[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] SCSI and ZBR

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (01/15/91)

>In article <091414.29057@timbuk.cray.com> paws@cray.com (Daniel Baehr) writes:
>
> Do ANY or ALL of the current SCSI controllers
>for the AMIGA (any model) support HDs that have
>ZBR? I ask because I would like to get the Seagate
>ST41520N Elite 1.6 G drive for my 2000 and set up

1.6G Elite?? Life is bad!

>parnet between it and my bbs. I know what ZBR means
>on the drive end and I would think that the controller
>wouldn't care how the drive retrieves/stores the data,
>as long as it does it correctly.

Right. The only gotcha with ZBR drives is when your SCSI driver software
insists on knowing the drive geometry for some random reason. I don't have
a ZBR drive, but I when I installed my drive, I lied and said it was a one
sided drive 84 megs long. You might have to do a similar trick... just
figure the total number of blocks on the drive, and figure a geometry that
"comes out right" from that. SCSI was supposed to prevent us from worrying
about all this head-cylinder-sector stuff, I dunno why my host adaptor
insists on it.

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |