[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 2088 Speedups

Dennis_Grant@CMR001.BITNET (01/15/91)

     OK, so part of my speedup plan won't work. No NEC V20 for me. Does
anybody (say, from Commedore Germany) know why?

     So let's try this route. Replace the 8088 with an 8088-2 or faster
Intel chip. (ie, a 8088 rated at greater than 4.77Mhz) and replace the
8234(?) timer chip, and the crystal. How fast can I overdrive this system.
(According to some books I have, on a standard PC I can get 6Mhz, maybe
8MHz if I replace the timer chip, over 9MHz depends on memory speed and
system speed)

     How fast can I go a) Replacing only the crystal and the 8088?
                       b)     "           "    "     and the timer?
                       c) a,b, and the memory?
     Or will this work at all?

 Also: Does anybody know why only half of the memory in the BB is socketed?

 Dr. Kittel, are you out there? MathCad is crying for more speed!

|       Dennis Grant DETUD595@CMR001.BITNET  CS Systems major at CMR        |
|                                                                           |
|     The great tragedy of science, the slaying of an original, beutiful    |
|                 hypothosis by an ugly fact. - Bloom County                |
|                                                                           |
|              Just because I said it, doesn't mean I meant it.             |

In article <910114.17475552.053607@CMR.CP6> Dennis_Grant@CMR001.BITNET writes:

>     OK, so part of my speedup plan won't work. No NEC V20 for me. Does
>anybody (say, from Commedore Germany) know why?
>
>     So let's try this route. Replace the 8088 with an 8088-2 or faster
>Intel chip. (ie, a 8088 rated at greater than 4.77Mhz) and replace the
>8234(?) timer chip, and the crystal. How fast can I overdrive this system.
>
> Dr. Kittel, are you out there? MathCad is crying for more speed!

Oh, don't ask me! Yes I know a little about hardware, but nearly
nothing about the tricks you have to do on turboing the bridgeboard.
Well, there is a company here that sells such upgrades and I yet
didn't see anyone who did such a project on his own.
The company is X-Pert Computersysteme
               Weiherwiese 27
               W-6270 Idstein/Ts.
               Tel 0049 / 6126 / 3056
I only saw their solution on photos. There is a small PCB attached
to the bridgeboard carrying a new crystal and two or three normal
ICs. Additionally there are some jumper wires and similar changes
on the rest of the board. Seems not so extremely easy...