in Amigaworld describes.

          Bryan

martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) (01/15/91)

Sorry to interrupt, but speaking of flicker free VIDEO:

In article <17403@cbmvax.commodore.com> Scott Hood writes:

>> jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) writes:
>>I'm interested in removing the flicker from my interlaced video..

>The answer to your hardware needs is most likely the Commodore A2320
>display enhancer board.

   Is there a card for the Amiga (A3000) that can genlock say, a 640x400
screen with a video signal, and show the result on a multisync monitor,
without any flicker?  And by any chance, can this (or any) card
the amiga) put a video signal in a resizable window?

   Daniel.

--
    // Daniel Martin                            Universite de Montreal   \\
   //  MediaLab, ca vous regarde!               C.P. 6128, Succursale A,  \\