[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A3000 Prob - Cannot Read Kickstart

jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) (01/16/91)

A guy in my office here has just purchased a new 3000 in the us.
He was unfamiliar with the Amiga and bought it on my reccomendation.
He was going through the manual and trying things out when, after
about 30 minutes, the system locked up with an error message saying
"Kickstart read error".  Subsequent attempts to boot off floppies
have not been successful.  Any ideas out there?  He has V2.0 of the
OS (I think).  I have NOT seen his system yet so cannot confirm the
accuracy of the error message but whatever it says is NOT documented
in the manuals he has with the system.

Thanks all
--
Jim Sanchez          | jim@syteke.be (PREFERRED)
Hughes LAN Systems   | OR uunet!mcsun!ub4b!syteke!jim

In article <1766@syteke.be> jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) writes:
>He was going through the manual and trying things out when, after
>about 30 minutes, the system locked up with an error message saying
>"Kickstart read error".  Subsequent attempts to boot off floppies
>have not been successful.  Any ideas out there?

	Boot using the SuperKickStart disk with the system.  He has to
cold boot (from power off).  You can also select which OS to boot and where
to load it from by holding down both mouse buttons when you turn on the
machine.  Once he's loaded the OS off floppy, it will want a floppy workbench
to boot off.  Put in the A3000 Install disk, and re-install the harddisk
(there should be instructions on this in the manual - it's pretty easy).
I suspect he deleted or renamed or somesuch his devs:kickstart file on
the WB_2.x: partition (it reads that at power-up by default to load the OS).

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)